The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best mixing headphones!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedFollower View Post
Yeah there's virtually no leakage, they go halfway up your ear canals and literally form an airtight seal. Then again leakage isn't usually a problem with other IEMs or even good closed-back over-ears.
For adding even more isolation/less-leakage, you can add earmuff style hearing protection over top of the in-ears. Like what's used at a gun range, or construction site. Even the cheap ones add around 20-30db isolation and only cost about $30-$40 or so, on top of whatever the in-ears are already doing.

I used to do this until I broke down and found a used Remote Audio HN-7506... it's been a godsend. It's basically a Sony 7506, which I'm very familiar and comfortable with, with serious custom noise reduction added. I use them in the tracking room when placing mics, or on drummers so they can hear over the drums. But the isolation cuts both ways, so I also put them on anyone tracking in front of sensitive mics, like acoustic players or singers in front of condensers. Finally no click track bleed! Amazing investment. They were made for location recording, like broadcasting from auto races and things like that. Love them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
The new Sennheiser 560S received some great reviews today. I have not heard them yet but based on these early reviews it is potentially a great option for people eying HD600/HD650/HD660 or even Beyerdynamic DT1990 but would like to spend less. They are listed for $217 (pre order for $199) on the official Sennheiser website (the HD600 is $400 and the HD650/HD660 is $500).

Developed for the "analytical audio enthusiast", both reviewers agree that it's frequency response is more linear than the other HD6xx series cans, so it has got a bit less mid but a bit more bass and a bit more highs than those + it has got much better/wider soundstage/imaging. Interesting stuff.

Reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np6KjAAT98A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrccqYgoMO0

Product page:
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd-560-...h-end-over-ear
Old 3 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonepaul View Post
The new Sennheiser 560S received some great reviews today. I have not heard them yet but based on these early reviews it is potentially a great option for people eying HD600/HD650/HD660 or even Beyerdynamic DT1990 but would like to spend less. They are listed for $217 (pre order for $199) on the official Sennheiser website (the HD600 is $400 and the HD650/HD660 is $500).

Developed for the "analytical audio enthusiast", both reviewers agree that it's frequency response is more linear than the other HD6xx series cans, so it has got a bit less mid but a bit more bass and a bit more highs than those + it has got much better/wider soundstage/imaging. Interesting stuff.

Reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np6KjAAT98A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrccqYgoMO0

Product page:
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd-560-...h-end-over-ear
If so than those are v-shaped. 580/600/650 have like they call it the ideal mids- say 100 hz to 3000 hz
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Interesting info on the Ollo website. They explain how and why they voiced their headphones and they measured (with very high tech gear) lots of the popular headphones for mixing.

It’s interesting to see that they have a dip where my ATH-R70’s have a peak etc.

I’d like to try their flagship headphones for sure.

https://olloaudio.com/pages/measurements
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
I own several HD280's for tracking. Although I love them for tracking, I never use them for mixing. They add way to much low/low-mids for mixing. I definitely prefer my HD650's for mixing. I find they translate a lot better. My mixes with the 280's always lack in the bass area.
a bit late hah, but yeah I don't do my main mixing on them. I just check mixes on them afterwards and they are always helpful in the mud department. I think it's because they are a bit hyped there, so if you have too much it really ruins a track on them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Interesting info on the Ollo website. They explain how and why they voiced their headphones and they measured (with very high tech gear) lots of the popular headphones for mixing.

It’s interesting to see that they have a dip where my ATH-R70’s have a peak etc.

I’d like to try their flagship headphones for sure.

https://olloaudio.com/pages/measurements
I want to believe their measurements... but they don't correspond well with 3rd party measurements like: https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/revi...-review/#sound

Boom! Tiss!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoBastardo View Post
I want to believe their measurements... but they don't correspond well with 3rd party measurements like: https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/revi...-review/#sound

Boom! Tiss!

Did you read all their info. They explain why comparing measurements from different places is not a good idea because everyone use different rigs and scales etc.

It seems they spent a fortune on a very forensic measuring system. Of course they could be lying about the measurements of other headphones, as could Sonarworks etc, but that would just be an expose ready to happen and ruin their reputation.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you read all their info. They explain why comparing measurements from different places is not a good idea because everyone use different rigs and scales etc.

It seems they spent a fortune on a very forensic measuring system. Of course they could be lying about the measurements of other headphones, as could Sonarworks etc, but that would just be an expose ready to happen and ruin their reputation.
Oratory uses high end lab equipment. Note the similarity of the above graph with Oratory's S4R measurements:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fcco46cmx4...20S4R.pdf?dl=0

Same overall shape, same dips at 3.5K and 7K.

