The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best mixing headphones! Studio Headphones
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4051
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm113 View Post
You do know we are talking about best mixing headphones, right? Which means we are talking about FLAT headphones, not which ones you like the way they sound more. "lmao"
True, your attitude has just been slightly annoying with the “lmao” and everything so I thought I’d give an annoying response. That was immature of me, though, my apologies.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4052
Gear Guru
Ymmv.... Imho..... Fwiw......
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4053
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm113 View Post
What is this Sonarworks stuff?
Frequency response correction software. For more info, refer to one of the various Sonarworks headphone threads on this website. Plenty of chatter going on about their product, and it's worth your attention if you're truly serious about getting the most out of your headphone mixing experiences, regardless of what pair you choose to work with.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4054
Here for the gear
 

Well, I ordered a pair of HD 600s today. Should be a considerable step in the right direction from trying to mix some with my HD 280s
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4055
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
Well, I ordered a pair of HD 600s today. Should be a considerable step in the right direction from trying to mix some with my HD 280s
I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Have the HD280s, looking at higher end open back cans.

Does anyone have experience with Massdrop Sennheisers? I might try to snag a pair of those...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4056
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_cubed View Post
I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Have the HD280s, looking at higher end open back cans.

Does anyone have experience with Massdrop Sennheisers? I might try to snag a pair of those...
I have the 6xx, they're great
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4057
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_cubed View Post
I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Have the HD280s, looking at higher end open back cans.

Does anyone have experience with Massdrop Sennheisers? I might try to snag a pair of those...
That's what I have. The 6xx (I just call it the 650, cuz that's what it is). I think they are better than the regular 650, based on looks alone.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4058
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaulson1217 View Post
I use the ath-m50's (not x so not sure how those compare) and hd650s (also not hd600's so I know they are a little less bright). But when I'm going from listening on the 650's directly to the m50's the hi end is painfully bright (not just my mixes but any tracks I happen to be listening to). This is after listening on the ath-m50's pretty exclusively for almost 10 years. Is this just a matter of your ears having to readjust to different cans? Are the ath-m50's really that bright? Or maybe the 650's are just really not bright. Maybe a mix of both?
Agree in the sense that ears adjust and then different cans or monitors will certainly sound different and sometimes drastically so. But that's the way it's always been - back in the day an LP might sound one way on one system and another way on another system - still sounded great as these were professionally made products but still they sounded different to those of us who were really listening. The average listener might not notice but folks like us probably did.

I actually like the Focal Spirit Pro's but mine cracked and even though I got a replacement it too will crack so I stopped using Focals. In fact, as much as I love my Focal Twin's I intend to sell them as well. Sorry for the aside here but somewhat related.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4059
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
Agree in the sense that ears adjust and then different cans or monitors will certainly sound different and sometimes drastically so. But that's the way it's always been - back in the day an LP might sound one way on one system and another way on another system - still sounded great as these were professionally made products but still they sounded different to those of us who were really listening. The average listener might not notice but folks like us probably did.

I actually like the Focal Spirit Pro's but mine cracked and even though I got a replacement it too will crack so I stopped using Focals. In fact, as much as I love my Focal Twin's I intend to sell them as well. Sorry for the aside here but somewhat related.
I wonder if you could get replacement parts 3D printed in a stronger design/material so they don't keep snapping?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4060
Here for the gear
Hello,
right now I am in the decision process of getting a completely new audio setup for my small home studio.
This thread already helped me a lot when it comes to headphones - I am currently looking at HD600s, R70X or maybe an Audeze LCD-2 Classic, while the last one is more of a daydream.
Where I could need some advice on is the signal way until it reaches the headphones.

Everybody seems to be using or suggest the "consumer grade" DACs all the audiophiles buy from schiit and the many other brands and then use a headphone amp, but in a setup where I want Outs to my monitors. another 2 microphone imputs that doesn't make any sense.
So on the other hand many people use the typical "audio interfaces" around 200$, which are not too great in audio quality on both the DAC and the integrated headphone amp.

I'd like to ask you, if you could give a recommendation for a DAC / Headphone Amp / Mic Pre (maybe all in one) combo under 500$, which will be able to drive the headphones specified above.
Please note that the Audio For the Headphones (and also the speakers) is waay more important than the Mic Pre for me.

thanks,
caspar
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4061
I'd just get a separate headphone amp as DAC portions of most audio interfaces are perfectly adequate while the headphone outputs probably don't cut it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4062
Here for the gear
 

I got 600s on Friday. They certainly do not have a heightened bass response. My first little mix I completed ended up way bass heavy when referenced on speakers. I didn't realize how much bass boost the HD 280s I had been using had.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4063
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToNever View Post
I'd just get a separate headphone amp as DAC portions of most audio interfaces are perfectly adequate while the headphone outputs probably don't cut it.
Would you route the headphone amp to the headphone output or get a audio interface with a second main out?

I am open for specific gear recommendations
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by casparcom View Post
Would you route the headphone amp to the headphone output or get a audio interface with a second main out?

