The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reverbnation?
Old 7th July 2010
Gear Guru

Reverbnation?

I need a site I can play my music on. I don't think I'm interested on distributing my music. I'm already with tunecore. I hate myspace and always did even when it was popular. The fidelity sucks, for one thing. I just want a place I can play some.

What are these sites called? Music networking? I don't even have a website. So what works well? What compromises less in terms of sound?

I don't want to distribute everything. Just some music I might want to share. I have one song that's kind i of world cup sensitive so it needs to go up today.

Thanks!!
Old 7th July 2010
Hey Henry!

Have a look at SoundCloud and Bandcamp.
Old 7th July 2010
Gear Guru

Reverbnation?

Cool. Thank you. But I am really embarrassingly stupid about all this. What advantages/disadvantages? Are these better than reverbnation? At a glance they both seem to fit my needs well, maybe better.
Old 7th July 2010
Gear Guru

Reverbnation?

No other feedback between RN, bandcamp, etc? I'm kind if caught. No time to research. I'm teaching.
Old 7th July 2010
I don't have any experience with RN, but have worked with a number of artists that use SC and BC to distribute their stuff. BC gives you the option to have folks download at any quality audio file, either for free or for an amount you choose.
Old 7th July 2010
Gear Guru

Reverbnation?

Well cool. I suppose there's no foul in belonging to more than one since they're free.
Old 8th July 2010
Gear Nut

alonetone.com is a smaller, relatively friendly place.
Old 8th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Well cool. I suppose there's no foul in belonging to more than one since they're free.
Henry,

Reverbnation and Bandcamp are both highly viable options. I use both.

I currently feel Bandcamp is a cleaner platform, as there is less clutter and no ads. It works excellent and I have made sales there. The only thing I would say needs upgrading is the embedded player options. If you don't use those via the "share" feature, then it's completely awesome.

RN has amazing technology, but it comes with "noise", via ads, and spam. I've invested in the widgets, extra file space, and digital delivery features on RN however. It's a useful site for embedding elements upon other sites, in my experience with it. I like the widgets. Sometimes my player seems to have excess buffering though. Other folks say otherwise.

I have experience with both site's customer service and they are both top notch.
Old 8th July 2010
Folks were calling them OMD's for a while -- online music distributors. That seems to have fallen to the wayside as MySpace grabbed the attention of newbs coming into the online music scene and confused the roles of such sites -- and many venerable and newer online music distributors have moved to incorporate various social web and Web 2.0-ish features.

I used Soundclick for years even before the demise of the old Mp3.com and it's got a lot of decent features; unfortunately, it's also hosted pop up ads in the past (mostly I haven't seen those because I use browsers with pop up blocking); but the real problem is that the free accounts are limited to 10MB per file (but unlimited files) -- but, worse, limited to 128kbps Mp3s -- and that's just not competitive anymore. (That said, some folks prefer the lower-fi since it gives their higher fidelity stuff on sale elsewhere added value. Keep in mind, though, that iTunes basic quality of AAC 128 is arguably only marginally better.)

ReverbNation has a lot of good features (but is cluttered as noted above) and gives you the opportunity to put stuff up for sale with no start up cost. (They also will upload and maintain your stuff on iTunes, Amazon, and other stores for a yearly fee; they're competing with Tunecore on that front but the two services have radically different pricing and yearly cost structures, so it's best to do your homework before deciding.)

I haven't tried BandCamp (unless it's the old GarageBand -- I heard they changed the name apparently rather than try to compete with Apple's similarly branded newb-DAW).

iLike is another option (it used to be the best way of getting your music hooked up to your Facebook page but now it's been bought by MySpace).

Last.fm is nice because it mixes your content up with the big guys. At least if you think that's nice. I kind of do.

Soundcloud has some cool features but they really want you to become a subscriber -- they limit the number of plays a given song can have on the free accounts -- I think it's like 100 plays or something; there are a lot of other restrictions, too. But a lot of folks use it for getting feedback and such on new songs because it has kind of a cool visual interface -- a waveform image that you or your visitors can add notations to along the timeline. Great for noting problems or special features of a mix, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search