The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Decapitator
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

Decapitator

SoundToys Decapitator is now an indispensable tool of mine. This thing can dance!
Old 18th June 2010
Gear Addict

Re: Decapitator

Couldn't agree more. Decapitator is sick.
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

yes. It is the promised land of plugins! I want some null tests before I loose my mind! And some charts and graphs!
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

+1

Loving it. Loads of control, which is important in a distortion box. Does crazy pretty well too
Old 19th June 2010
it's pretty amazing... so much so that my culture vulture has started to collect a little dust...
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

I'm using it way too much, myself. Dig it.
Old 19th June 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicAndFilmGeek View Post
it's pretty amazing... so much so that my culture vulture has started to collect a little dust...
Wow, how do they compare ?
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

I can't afford to keep buying plugs. Don't even tempt me.

I've already got the Studio Classics on the cards and demoing the Puig Bundle now.
Old 19th June 2010
Gear Maniac

My favourite plugin ever.

I use it to a degree on every track, then cook the buses on a saturation griddle.

It's my desert island plug!
Old 19th June 2010

I don't care what any graphs say, I don't care, this thing makes digital sound better full stop! I would go so far as to say "this is the most important plug-in yet", it has broken a barrier, I use it all the time on everything, very subtly. The mixes with it are significantly better than without, If you are serious about recording and mixing ITB, you NEED IT, there is no question, sell every other plug you have, this thing sounds really unbelievable,
I like the EMI for clean stuff, Neve for warm, Triode for crunchy stuff,. also tape, heck I love um' all... would be great it if they did more.
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

Número UNO plug in my world lately.

I have yet to find so many uses for a plug. Brings excitement to many a drum buss etc.

Well done sound toys!
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

This definitely IS my magic plugin..used on it on so many things that it really made THE difference......for me a little goes a long way... little drive, and mix never at 100...... on busses, some tracks, mastering live recordings etc... really does a magic for me.
rsp
Old 19th June 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
This definite IS my magic plugin..used on it on so many things that it really made THE difference......for me a little goes a long way... little drive, and mix never at 100...... on busses, some tracks etc... really does a magic for me.
rsp
I like it at full mix as well but with very little drive on the EMI, treble at 12,o'clock, depends on how sterile, the source material is, if its brittle more is better.
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by api2500 View Post
demoing the Puig Bundle now.
You can live without it!
IK's 670 is just as good. and the Nebula equivalent EQ's are a world away (they actually sound like hw if the programs are good).

Decapitator, Bootsy's Ferric & Nebula R2R are the best in ITB analogue saturation tools imothumbsup
Old 19th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSteven View Post
Wow, how do they compare ?
decapitator is a saturation/distortion plug in. essentially it recreates the same kind of sonic dynamics my culture vulture does for dirtying things up, phattening them up - adding a bit of "wool" to sounds - rolling off some transients, etc.

but it also can be used very effectively on guitars almost like an amp sim (but cooler)

pretty much any thing I can do with my culture vulture I can do with decapitator.
Old 19th June 2010
Decapitator done in butter with a little bit if garlic....delicious.
Old 20th June 2010
Lives for gear

I actually experimented with it now over my entire stereo bus. Filtered the T under 1k, P above 1k

Interesting results..
Old 20th June 2010
I bought a Culture Vultur 6 months ago and few months later I tried the Decapitator - the tests were very favourable for the Decapitator - its really a fabolous plug. I am thinking about selling the CV - one thing that keeps me away from it is, that it has some great DI - and it looks sick
Old 20th June 2010
Lives for gear

i used it recently, and loved it... might be my new favorite plug
Old 20th June 2010
Lives for gear

great plugin! most soundtoys stuff is amazing.
Old 20th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Im a fan!

Dare i say its the new Vintage Warmer?
Old 20th June 2010
Sky
Lives for gear

+1. Great plug.

Sky
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

+1000. This is my "can't mix without" plug. Echoboy is right up there too.
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

+1 Amazing plug, just started using it a couple months ago and can't live without it.
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Too bad it can't be used with UAD cards...I guess I'm out of luck. As much as it sounds like I'd end up wanting to use this on a session, I better not even try it, cuz I'll kill my computer...lol
Old 21st June 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Too bad it can't be used with UAD cards...I guess I'm out of luck. As much as it sounds like I'd end up wanting to use this on a session, I better not even try it, cuz I'll kill my computer...lol
Why?
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

How do you guys feel this guy would work on a send, choosing a good all-around sort of tape emulation sound and sending a little bit of each track into it?
Old 21st June 2010
Run this all the time on my buss.

X-logic SSL (5.1 version - using 2 of the channels) - Hammer EQ - out of the Dangerous 2 Buss to the Benchmark, back into Pro Tools into the Decapitator (just a smidge) and sometimes the L2 to keep things where I want them but been pushing away for the L2. The L2 is just barely barely barely moving too. Just there to keep things in check. Use the Dangerous for the main gain staging placement. LOVE THE DECAPITATOR!

Gotta watch it though as it can be overdone quick.

Doc
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 View Post
great plugin! most soundtoys stuff is amazing.
thumbsup
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelDoc View Post
Run this all the time on my buss.

X-logic SSL (5.1 version - using 2 of the channels) - Hammer EQ - out of the Dangerous 2 Buss to the Benchmark, back into Pro Tools into the Decapitator (just a smidge) and sometimes the L2 to keep things where I want them but been pushing away for the L2. The L2 is just barely barely barely moving too. Just there to keep things in check. Use the Dangerous for the main gain staging placement. LOVE THE DECAPITATOR!

Gotta watch it though as it can be overdone quick.

Doc
Right on man!
📝 Reply