The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
70s drums sounds, Elvis Costello/early Wings Audio Interfaces
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

70s drums sounds, Elvis Costello/early Wings

Hello,

I try to get this particular sound, a dry 70s, in your face drum sound. Of course I bought Native Instruments Abbey Road 70s drums, but still don´t get that punch I´m aiming for. Also, they don´t sit well on the mix.
What do I need to do? process drum sounds individually? process the whole drum? are NI Abbey Road 70s drums already processed to begin with?
Please, advise to make it happen. I record through a chandler germanium pre amp into a drawmer 1968, into a macbook pro through edirol FA-66.
thanks!
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Are you looking for sample sets to trigger or VIs for your drums, or are you trying to actually record them in your studio?

If the former, then one thing I'd recommend is Toontrack's "Custom & Vintage" expansion pack for Superior Drummer. You can definitely get that really tight, dry, but punchy sound.

If you're actually doing the recording yourself, then there are just sooooo many places to address: room, drum kit, player, etc.

Give us a little more info on what you're doing, and folks will be glad to help out.
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Not record real drums myself, and hopefully not buy more virtual libraries, just learn how to use what I already have, the Native Instruments Abbey road 70s drums library.
Even though the library sounds great on its own, once I start adding bass and guitars and vocals, doesn´t cut though enough. I was hoping someone who also works with it gives me a few tips to tweak it (EQ, compression,...) so that it stands out, and hopefully sounds like the drums in the fisrt Wings records/early Elvis Costello records (not talking about programming drum patterns, which to imitate Pete Thomas might be difficult, I know) ;-)
Old 7th July 2010
Gear Maniac

From the thread title I was hoping this would be about recording technique... oh well.
Old 7th July 2010
Gear Maniac

I'm no expert, but those early Wings albums probably had a good amount of compression - perhaps from the vaunted Fairchild, which is a favorite of Beatles/Wings engineer Geoff Emerick. I've never had the chance to use a real Fairchild... but I'm pretty happy with the IK Multimedia emulation and often use it on drum samples. FWIW......
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

I loved the sound of the drums on "Wings at the Speed of Sound". They were so smooth, kinda mellow, not a whole of dynamic stuff happening there and yes, very dry, IMO.

Reminds me of the sound you get tracking drums using the EH 12AY7 tube pre. The smooth, silky, round, mellow sound squeezed out of the EH pre with an 012 w/pad on toms I think is a perfect example. That track "the note you never wrote" is a perfect example.

You might also be able to get that sound with coles 4038's and a Hamptone HVTP2.

Anyway, with the NI Abbey Road thing you have like infinite control over the nature of the tone as you're creating the tracks, so are you saying the control you have hasn't worked very well?

If what you're hearing in the end isn't what you're looking for try additional processing using something like the technique I posted here. It's a PIA to setup but can really be a valuable tool in a case like this for you.

Multiple reverb structures/rooms within a song

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search