Take those Ollo measurements with a pinch of salt.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Oratory uses high end lab equipment. Note the similarity of the above graph with Oratory's S4R measurements:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fcco46cmx4...20S4R.pdf?dl=0

Same overall shape, same dips at 3.5K and 7K.

Take those Ollo measurements with a pinch of salt.

It’s the S4X that I would be interested in.

If we are to take Ollo’s measurements with a grain of salt then we are to take any measurements from other sources with the same skepticism.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:

Boom! Tiss!
Please note , you find measurements of 3 different OLLO headphones on the OLLO website, measurement of the S4, S4R and S4X. Sonarworks tested and measured only the old OLLO S4 model. The new OLLO S4X measures much much flatter.
+
The graphs on the OLLO website use different smoothing than the Sonarworks measurements. The main peaks and walleys of the OLLO S4 measurements do correspond on both (on the sonarworks and OLLOs own measurements).

There are loads of online measurements of the HD650. Compare those to the OLLO website's own HD650 measurement to have a feel for OLLOs graph smoothing. Seeing that even on their own OLLO measurements the HD650 is much flatter than either their S4 or S4R, I do not suspect any dishonesty from OLLO, I don't see any data manipulation.

My 2 cents
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=Mr Funk;14996292]It’s the S4X that I would be interested in.

If we are to take Ollo’s measurements with a grain of salt then we are to take any measurements from other sources with the same skepticism. Also, like all headphone manufacturers, the main dips and peaks are usually intentional.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s the S4X that I would be interested in.

If we are to take Ollo’s measurements with a grain of salt then we are to take any measurements from other sources with the same skepticism.
I respectfully disagree.

1) Ollo are promoting their own headphones. How many times have we seen misleading manufacturer promoted measurements?

2) Two individual external sources have very similar measurements. Both different to those offered in 1).

That's rather good objective proof.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I respectfully disagree.

1) Ollo are promoting their own headphones. How many times have we seen misleading manufacturer promoted measurements?

2) Two individual external sources have very similar measurements. Both different to those offered in 1).

That's rather good objective proof.
Yes, but if the scale and smoothing and the rig is different, the measurements will differ. Maybe ask Ollo or Orditiry if they can rescale their measurements and they would probably marry up well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
If so than those are v-shaped. 580/600/650 have like they call it the ideal mids- say 100 hz to 3000 hz
Not really, it's pretty much flat up to 4-5kHz. Compared to eg the HD6xx, on the HD560S they only boosted the bass below 90Hz, they cut only 1-2dB between 100-1000Hz and made the deviations a bit smoother above 5kHz.

You can see a comparison graph in this video between the HD6xx and the new HD560S. It is rather promising, the HD560S is clearly flatter:
https://youtu.be/Np6KjAAT98A?t=241
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Yes, I read their stuff. Their rig is flawed or their (marketing) interpretation of results - does not correlate well to other established measurement systems. They rely on the Harmon compensation curve. That curve is not universally accepted. Ask Sennheiser, B&K or AKG. Pre-Harmon trashing.

Did you read the sonarworks review? The ringing headband part?
"Now the ugly. The spring steel wire used in the headband rings like crazy. Once you put the S4 on your head and let go of the headband, it will sometimes ring up to 10 seconds, unless you “mute the strings” by hand. "

From the SOS review ():
"If we take it to mean sounding like a flat-response loudspeaker in a good room, the S4s don't sound wholly neutral to me, and I wonder if a clue to that is to be found in the references to the ISO 226:2003 standard on OLLO's website. This standardises the 'equal loudness' curves originally developed by Fletcher and Munson, showing how the ear's frequency response varies with SPL. At all SPLs, the shape of the equal-loudness contour is broadly similar, with the ear being much more sensitive in the mid-range than at low frequencies. It could be that OLLO have tried to compensate for this contour; if so, I'm not sure how valuable this is for music production, since people who listen to your mixes won't be hearing them on compensated systems. I found the explanation on OLLO's website confusing, especially when the enlarged versions of their frequency-response graphs are visibly different from the thumbnails."

Be great if these guy to have created the first neutral set of monitoring headphones. But, I'm skeptical.

Their whole marketing pitch is based on the concept that all headphones are flawed - as are all electro-mechanical transducers.

Yet somehow this little startup has created a flat, natural headphone where no other company in the history of audio has not. While not even making their own drivers. Appear to be Tymphany or perhaps Superlux. They don't say.

