The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bomb factory VU meter and coming in PT Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 8th July 2010
Lives for gear

Shouldn't +4 on dbx equal -18dbfs in PT?

Okay so IM coming in at -18dbfs.

Im trying to understand all these different meterings. I always thought that I was supposed to keep things near zero on all my equipment such as my tracker and dbx 160 ect. Now IM reading about +4dbu=0VU=-18dbfs. So does this mean my dbx 160 and my Trakker's meter should be closer to +4 db opposed to 0db on the meters to get a good signal in and out?

LAST BUT NOT LEAST!. If you coming in so low dont you risk messing up your quality when you have to hard limit or normalize to get back up to radio standard volume levels?
Old 8th July 2010
Vum
Lives for gear

I was confused as to the subject of the thread vis-a-vis the title...

If you use the search engine on this site you'll literally find hundreds of discussions answering your question. Basically what levels you track at depend on the one thing that is most often overlooked on this site: session planning. If the song you are recording only has 8 tracks then you can safely track at a higher level than say a track that has 48. When you track something live, keep in mind that if you intend on using eq or any other dynamic effect it may alter the heat of your signal: if you track at -3dbFS but then add +6 db of EQ and make-up gain on the compressor you'll run into headroom problems relatively quick.

Those Bombfactory VU meters are adding a lot of plug-in delay and are useless. They tell you nothing. Download Roger Nichols' "Inspector" plug-in for free - it'll tell you what you need freq wise too. For native stuff, open up the phase scope on the masterfader and use the metering there. Far better than the Bombfactory malarky that comes with PT.

Cheers
Old 8th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vum View Post
I was confused as to the subject of the thread vis-a-vis the title...

If you use the search engine on this site you'll literally find hundreds of discussions answering your question. Basically what levels you track at depend on the one thing that is most often overlooked on this site: session planning. If the song you are recording only has 8 tracks then you can safely track at a higher level than say a track that has 48. When you track something live, keep in mind that if you intend on using eq or any other dynamic effect it may alter the heat of your signal: if you track at -3dbFS but then add +6 db of EQ and make-up gain on the compressor you'll run into headroom problems relatively quick.

Those Bombfactory VU meters are adding a lot of plug-in delay and are useless. They tell you nothing. Download Roger Nichols' "Inspector" plug-in for free - it'll tell you what you need freq wise too. For native stuff, open up the phase scope on the masterfader and use the metering there. Far better than the Bombfactory malarky that comes with PT.

Cheers
1. On the input meter of my dbx where do I need to come in at 0 or 4. I always thought it was 0 for best signal but now Im confused with +4dbu. And it always confused me why I came in closer to 4 then dbx because it sounded better. So is 4 the new 0?LOL

2. If I record in lower,like many insist on, does it hurt you later when you have to get your signal back up to radio levels via hard limiting or normalizing?
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

bump
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search