The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best mixing headphones!
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Just got a pair of Hifiman HE400i’s for traveling with. Planar magnetic, $189 on Amazon. I haven’t compared them to my 650’s or my LCD 3’s yet, but I think they’re amazing for the price. Sorry if I’m repeating a previous discussion, but does anyone else have experience with these?
Old 8th September 2019
adl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYMusic View Post
Waiting for the AKG K371 reviews.
So far the reviews from magazines and websites are very good. Would love to hear some more "real life" experience from anybody here, especially compared to some other closed headphones (DT770, ATH).
Old 9th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanmd View Post
Run from the AKG K701. They have zero bass response and will essentially do the opposite of what you're looking for.
Yes the K701 is a little Bass-shy.
But I always liked how open and comfortable they are.

So if you like that kind of open headphone I would recommend the AKG K712 Pro. A very good headphone for mixing..IMO.
Very easy to wear - even in long mixing sessions
Balanced Bass response - more Bass than the K701
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
May be the pro versions are a different impedance?
Nope! Purely a colour scheme difference
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolux View Post
Yes the K701 is a little Bass-shy.
But I always liked how open and comfortable they are.

So if you like that kind of open headphone I would recommend the AKG K712 Pro. A very good headphone for mixing..IMO.
Very easy to wear - even in long mixing sessions
Balanced Bass response - more Bass than the K701
Or the K612 or the K7XX from Drop. All have the 3dB more bass.
Old 9th September 2019
I can vouch for AKG K612. You will never get bass like a closed-back but very good balance, detail and transparency.
Old 9th September 2019
Here for the gear

Just popping in to reaffirm to OP 10 years later that the Beyer DT880 are still amazing headphones. I’ve done a loooot of mixes and referencing on a pair of those for the past 6+ years and they have not let me down. Very honest.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
So far the reviews from magazines and websites are very good. Would love to hear some more "real life" experience from anybody here, especially compared to some other closed headphones (DT770, ATH).
Always bear in mind that most reviewers are not looking for accuracy, which is paramount for mixing.
Old 9th September 2019
adl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Always bear in mind that most reviewers are not looking for accuracy, which is paramount for mixing.
Actually the two reviews (in German language) I found are very much about how good the AKG's are for mixing.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear
ATH-R70x is better than the AKG’s in my opinion. I have both.
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
ATH-R70x is better than the AKG’s in my opinion. I have both.
Have you tried the hd650?
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
Have you tried the hd650?
No, sorry. From what I know, HD650 and R70x are very similar.
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, sorry. From what I know, HD650 and R70x are very similar.
Yeah I heard the same. Was curious about the low end response compared to the 70x
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
Yeah I heard the same. Was curious about the low end response compared to the 70x
I can say that I can mix the bottom end quite well in the AT’s. The low end is not big but quite detailed. They are very balanced. My mixes improved a lot when moving from the AKG 7XX, although they are still nice headphones.
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Addict

According to Sonarworks the Focal Elear is supposedly more accurate than the Focal Clear...and sound quality overall is just as good.

So if my Clears stop working I can downgrade to the Elears and still have great sound.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
According to Sonarworks the Focal Elear is supposedly more accurate than the Focal Clear...and sound quality overall is just as good.

So if my Clears stop working I can downgrade to the Elears and still have great sound.
i was very surprised too, considering the difference of price between the two
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Just got a pair of Hifiman HE400i’s for traveling with. Planar magnetic, $189 on Amazon. I haven’t compared them to my 650’s or my LCD 3’s yet, but I think they’re amazing for the price. Sorry if I’m repeating a previous discussion, but does anyone else have experience with these?
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito View Post
i was very surprised too, considering the difference of price between the two
Never assume that price always equals better quality. There are just too many examples out there. This is one of them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodwindy View Post
Never heard of them. I think I've heard of Hifiman before though. They're a consumer brand, correct? What do you like about them?
Old 4 weeks ago
My favorite mixing headphones :

Open : Grado PS100e
Closed : Sony MDR-7520
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post

Oratory1990, who's opinion I trust, strongly prefers the Clear: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/...isons/e3hry54/
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToNever View Post
Oratory1990, who's opinion I trust, strongly prefers the Clear: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/...isons/e3hry54/
Fantastic, thanks for that - led me to this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqb9zjsvc2...Clear.pdf?dl=0

I'll try that curve with Equilibrium/Crave vs Sonarworks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Goodness me, that Clears curve with Crave or Equilibrium sounds so much better than Sonarworks. I was not expecting such a difference.

I've attached them for anyone interested. Crave (.ceq) is using the Transparent filter by default. Equilibrium (.eqi) is based off the TRK Mastering IIR preset.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CLEARS.ceq.zip (722 Bytes, 10 views) File Type: zip CLEARS.eqi.zip (3.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
The best are made by trolls
I looked for Trolls headphones, they sort of look cool.

But yeah mixing on headphones is pretty much something you have to compromise with. Even with SUPER expensive headphones like Audeze LCD-MX4.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Goodness me, that Clears curve with Crave or Equilibrium sounds so much better than Sonarworks. I was not expecting such a difference.

I've attached them for anyone interested. Crave (.ceq) is using the Transparent filter by default. Equilibrium (.eqi) is based off the TRK Mastering IIR preset.
I don't own the Clears but when I use oratory1990s correction for my AKG K612 and compare to Sonarworks I notice it makes it easier to detect when I'm losing punch or causing excessive muddiness.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I used to use the AKG 712 which was excellent for low end referencing, the Senn HD650 which was a good all round headphones, but now, due to terrible tinnitus I use the Adueze LCD-X and a Stax when really in pain. Great headphones.

They are always doing mad deals on AKGs here in the UK and Scan often have discounts for the K series.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukan View Post
I used to use the AKG 712 which was excellent for low end referencing, the Senn HD650 which was a good all round headphones, but now, due to terrible tinnitus I use the Adueze LCD-X and a Stax when really in pain. Great headphones.

They are always doing mad deals on AKGs here in the UK and Scan often have discounts for the K series.
It's funny haw you like the K712 for checking the low end, as the K7XX is pretty much the same as the K712 and although I don't dislike the bottom end on them, I always ended up with a tubby bottom end when mixing with those and the R70x allows me to mix the low end better. Maybe I've just gotten better or it does point to the fact that we will all find cans that are a better match to us and other peoples recommendations can only be considered a loose guide.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ok, if its “to each his own” party...
Using Oppo PM-3 and Etymotic ER3SR for recording monitoring and mixing, both EQed a little bit.

It translates very well to speakers, no fatigue while working, and i like to listen music on both pairs.

Seems like i love US-made (voiced?) phones, as i totally dislike “classic” Sennheisers (except 800s), AKG and Audiotechnica.

Stax and Audeze are great, but too expensive, and i’m satisfied with what i have right now after years of searching.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukan View Post

I agree with Mr. Funk. The 712 are famously lean in the low end. Of course, if you're used to them, and your mixes turn out well, then end of story.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
Ok, if its “to each his own” party...
Well yeah! There's around 4000 posts here in this thread...and around 4000 different 'best mixing headphones'.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search