The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best mixing headphones!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
I bought one (Presonus HP4) in 2011 for my first budget build. It didn't even last year.
It lasted about 10 minutes of listening here before going on ebay.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I've had to send my AKG K812 Headphones back as the right channel seems to have gone bad after just 11 months (think it's a dry electrical joint to the headband - seemed to be quite a common fault reading around), but as they don't have any more in stock I'm got a refund rather than a replacement.

I was looking to get the K872 instead once I got the refund, however they too are currently out of stock (well there's one available but it's £200 more than it was previously available for). I live in a flat with slightly clonky neighbours above and to the side of me so the sound isolation of the closed model would actually be a plus!

I have loved the AKG range since I got the 240s around 20 years ago (then upgraded to the 701 a decade later, and last year the 812), and adored the 812s until they stopped working. So should I just stick with the devil I know and grab the 872s when available or has tech moved on since 2017 (and AKG/Harman is pretty much no-more) and I should be looking for something else ?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well, i think it might be worth your looking into the slate vsx...
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Edit: if you have a Scarlett I would swap the interface. Maybe a Clarett? Headphone amp in that should do the trick I imagine.
The Scarlett solo powers my DT 990 250 ohm ok. But I need at least one more line and/or headphone out (to connect to 1/8" consumer bluetooth speaker for translation) and also separate gain knobs and/or mute button.

If the HP4 is out, I could upgrade interface to the Scarlett 8i6. Or add the behringer monitor2usb to the solo.

Mackie Big Knob Studio would work, but reports of noise/buzz.

Next up would be the $300 Drawmer CMC2 controller.
Gear Maniac
Great measurements/review of the Dan Clark ÆON RT (which is basically a retuned ÆON Flow) closed back headphone on audiosciencereview:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...adphone.19393/

This review made me really curious as there are not many closed back headphones that I found to be good for mixing/critical listening. I have heard many closed back "reference/professional" cans (Beyerdynamic DT770, DT1770, Neumann NDH20...) but without Sonarworks/EQ other than the Shure SRH1540 non was even close to being "neutral/reference sounding". The NDH20 was pretty good (especially with Sonarworks) but it was really uncomfortable for me. So basically other than the SRH1540 the only other closed back I've heard and found to be interesting is the Austrian Audio hi-x55. Even though it's tuning is not exactly "flat" sounding, it's instrument separation and detail is phenomenal, so for certain mixing tasks it is one of the best headphone. It is way more detailed than most of the "industry standard" open backs. When I'm talking about "detail" this is what I mean:
1. Recording "mistakes" (eg. noises in recordings) that are not audible on other headphones are audible (or already clearly audible at lower volume levels).
2. When making parameter setting changes on compressors, reverbs, distortion etc smaller changes are audible.
3. When listening to eg. unison guitar lines intonation and other minor performance differences are more obvious.
etc

There are not many reviews on these ÆON RTs, it would be great to hear from someone who worked/mixed on these.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

right before pulling the trigger on DT880 pros 250 ohm. my impression seems they are very balanced, good low end and accurate frequency response although not super wide (which is not really a problem to me, maybe even preferred) anyone who prefers different ones over these? Because if i’m to change my mind it has to be now.. Thank you
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflyp View Post
right before pulling the trigger on DT880 pros 250 ohm. my impression seems they are very balanced, good low end and accurate frequency response although not super wide (which is not really a problem to me, maybe even preferred) anyone who prefers different ones over these? Because if i’m to change my mind it has to be now.. Thank you
In my experience the DT880 is the best option at it's price range, especially if you intend to use it with sonarworks (I compared my old 250 ohm DT880 directly with all kinds of other open back cans - cans at all kinds of different price points - like HD600, HD650, DT1990, Shure 1840, ATH-R70X, LCD-X, LCD -2C...+ I own an HD800.)
(https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/revi...ew/#correction)

Just go ahead and buy it, if you want something significantly better than you would have to spend at least 3x-4x as much.

My 2 cents
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkTopic7028 View Post
The Scarlett solo powers my DT 990 250 ohm ok. But I need at least one more line and/or headphone out (to connect to 1/8" consumer bluetooth speaker for translation) and also separate gain knobs and/or mute button.

If the HP4 is out, I could upgrade interface to the Scarlett 8i6. Or add the behringer monitor2usb to the solo.

Mackie Big Knob Studio would work, but reports of noise/buzz.

Next up would be the $300 Drawmer CMC2 controller.
I meant more like it felt wrong to me to 'upgrade' a Scarlett situation by keeping the Scarlett and adding a headphone amp for as much, as opposed to just getting a better interface entirely.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I meant more like it felt wrong to me to 'upgrade' a Scarlett situation by keeping the Scarlett and adding a headphone amp for as much, as opposed to just getting a better interface entirely.
Upgrade it to what though? The desktop UAD Apollo's don't have 2 separate headphone knobs and A/B monitor routing either, so I'd be in the same situation, needing to add a monitor controller/headphone amp.

The Mackie Big Knob Studio would suffice, but I don't think that's exactly an upgrade from the Scarlett's DACs. Maybe a downgrade.

In the end I am keeping my scarlett and pairing it with the behringer monitor2usb which has voltage controlled amps, and better reviews than anything in it's price range, despite its being a behringer. Some users pair it with the UAD apollo. We will see.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
@ candyflyp Had the Dt-880 250 Ohm in use with Sonarworks & Canopener. Now after 2 years switched to Ultrasone Pro 750i. They naturally (uncorrected with SW) sound similar to Sonarworks corrected Dt-880, but with a faster transient response. And the 750i reveal more details!
If u are into electronic music, i would say pull the trigger on the Ultrasone. Got a used dt for 110 euros , the ultrasone for 130 also used, both in good shape. So, its not a money issue i would say

Last edited by Marco77; 6 days ago at 08:59 AM..
📝 Reply