The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best mixing headphones!
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Addict

will they be compact?

I need a MUCH smaller alternative to my KRK E8B (which I might have to put into storage as they are feckin HUGE).
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnr View Post
If you already know their price they must already be on the market. What do you mean by "release" then? If they are not released yet and perform on a par with high-end gear, what's the marketing decision behind underpricing them so much? There must be a catch, we don't live in a fairy tale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
or because he is a tester, he is in touch with the company who decides the price.
Bingo. As to your latter comment, wait and see for yourself :¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
will they be compact?

I need a MUCH smaller alternative to my KRK E8B (which I might have to put into storage as they are feckin HUGE).
Mucho smaller than those KRK's
Old 18th September 2020
adl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Bingo. As to your latter comment, wait and see for yourself :¬)

Mucho smaller than those KRK's
Are those mysterious speakers active or passive? You aloud to tell that?
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
Are those mysterious speakers active or passive? You aloud to tell that?
Passive, paired with amp.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Two way or single full range driver?
Old 18th September 2020
Xnr
Gear Nut

Quote:
I was hoping for an active speaker.. oh well, I'm sure they will find their target audience.

Edit: I just realized.. Didn't you mention they were DSP speakers? How is that possible? Or does the amp come with the product?
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Nut

utopia + niimbus 4plus amplifire + oratory eq (equilibrium 65k analog) + canopener: scary!
jecklin float QA without any EQ! + canopener: fantastic.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Two way or single full range driver?
Can't say yet.

Quote:
I was hoping for an active speaker.. oh well, I'm sure they will find their target audience.

Edit: I just realized.. Didn't you mention they were DSP speakers? How is that possible? Or does the amp come with the product?
Yes, amp + monitors.
Old 18th September 2020
Xnr
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes, amp + monitors.
interesting.. Hopefully it's something innovative, like the stuff that D&D are making.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The SR1a's measurements were quite disappointing considering their cost:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ui5nwck6lv...ry%29.pdf?dl=0

I saw your post about monitors in the high end section too. Are they for mixing also? I would recommend not buying anything until next month, a new product (DSP near fields) should be released soon that absolutely slays in that space. A handful of GS members have them for review/testing. We can't say what they are or share details, but you'll want to know about them before dropping £££ on anything. They outperform gear 5x their price. No hyperbole - exciting times.

P.S. I can't tell anyone over PM either
Ah yes, the CLA Auratone mono...
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
interesting.. Hopefully it's something innovative, like the stuff that D&D are making.
I'm comparing to Kii Three + Trinnov

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixertrix View Post
Ah yes, the CLA Auratone mono...
The Auratones are like a laptop speaker in comparison

Back to headphones? My fault!
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Back to headphones? My fault!
Wait. These aren't wearable (on shoulder) speakers with the amp carried in the 35lb backpack? Hmmm...
Old 20th September 2020
Here for the gear

How are people with the Etymotic ER4 liking them? And what's required to drive the ER4SR/XR? Will an Audient ID4 drive the or do I need a headphone amp?
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanmitchell View Post
How are people with the Etymotic ER4 liking them? And what's required to drive the ER4SR/XR? Will an Audient ID4 drive the or do I need a headphone amp?
I use them on-stage (live performance) & can be powered by anything.
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
They rival electrostatics in clarity.
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Addict

Etymotic ER4 good for mixing - nice and neutral?
Old 21st September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoBastardo View Post
Wait. These aren't wearable (on shoulder) speakers with the amp carried in the 35lb backpack? Hmmm...
yes they will be available with special shoulder pads and backpack.
Old 21st September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
600vs650 debate will def on on forever. both seem to be really good tools.
Anyone know where the Massdrop HD58x might fit in this debate?
Old 21st September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
It uses the newer driver found in the 660s. Value wise, has to be up there with the best bang for buck headphones.
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
I sold mine. But because I didn’t like them doesn’t mean they are bad. I personally prefer Sony MDR7506 for mixing. I used to lust for more expensive cans but the MDRs translate so well for me, I am starting to wonder why bother to spend more.

Like to produce in AKG k240 Mark 1 as they are more comfortable. When switching to Sony I usually hear more detail, and do some additional mixing moves but don’t really have to undo what I did in AKGs.

With that said I listened to these headphones for 15 years so I know them. I believe you need 2 things from a monitoring system 1) they need to be reveling enough so you hear problems and know what to fix. 2) you need to love how your references sound in them. If you don’t love how they sound you can’t mix on the monitoring system. That way you know if you are not there yet when comparing to your references.