Or... they discovered that their marketing pitch was better than their phones... because the S4 is discontinued. Replaced with the S4X.

Maybe their S4X will be better. Maybe.

They say it's:
"Based on S4 model with upgrades requested by OLLO community.
🔸 40% flatter frequency response.
🔸 50% more comfort for your ears.
🔸 Improved headband design. "

I'll wait for a few more revisions and less of their dazzled by science marketing shtick.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FWIW, some info on Oratory...

Quote:
Oratory1990 however is a professional acoustic engineer with an academic background in physics who specifically measures headphones as part of the research his company does based in Austria, using state of the art equipment. I don't know of any other headphone measurement database available online with this level of expertise behind them.
I believe his thesis included details on the effect the biological ear structure (auricle/pinna etc) has on frequency perception specifically when using headphones. I.e. a genuine expert in the field :¬)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Yes, I read their stuff. Their rig is flawed or their (marketing) interpretation of results - does not correlate well to other established measurement systems. They rely on the Harmon compensation curve. That curve is not universally accepted. Ask Sennheiser, B&K or AKG. Pre-Harmon trashing.

"Now the ugly. The spring steel wire used in the headband rings like crazy. Once you put the S4 on your head and let go of the headband, it will sometimes ring up to 10 seconds, unless you “mute the strings” by hand. "

From the SOS review ():
"If we take it to mean sounding like a flat-response loudspeaker in a good room, the S4s don't sound wholly neutral to me, and I wonder if a clue to that is to be found in the references to the ISO 226:2003 standard on OLLO's website. This standardises the 'equal loudness' curves originally developed by Fletcher and Munson, showing how the ear's frequency response varies with SPL. At all SPLs, the shape of the equal-loudness contour is broadly similar, with the ear being much more sensitive in the mid-range than at low frequencies. It could be that OLLO have tried to compensate for this contour; if so, I'm not sure how valuable this is for music production, since people who listen to your mixes won't be hearing them on compensated systems. I found the explanation on OLLO's website confusing, especially when the enlarged versions of their frequency-response graphs are visibly different from the thumbnails."

Be great if these guy to have created the first neutral set of monitoring headphones. But, I'm skeptical.

Their whole marketing pitch is based on the concept that all headphones are flawed - as are all electro-mechanical transducers.

Yet somehow this little startup has created a flat, natural headphone where no other company in the history of audio has not. While not even making their own drivers. Appear to be Tymphany or perhaps Superlux. They don't say.

Or... they discovered that their marketing pitch was better than their phones... because the S4 is discontinued. Replaced with the S4X.

They say it's:
40% flatter frequency response.
50% more comfort for your ears.
Improved headband design. "

I'll wait for a few more revisions and less of their dazzled by science marketing shtick.
"No Theme Review" has got hours and hours of ridiculously detailed comparison review on the older S4 (he compared it eg. to the Beyerdynamic DT1990). He seemed to really like it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHK...pNsocy4inGm3NM

Also Streaky in his review of the S4X preferred it over the HD650:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=237f_PH0VVg

Obviously these are just opinions of reviewers and everyone should hear/test them before committing to work on them, but that is not too difficult as there is a "30 DAYS TRIAL" period on all Ollo purchases. I find that to be great.
Finally, the guy who founded OLLO comes across as a proper audio maniac in this interview, he speaks respectfully and rather highly about his competition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K-ywoFLcBM

My 2 cents
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

From the SOS review ():

They say it's:
🔸 40% flatter frequency response.
🔸 50% more comfort for your ears.
🔸 Improved headband design. "

Yes, I had read those reviews which put me off the S4 when I was looking for some new cans. it's only the S4X I am interested in.

They don't follow the Harmon curve to the latter, but use it as a guide. This is not necessarily a wrong decision or a right one, just a preference based on their opinion of the science I guess.

What I like is that they outline very clearly their measurement methods so anyone with access to the same gear could perform the same tests.
Old 3 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonepaul View Post
Not really, it's pretty much flat up to 4-5kHz. Compared to eg the HD6xx, on the HD560S they only boosted the bass below 90Hz, they cut only 1-2dB between 100-1000Hz and made the deviations a bit smoother above 5kHz.

