The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best mixing headphones!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've just tried the AKG K371.

I think right out of the box, this would be the most recommended headphone for monitoring. I tried it with ORATORY1990 eq preset, it can really work without it.

Very affordable too. $149.
Old 4 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

The thread has been completely derailed to the "What software EQ + HPs combination work best for you?"
What I would like to see is the HD580/600/650 with the subs on steroids (=linear in this context)
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito View Post
That's what I hope it is. An upgrade from my HD 650 / Crave EQ (Oratory curve) / CanOpener setup for mixing, mastering

Also, i'm not sure i could make good mixing decision if it sounds unnatural while listening to reference tracks
The update Steven has brewing right now for the Howie room is absolutely no joke. For some it might end up being up there with Archon's ATC150 as a favorite monitoring choice in VSX.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
The update Steven has brewing right now for the Howie room is absolutely no joke. For some it might end up being up there with Archon's ATC150 as a favorite monitoring choice in VSX.
oooooh :D
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My Slate dealer said that I'll be getting mine next week.

I can't wait!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds interesting !!

Only had one afternoon with VSX, at first I was not blown away but I'm happy. I just need time to get used to it.

Still not sure if I will sell my HD 650. I obviously prefer the original than emulation.
Here for the gear

I have been using DT-880 during 10 years before buying to Audeze X and my 2 cents: with Sonarworks or equivalent under 200 euros I did not find yet a headphone with the built quality of the DT-880 and the most important, the confort. I still use these cans for long sessions, when I am creating sounds, sketching, I can use them during 8+ hours and no fatigue. HD650 sounds a little little bit more detailed, but they are double the price of Dt-880's.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbonmicguy View Post
I've just tried the AKG K371.

I think right out of the box, this would be the most recommended headphone for monitoring. I tried it with ORATORY1990 eq preset, it can really work without it.

Very affordable too. $149.
I think these are a really underrated pair of headphones, eventually these will get the street cred they deserve - I have VSX coming too, but I'll keep my K371BT to write with.
Here for the gear

As from my experience, I tried many different options and finally I got DT1990. First impression was negative due to their harsh highs, but when I tried them with dSonic Realphones they really turned to the great control tool. Currently I am using 1990+ Realphones for every mix and I can definitely say that all mixes translate perfect. Sometimes I can hear some aspects that I miss with monitors in a studio... Really great control!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito View Post
Still not sure if I will sell my HD 650. I obviously prefer the original than emulation.
I would say don't do it if you don't have to for financial reasons.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
HD58X are they any good at $150?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by culebras View Post
HD650 sounds a little little bit more detailed, but they are double the price of Dt-880's.
For me, it has always been a toss up between the 600/650 and DT880 Pros. Bass quality and quantity is better with the DT880 Pros though, especially after correction in comparison to the Senns, so I slightly prefer them for that reason, considering the amount of bass heavy content I work on regularly.
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
HD58X are they any good at $150?
Hd580/600/650- the same part number for the replacement capsule, so, in a word, absolutely.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Hd580/600/650- the same part number for the replacement capsule, so, in a word, absolutely.
Considering how different they sound, and the fact the the 58X is different yet again, there's no telling what it sounds like without hearing it. I haven't.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Uh... not exactly... 580/600 share the same driver part, but not the 650.

580/600 replacement driver: Sennheiser part #: 091570
650 replacement driver: Sennheiser part #: 092855

The 58x uses a different driver than either the 600/650. The 58x driver has a nominal impedance of 150ohms. 600/650 are rated at 300ohms.
Here for the gear

Quote:
For me, it has always been a toss up between the 600/650 and DT880 Pros. Bass quality and quantity is better with the DT880 Pros though, especially after correction in comparison to the Senns, so I slightly prefer them for that reason, considering the amount of bass heavy content I work on regularly.
Yes completely agree, the thing is people normally uses headphones to adjust the range of frequencies not covered by the monitors or just to compare. For me it is more important to cover low end first and then continue working with my main monitors. I got the audeze X to cover the full range when I am on tour, sometimes I Need to plug the headphones directly to mixers, summ, the big difference is this headphone sounds perfect without any plugin, but To be honest, in the studio with sonarworks, the result with a dt880 would be more or less the same, the detail of audeze does not justify the cost, 10 times more expensive.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am about a week after buying some focal clears - not getting on too well with them

Have tried doing some mixing on them

My gripes are this - the stereo image is just too flat - it almost seems like everything is in the middle
I've tried listening to well panned music like Trevor Horns classic stuff where he was great at panning - and again you cant really make it out in much detail
Let alone my panning. I did hope that headphones would be good at doing panning.

Also another gripe is the placement of a kick and sn - I get this wrong everytime on headphones - its usually placed too loud on the headphones - i fix it on the main speakers and go back to headphones and then end up increasing vol on headphones again.

Someone pointed out to me the focal clears make things sound real detailed - and that when you then switch to a normal pair of speakers your music will sound just ok - its no longer detailed - and i have found that as well.

I also find it diff to get lower bass right - I made tracks thinking there was plenty of bass and then switched to spks and found there was none.

Thats my gripes over - oh and they are very heavy on the head.

I thought I would put some gripes on here as hey its all relevant - cant have all good reviews for potential buyers looking up focal clear reviews.

That all said i really hope it does improve - could totally be just me and my hang ups - the focal clears are very forward sounding ( a word others have used )

I would like more space - maybe i need to buy another pair of headphones to compliment them - any spacey ones people can suggest ? am i looking at the 800s or lcd-x for spacey ones - though i really dont think the weight of the lcd-x would be ok if im complaining about the weight of the clears
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscent View Post
I am about a week after buying some focal clears - not getting on too well with them

My gripes are this - the stereo image is just too flat - it almost seems like everything is in the middle
I've tried listening to well panned music like Trevor Horns classic stuff where he was great at panning - and again you cant really make it out in much detail
Let alone my panning. I did hope that headphones would be good at doing panning.