I am open for specific gear recommendations
If I was in the market for an amp today I'd definitely get a JDS Atom. Do you need a second main out to run speakers and headphones simultaneously?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4065
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToNever View Post
If I was in the market for an amp today I'd definitely get a JDS Atom. Do you need a second main out to run speakers and headphones simultaneously?
Yes, thats what I need it for, sorry if that wasn't clear.
Actually I am pretty surprised you recommended this Amp. So you'd spend only 100$ of a 500$ Budget (for the interface and amp) on the amp?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4066
Quote:
Originally Posted by casparcom View Post
Yes, thats what I need it for, sorry if that wasn't clear.
Actually I am pretty surprised you recommended this Amp. So you'd spend only 100$ of a 500$ Budget (for the interface and amp) on the amp?
Sure, no other amp measures better at the moment.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4067
Lives for gear
Yes, although measurements are everything, they are a good place to start and the Atom would take some beating. If you need a balanced input (or output) though, you would need to look elsewhere, but don't let the $100 price tag put you off the Atom.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4068
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Yes, although measurements are everything, they are a good place to start and the Atom would take some beating. If you need a balanced input (or output) though, you would need to look elsewhere, but don't let the $100 price tag put you off the Atom.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Actually I would prefer balanced 1/4th inputs.
Also I don't really seem to find any Audio Interface under 500$ that can do software controlled routing with its second line output...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4069
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by casparcom View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Actually I would prefer balanced 1/4th inputs.
Also I don't really seem to find any Audio Interface under 500$ that can do software controlled routing with its second line output...
To be honest, I use a separate DAC and headphone amp when mixing etc, I just use the interface headphone amp/DAC when tracking. Not that there is anything wrong with the interface' DAC and amp. So you could get something like a Topping D50 or SMSL SU-8 and an Atom for $300.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4070
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaulson1217 View Post
I use the ath-m50's (not x so not sure how those compare) and hd650s (also not hd600's so I know they are a little less bright). But when I'm going from listening on the 650's directly to the m50's the hi end is painfully bright (not just my mixes but any tracks I happen to be listening to). This is after listening on the ath-m50's pretty exclusively for almost 10 years. Is this just a matter of your ears having to readjust to different cans? Are the ath-m50's really that bright? Or maybe the 650's are just really not bright. Maybe a mix of both?
M50x are garbage, and you used the right word, the sound is "painful". They're the most decent throw-away tracking phones studios use that sound deceptively "professional" (they're not) and fun, I guess enjoyable enough for the singer to sing their 5 lines and go home and then throw these somewhere on the console, if they fall and break they're relatively inexpensive to replace. I recently bought these for vocal tracking and I also have had HD600 for almost 20 years now. How on earth you didn't end up with brain damage after having M50 rape your ears for 10 years is beyond me.

So yes, you will readjust, I hope, as long as there's no permanent damage. Just stop using the M50x... ever.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4071
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
M50x are garbage, and you used the right word, the sound is "painful". They're the most decent throw-away tracking phones studios use that sound deceptively "professional" (they're not) and fun, I guess enjoyable enough for the singer to sing their 5 lines and go home and then throw these somewhere on the console, if they fall and break they're relatively inexpensive to replace. I recently bought these for vocal tracking and I also have had HD600 for almost 20 years now. How on earth you didn't end up with brain damage after having M50 rape your ears for 10 years is beyond me.

So yes, you will readjust, I hope, as long as there's no permanent damage. Just stop using the M50x... ever.
I mean I'll be the first to say, it was from a point of pure ignorance. I'm 30 now and I got them fresh out of high school and thought they were the ****. And that just became my headphone point of reference because it's what I know. I will say, when you don't know about headphones and you're trying a bunch on at the store, they stand out because I believe they're tuned to sound flashy. Anyways, when I got the hd650s I kind of realized I'd been hard on my ears the past ten years haha. I still do check mixes on them to make sure what I've done doesn't hurt too bad on them.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4072
Here for the gear
 

I stand by my HD600s -- Got into them (along with some lower end Schiit dac/amp) as an "audiophile" music consumer years ago and stuck with them as I've transitioned into production. Had Beyer DT990 before and thought they were a tad too bright. Not sure how those compare to the 880s, but nothing I've experienced under $400-500 comes close to 600s

p.s I don't see anything wrong with a hobbyist starting out or even sticking with headphones, though if you ever want to take music production seriously - there's obviously no substitute for a pair of monitors. I've learned and improved in a lot of areas since starting HP only, but I somewhat regret putting off getting monitors as long as I did, time that could have gone into ear training and making me a more well rounded producer.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4073
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaulson1217 View Post
And that just became my headphone point of reference because it's what I know. I will say, when you don't know about headphones and you're trying a bunch on at the store, they stand out because I believe they're tuned to sound flashy.
They certainly do. I was at Guitar Center the other day and was trying out all the headphones on their headphone stand. I can see why most people grab these, they do sound flashy, big boom big sizzle equals better to most people.