You can see a comparison graph in this video between the HD6xx and the new HD560S. It is rather promising, the HD560S is clearly flatter:
https://youtu.be/Np6KjAAT98A?t=241
I have just checked the dyiaudioheaven's review of hd560s and it seems they did not gain much in terms of bass, but that 5 dB 8 kHz peak is rather on the edge of acceptable. The superwide warmth curve is actually so much easier to adapt to.
Old 3 weeks ago
XDX
Gear Head

Steven is already saying "...best mixes of your life", so maybe the new Slate headphones+modeling will be the best mixing headphones.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDX View Post
Steven is already saying "...best mixes of your life", so maybe the new Slate headphones+modeling will be the best mixing headphones.

cool, now we just have to wait 2 years to be released :D
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDX View Post

Steven it's that you??

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
cool, now we just have to wait 2 years to be released :D
been beta testing it, and it has had the biggest positive impact on my mixing in 30 years. Not saying it's a headphone, because I'm not allowed to, but I would wait a few weeks..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes, I had read those reviews which put me off the S4 when I was looking for some new cans. it's only the S4X I am interested in.

They don't follow the Harmon curve to the latter, but use it as a guide. This is not necessarily a wrong decision or a right one, just a preference based on their opinion of the science I guess.

What I like is that they outline very clearly their measurement methods so anyone with access to the same gear could perform the same tests.
What a vast amount of postings about presumptions and hearsay.

Why not just order them and try them for yourself?
We´re talking about sound here and only you can decide what suits you best.

Ollo is one of the most reliable companies I´ve encountered so far.
They´re extremely fast and responsive, both with shipment and their return policy.
Second to none, I would say.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Collins View Post
What a vast amount of postings about presumptions and hearsay.

Why not just order them and try them for yourself?
We´re talking about sound here and only you can decide what suits you best.

Ollo is one of the most reliable companies I´ve encountered so far.
They´re extremely fast and responsive, both with shipment and their return policy.
Second to none, I would say.
When talking about reference monitors, specs actually do matter. Most people are not in any position to be able to accurately analyze the frequency response let alone other measurable specs. Much can be easily heard and sussed out, but not to the extent that is required to know that your reference is indeed a reliable reference. And proper interpretation of the measurements is not a simple thing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
When talking about reference monitors, specs actually do matter. Most people are not in any position to be able to accurately analyze the frequency response let alone other measurable specs. Much can be easily heard and sussed out, but not to the extent that is required to know that your reference is indeed a reliable reference. And proper interpretation of the measurements is not a simple thing.
Dozens of colleagues in this and other hp-threads also mentioned that cans are a VERY personal thing (more so than speakers) and measurements are only one part of the equation.

You can presume and discuss your a** off, or test the things, judge for yourself and go on making music.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dozens of colleagues in this and other hp-threads also mentioned that cans are a VERY personal thing (more so than speakers) and measurements are only one part of the equation.

You can presume and discuss your a** off, or test the things, judge for yourself and go on making music.
There is nothing presumptuous about wanting accurate specs. Correlating the specs with listening is of course a given, and I've done it for decades. The way I mix, I require at least accurate knowledge of my monitoring, and I prefer accurate monitoring itself. I have no interest in making mastering engineers correct for my faulty monitoring. I micromanage my mixes and when I'm done, if the mastering engineer has to do much, I probably wouldn't approve of it. You may enjoy shooting from the hip, but that is one place where personal workflow enters into it. Denouncing other people's approach to their equipment is like saying they should prefer your workflow or musical preferences.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
There is nothing presumptuous about wanting accurate specs. Correlating the specs with listening is of course a given, and I've done it for decades. The way I mix, I require at least accurate knowledge of my monitoring, and I prefer accurate monitoring itself. I have no interest in making mastering engineers correct for my faulty monitoring. I micromanage my mixes and when I'm done, if the mastering engineer has to do much, I probably wouldn't approve of it. You may enjoy shooting from the hip, but that is one place where personal workflow enters into it. Denouncing other people's approach to their equipment is like saying they should prefer your workflow or musical preferences.
Even if I was never questioning the need for proper specs by manufacturers, let´s say you won.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl-audio View Post
been beta testing it, and it has had the biggest positive impact on my mixing in 30 years. Not saying it's a headphone, because I'm not allowed to, but I would wait a few weeks..
Looking forward to it! given how Slate works, my theory is that it's a headphone/monitor system with a super flat response + modeling software that mimics different environments, from a studio control room to a car radio.

The headphone image shows "Scaeva Powered", which leads to a company focused whose bottom line is "SR-Audio enables us to experience sound that’s as vibrant and nuanced as a live performance." (https://scaevatech.com/#our-tech).

Given the teaser image today, it looks like there will be monitors released as well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even if I was never questioning the need for proper specs by manufacturers, let´s say you won.
📝 Reply