Old 14th June 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Anything But Beatz!
Old 19th June 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
hey there, everyone.
I think i fell in a trap of paradox of choice.
i am trying to decide for three days which headphones to choose in 0-120 price range.
For mixing, not recording. Or lets say, versatile headphones.
i am producing some music (lets say, it i electronic stuff, not bass heavy with some guitars etc.).
I got M-Audio M-track (alesis ios2 express) audio interface (and infrasonic deux that lies in my wardrobe).
So, the list of headphones is old as hell.
K240
ATH-M40x
SH HD558 (whoa, maybe im drunk)
MDR7506 (maybe not).

So, i wonder, will my Audio interface be able to power any of these headphones? It is hard to find full specs for this interface((((
Well, it is important, cause i ve heard that K240 are useless if you can't drive them enough.
Thanks in advance
Old 19th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by killy.ridols View Post
hey there, everyone.
i am trying to decide for three days which headphones to choose in 0-120 price range.
i am producing some music (lets say, it i electronic stuff, not bass heavy with some guitars etc.).
I got M-Audio M-track (alesis ios2 express) audio interface (and infrasonic deux that lies in my wardrobe).
K240
ATH-M40x
MDR7506 (maybe not).

So, i wonder, will my Audio interface be able to power any of these headphones? It is hard to find full specs for this interface((((
Well, it is important, cause i ve heard that K240 are useless if you can't drive them enough.
Thanks in advance
Yamaha rh5ma headphones are great for mixing. And very easy to drive
Old 19th June 2015
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I like AT 50's, sound like speakers and the older non xones can be found less than $100-
Old 27th June 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Anyone listened to Vsonic GR07 Bass IEMs? Wow!
Old 28th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by killy.ridols View Post
hey there, everyone.
K240
ATH-M40x
MDR7506 (maybe not).

Thanks in advance
K240s will do just fine for mixing
Old 30th June 2015
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I have got to thank the people who recommended the Sony MDR 7520's. All I can say is, wow!. I think they are the best headphones I have heard in terms of transparency and detail!
I feel as if I can mix and produce comfortably on these and of course check my final mixes on speakers.
Old 1st July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsixtysix View Post
I have got to thank the people who recommended the Sony MDR 7520's. All I can say is, wow!. I think they are the best headphones I have heard in terms of transparency and detail!
I feel as if I can mix and produce comfortably on these and of course check my final mixes on speakers.
If you are using them exclusively, just be aware of the under-emphasis of the phantom centre that is a common result of mixing on cans. I'd test translation in your car, cel phone, PC etc. and see what you think requires compensation. But yes, they are easy headphones to use
Old 2nd July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
After using the Focal Twin6 be/Dynaudio Sub and the 7520's I don't check anything in the car anymore...
Sitting on top of the world now!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
After using the Focal Twin6 be/Dynaudio Sub and the 7520's I don't check anything in the car anymore...
Sitting on top of the world now!!!
I haven't heard the 7520s yet, but the general consensus is that they are a broad improvement on the popular 7506. One thing Sony do well in most of their headphones is bass reproduction - one of the most important things in headphones you are using to check a mix.
N.E
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfuzz View Post
I really like the Sennheiser HD 600.
+1
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigziglar View Post
If you are using them exclusively, just be aware of the under-emphasis of the phantom centre that is a common result of mixing on cans. I'd test translation in your car, cel phone, PC etc. and see what you think requires compensation. But yes, they are easy headphones to use
Thanks zigziglar for the heads up
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsixtysix View Post
Thanks zigziglar for the heads up
Most welcome
Old 19th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Picked up some AKG 712's last week, pretty impressive.
They sound nicely balanced all round, and are super comfortable too.
I've got several pairs of headphones for mixing, and these will certainly get a lot of use.
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKenterpro View Post
Beyer DT880 32ohms
Ultrasone pro 2900 (anyone use these yet)
Make sure you check the DT880 with bass heavy music. I found that it completely lacks in that department. They look very good and they have a fine resolution in the mid and highs but that hole in the bass is a faux pas.
Old 18th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by griploc_1981 View Post
That's obviously very subjective, but I discarded them quickly when checking out about 10-15 headphones.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Aphex Headpod 4

Don't know if this is still available anywhere, but their Aphex In 2 USB audio interface has a headphone out, too.

Aphex Headpod

Old 18th September 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
How hard would it be to design a headphone distribution amp with close to zero output impedance?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigziglar View Post
I haven't heard the 7520s yet, but the general consensus is that they are a broad improvement on the popular 7506. One thing Sony do well in most of their headphones is bass reproduction - one of the most important things in headphones you are using to check a mix.
The 7520's are completely different headphones and have nothing in common the the 7506's. Take a look at the drivers in the literature.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue monk View Post
Aphex Headpod 4

Don't know if this is still available anywhere, but their Aphex In 2 USB audio interface has a headphone out, too.

Aphex Headpod

I use it on every session! SOLID piece.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos30 View Post
Agree. They were my first serious headphones about 30 years ago. When they broke I immediately bought a new pair. Still have it in use from time to time for nostalgic reasons and I like this 70's look. But there are far better options today. From AKG and other manufacturers.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos30 View Post
Hard to really help people! I understand you!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
Agree. They were my first serious headphones about 30 years ago. When they broke I immediately bought a new pair. Still have it in use from time to time for nostalgic reasons and I like this 70's look. But there are far better options today. From AKG and other manufacturers.
the issue is if you don't have other options you can say stuff like that, but coming from hd600s and shure srh1440s no way! The low mid is worthless for mixing guitars, mid bass, toms etc it's way to muddy for mixing and artificially pushed low end distortions in the 240s. I can hardly even stand to listen to anything with them other then edm at work. I keep them around for tracking only.
Old 27th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue monk View Post
That's obviously very subjective, but I discarded them quickly when checking out about 10-15 headphones.
I was referring to a lesser expensive headphone that has a solid rating and is the industry standard in most studios around North America. I personally don't mix in headphones as i would rather in near field monitors
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
Anyone try the vintage K240 DF (Diffused Field)?

Best mixing headphones!k240 df | eBay
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Not really, only just got them. But they are promising as tools, although the sound quality is not amazing. Kind of straight to the point that needs fixing it seems. Something I don't normally get from headphones. And it does seem to travel to speakers.
Are you still liking this headphones? If not, what are you using now?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Picked up some AKG 712's last week, pretty impressive.
They sound nicely balanced all round, and are super comfortable too.
I've got several pairs of headphones for mixing, and these will certainly get a lot of use.
Now that you've had more time with the 712's do you still like them?
This is an old thread, but I highly recommend a Phone Phonitor headphone amp. It will allow you to compensate for the phantom image.
Old 27th September 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
m50 hands down
They translate beautifully to my jBL 6328 ps
πŸ“ Reply