Also another gripe is the placement of a kick and sn - I get this wrong everytime on headphones - its usually placed too loud on the headphones - i fix it on the main speakers and go back to headphones and then end up increasing vol on headphones again.

Someone pointed out to me the focal clears make things sound real detailed - and that when you then switch to a normal pair of speakers your music will sound just ok - its no longer detailed - and i have found that as well.

I also find it diff to get lower bass right - I made tracks thinking there was plenty of bass and then switched to spks and found there was none.

I thought I would put some gripes on here as hey its all relevant - cant have all good reviews for potential buyers looking up focal clear reviews.

That all said i really hope it does improve - could totally be just me and my hang ups - the focal clears are very forward sounding ( a word others have used )

I would like more space - maybe i need to buy another pair of headphones to compliment them - any spacey ones people can suggest ? am i looking at the 800s or lcd-x for spacey ones - though i really dont think the weight of the lcd-x would be ok if im complaining about the weight of the clears
Did you use the oratory curves and what kind of hp amp /dac you´re using?
A really decent combination significantly improves the sound of the Clears as well as the LCD-X.
Lives for gear
Quote:

I find a narrower soundstage in headphones is better because it means you push things wider, which then sounds right when on monitors. My AKG's have a very wide soundstage, so I was always making my mixes too narrow, because with headphones separate L&R in a way monitors in a room don't because both ears pick up both L&R. Obviously, there are systems that try to recreate this in headphones.

As for weak bass translation. The Clears are obviously artificially boosting the lows a bit and again, due to the nature of headphones, things can seem more pronounced because of the isolation they bring. The curve mentioned above may address that but if not, try putting an EQ on the mater bus to lower the bass to match what is in your monitors, then mix.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
BTW, My ATH R70x's translate very well. I never feel like the mix balance or soundstage changes much when I playback anywhere else.
Gear Guru

Anyone tried any of the Austrian Audio cans yet?
Lives for gear

hi , just using a focusrite soundcard as the amp - did try the oratory ones and the sonarworks ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Collins View Post
Did you use the oratory curves and what kind of hp amp /dac you´re using?
A really decent combination significantly improves the sound of the Clears as well as the LCD-X.
Lives for gear

Has anyone here heard the new Sennheiser HD 560s yet?
At a $200 price point it is supposed to have better treble and bass
extension and do wider imaging than the 650s. It certainly looks like
it's worth a listen.
Lives for gear

Quote:

You would probably like Audeze except the weight. I have the LCD XC’s and didnt like the clears at all. I do like the 800s but haven’t tried mixing. They are also high impedance so would need an amp.
The Audeze MX4’sc are a bit lighter but expensive.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Anyone tried any of the Austrian Audio cans yet?

I guess you are referring to the Hi-X55.

I use them, and they are brilliant !
Sound is great, separation is outstanding.
Very comfortable, best built quality around, seriously !

In studio when mixing, I prefer them to my Sennheiser HD 820 !

I really don't understand why they are not more talked about in here ...

The nominee for 'NAMM TEC Award for Outstanding Technical Achievement' should also tell a thing or two ...

The folks behind the Hi-X55 are the same people that built AKG's reputation over the years. All made in Austria !

These folks know what they're doing.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
I guess you are referring to the Hi-X55.

I use them, and they are brilliant !
Sound is great, separation is outstanding.
Very comfortable, best built quality around, seriously !

In studio when mixing, I prefer them to my Sennheiser HD 820 !

I really don't understand why they are not more talked about in here ...

The nominee for 'NAMM TEC Award for Outstanding Technical Achievement' should also tell a thing or two ...

The folks behind the Hi-X55 are the same people that built AKG's reputation over the years. All made in Austria !

These folks know what they're doing.
What are the tops and high mids like? Hopefully not too hard. I can imagine everything else must be pretty dandy......But I normally like planar, which makes it a bit like used to ribbon and this is condenser...lol.....well, in fact it s reverse dynamic, but dynamic cans to me always have some sort of resonance thing in the high mids unlike planars.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
are there any headphones that are slightly mid focused instead of bass treble?
Gear Guru

Quote:
are there any headphones that are slightly mid focused instead of bass treble?
My modded Fostex T50RP feel a bit like that.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
My modded Fostex T50RP feel a bit like that.
was is like that before the mod? i know that the old apple earbuds, not the eardpods were all mid focused, but it didn't have enough detail to work mix with.

most headphones under $200 make me lose lowend perspective easily
Gear Guru

Quote:
was is like that before the mod? i know that the old apple earbuds, not the eardpods were all mid focused, but it didn't have enough detail to work mix with.

most headphones under $200 make me lose lowend perspective easily
Buckets of well defined detail. Planar detail with zero hype. Soft tops. Less tha massive bass. Right now I have new pads on which are a little stiff and make them further away and less bassy. Previously had Shure pads. Both good in different ways. Pre mod they are boxy because the hollow parts ring weirdly until you stuff them with cotton wool or whatever damping. You basically just throw damping in there, choose better pads as the original ones suck both comfort and frequency balance wise, and then decide how to deal with the vents. I had mine totally shut, recently put medical tape (porous) over the and currently figuring out whether to put it back closed. Not sure yet. Either way, these things are sweet. They don't make me lose bottom end perspective.
📝 Reply