I wish I'd go with Sennheiser HD280s instead, I had them in my cart and they were cheaper, but then I switched to AT50x because they're so popular on GS. This was the last time I took GS buying advice.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4074
Here for the gear
If you had to choose between a genuine pair of Sennheiser HD 600s, or either massdrop 6xx or 58x, what would you choose, price not being a factor?

For producing techno/trance/edm etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4075
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenEagle View Post
Had Beyer DT990 before and thought they were a tad too bright. Not sure how those compare to the 880s, but nothing I've experienced under $400-500 comes close to 600s
They are hyped in comparison to the 880s. They were designed to be a more fun sounding headphone for casual listening.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaulson1217 View Post
I mean I'll be the first to say, it was from a point of pure ignorance. I'm 30 now and I got them fresh out of high school and thought they were the ****. And that just became my headphone point of reference because it's what I know. I will say, when you don't know about headphones and you're trying a bunch on at the store, they stand out because I believe they're tuned to sound flashy. Anyways, when I got the hd650s I kind of realized I'd been hard on my ears the past ten years haha. I still do check mixes on them to make sure what I've done doesn't hurt too bad on them.
AT M50x might be on the bright and boomy side of neutral but still closer to neutral than not. If anything sounds that bad on them the problem is more likely with the source material. Sennheiser HD650 are largely responsible for enthusiasts inventing the term "Sennheiser veil".
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4077
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToNever View Post
AT M50x might be on the bright and boomy side of neutral but still closer to neutral than not. If anything sounds that bad on them the problem is more likely with the source material. Sennheiser HD650 are largely responsible for enthusiasts inventing the term "Sennheiser veil".
I don’t know, that’s a pretty hefty bump at 10k. Keep in mind mine are not the x series so they have even more of a bump there. And I appreciate your suggestions but this is after comparing loads of perfectly adequate source material. And I’m familiar with the Sennheiser veil, but that seems to me to be mostly because the Sennheiser’s dont Have a bump in that frequency range, where many other headphones do so and it takes a minute to adjust. That was certainly the case for me. Trust me, I used the audio technicas for years, and I still find a use for them now, but at least my pair is awfully bright, in comparing to sennheisers and other sources that I used to just think were dull.

I don’t think any of those enthusiasts would say the audio technicas are flatter than the sennheisers, because that would just be untrue.
Attached Thumbnails
Best mixing headphones!-295d3fe3-cd33-489a-9afb-2ff5122862c1.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4078
Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaulson1217 View Post
I don’t know, that’s a pretty hefty bump at 10k. Keep in mind mine are not the x series so they have even more of a bump there. And I appreciate your suggestions but this is after comparing loads of perfectly adequate source material. And I’m familiar with the Sennheiser veil, but that seems to me to be mostly because the Sennheiser’s dont Have a bump in that frequency range, where many other headphones do so and it takes a minute to adjust. That was certainly the case for me. Trust me, I used the audio technicas for years, and I still find a use for them now, but at least my pair is awfully bright, in comparing to sennheisers and other sources that I used to just think were dull.

I don’t think any of those enthusiasts would say the audio technicas are flatter than the sennheisers, because that would just be untrue.
Have you considered that you are reading too much into those measurements?
I know they were made by Tyll Hertsens on Head Acoustics HMS II.3 head simulator which is considered a previous generation device by now. The specs explicitly say accuracy is not guaranteed above 8-10k and you wont see those peaks in current gen measurement gear. Add in that you main point of comparison is a headphone that's famous for a subdued treble and you have the ingredients needed to form a biased conclusion.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4079
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToNever View Post
Have you considered that you are reading too much into those measurements?
I know they were made by Tyll Hertsens on Head Acoustics HMS II.3 head simulator which is considered a previous generation device by now. The specs explicitly say accuracy is not guaranteed above 8-10k and you wont see those peaks in current gen measurement gear. Add in that you main point of comparison is a headphone that's famous for a subdued treble and you have the ingredients needed to form a biased conclusion.
I’m not really reading much into those measurements, at all, I actually just looked them up to assist my findings. With you questioning my source material and the frequency charts it seems you really want my views to be misguided, somehow. These are just my real world findings. I get what you’re saying about the sennheiser’s trebles being more subdued than other headphones, and I have and do account for that. Yes, that probably plays into it. But I’ve also compared both headphones to various monitors including jbl’s, Tannoy’s, neumann’s And the sennheiser’s are much, much closer in response than the audio technicas, it’s really not even very close. Again, the audio technicas got me through years of listening and tracking and even some mixing, but I am glad to put them on the sidelines now for a superior headphone.

Oh and I forgot the biggest plus of the sennheiser’s is that my ears are almost never fatigued after listening. That is after experiencing ear fatigue problems for years prior, I wonder what the culprit could be?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4080
I'm gonna pull out from this debate since youre taking things personally and accusing me of being malicious rather than countering any point I made so I cant even take you seriously at this point.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Night Stalker / So much gear, so little time
3
choinga / So much gear, so little time
72
Abery Clark / Low End Theory
83
mikoo69 / So much gear, so little time
22
Slayer Of Light / So much gear, so little time
65

Forum Jump
Forum Jump