Last edited by Guitarist9891; 21st September 2020 at 10:02 PM..
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Addict

Good afternoon,

I have a question regarding the LCD-X headphones, which I just purchased last week. To get a technical feel for their frequency response, with and without adjustment by Reveal or Sonorworks, I was running a sine wave sweep through them. Two observations - first, the upper mid recession remained with either adjustment active. I experimented with another slight layer of EQ so have options there. But, here’s the other observation - while running the sine wave up and down the frequency spectrum, certain (higher) frequencies would shift left or right, rather than sitting straight up the middle. Is this normal and just reflective of typical manufacturing variation between left and right ear drivers? Wasn’t causing hard panning or anything but the tones were moving around. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t sitting on an pair with issues.
Old 21st September 2020
Xnr
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhudson View Post
while running the sine wave up and down the frequency spectrum, certain (higher) frequencies would shift left or right, rather than sitting straight up the middle. Is this normal and just reflective of typical manufacturing variation between left and right ear drivers?
You could try repeating the same experiment on different headphones.
Old 22nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Etymotic ER4 good for mixing - nice and neutral?
If you feel comfortable using them and have at least 3 band EQ to correct them - yeap, they’re good. I use custom EQ curve, Oratory curve don’t work for me.
They are fantastic for mic positioning in a room too.
Fine for music listening on iphone using just “bass boost” preset.
Old 22nd September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhudson View Post
Good afternoon,

I have a question regarding the LCD-X headphones, which I just purchased last week. To get a technical feel for their frequency response, with and without adjustment by Reveal or Sonorworks, I was running a sine wave sweep through them. Two observations - first, the upper mid recession remained with either adjustment active. I experimented with another slight layer of EQ so have options there. But, here’s the other observation - while running the sine wave up and down the frequency spectrum, certain (higher) frequencies would shift left or right, rather than sitting straight up the middle. Is this normal and just reflective of typical manufacturing variation between left and right ear drivers? Wasn’t causing hard panning or anything but the tones were moving around. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t sitting on an pair with issues.
This could be deficiencies in your hearing. Do you really expect both ears to be the same? Try with other headphones and see if you hear same anomalies.
Old 22nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
This could be deficiencies in your hearing. Do you really expect both ears to be the same? Try with other headphones and see if you hear same anomalies.
Or just wear the headphones the wrong way to see if the L R difference stays or swaps...
Old 22nd September 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I love my ER4XR's. The greatest feature is the noise isolation, which is very useful when you don't have a quiet environment to listen/mix in. They're also accurate enough that you can use them for mixing. You don't need anything special to drive them.

I'd recommend the XR's over the SR's. As zvukofor mentioned, the bass is very light compared to almost any other IEMs or headphones. Etymotic tune them to their own target curve rather than the more common Harman curve, so the slight bass boost of the XR's actually makes them sound more natural and similar to other headphones, IMO. You could also go with the cheaper ER2 series, which use dynamic drivers, with an inherently warmer sound than the BA drivers of the ER3/4. They're slightly less detailed, however.
Old 22nd September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
Or just wear the headphones the wrong way to see if the L R difference stays or swaps...
Yup, flip them the other way and see whether the movement goes 180. My guess is it will and it is indeed the drivers being different. I have no idea about Audeze's manufacturing tolerances but do know that most people would be surprised by the standard differences between left and right drivers on most speakers and headphones.......
Old 22nd September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedFollower View Post
I love my ER4XR's. The greatest feature is the noise isolation, which is very useful when you don't have a quiet environment to listen/mix in. They're also accurate enough that you can use them for mixing. You don't need anything special to drive them.

I'd recommend the XR's over the SR's. As zvukofor mentioned, the bass is very light compared to almost any other IEMs or headphones. Etymotic tune them to their own target curve rather than the more common Harman curve, so the slight bass boost of the XR's actually makes them sound more natural and similar to other headphones, IMO. You could also go with the cheaper ER2 series, which use dynamic drivers, with an inherently warmer sound than the BA drivers of the ER3/4. They're slightly less detailed, however.
low leakage too right, good for singers while recording?
Old 22nd September 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
low leakage too right, good for singers while recording?
Yeah there's virtually no leakage, they go halfway up your ear canals and literally form an airtight seal. Then again leakage isn't usually a problem with other IEMs or even good closed-back over-ears.
Old 22nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Yup, flip them the other way and see whether the movement goes 180. My guess is it will and it is indeed the drivers being different. I have no idea about Audeze's manufacturing tolerances but do know that most people would be surprised by the standard differences between left and right drivers on most speakers and headphones.......
that's crazy unacceptable for headphones at least
📝 Reply