The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Decapitator
Old 29th September 2010
Lives for gear

Decapitator

They really are power hungry. That's my only complaint..
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear
I bought the upgrade to get the decapitator, downloaded it, and now all of my soundtoys plugins makes my system stop and I get a "system error" message. It screwed things up so much I had to deleate the soundtoys file just to open up protools files again. I sent them a contact a few days ago and haven't heard back. Can anyone help me out?
Old 10th October 2010
Sky
Lives for gear

I just installed SoundToys Native 4.0.2 in a 2010 Mac Pro / PTLE 8.0.4 and so far so good. Decapitator on a track with Stylus RMX uses perhaps 8% of CPU - definitely power hungry but stable.

Sky
Old 2nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Where exactly are you guys putting this thing in your signal chain? I'm tempted to put it at the beginning, print and continue mixing... because my laptop can't handle too many of them
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geissler View Post
Where exactly are you guys putting this thing in your signal chain? I'm tempted to put it at the beginning, print and continue mixing... because my laptop can't handle too many of them
I'd put it after EQ and Compression decisions. I use it to enhance.

But then you'd have to make sure all your buffer settings and workflow is optimised first.

Pre EQ and Comp it might get a bit unruly.

Try it on the bus?
Old 3rd December 2010
Vum
Lives for gear

CPU

out of curiosity, what kind of CPU hit does this plug-in commit? I've been considering this to replace my Massey Tape-Head for when I work outside of PT.
Old 3rd December 2010
Vum
Lives for gear

nevermind, 2nd post says 8% w/RMX which I use.
Old 11th December 2010
Here for the gear

anytime I wanted that amazing vintage sound I usually just point and clicked towards crane song, now on the other hand this beast gets ALL MY CLICKS!

No lie, I had originally been un-impressed. but after REALLY using this plug, ****! all I have to say is....steven slate plat drums, kick, snare, hi-hat sent out to separate EQ's and this bad boy sitting on-top and well, uhm there is nothing else to say....that sound just speaks for itself...and oh my dare we say ear-gasim?!
Old 11th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geissler View Post
I would DEFINITLY put this after compression, EQ!

But then again it all depends on taste, and now a days of course what your computer can handle before that god-awful stutter and pop-up ****ting on everything steve jobs touted as a "WORKHORSE OF A WARMACHINE COMPUTER"
puts a big annoying halt to creativity, but don't worry man it happens to the best of us!

As I was saying its good to just Bus your drums to a stereo track for the sack of CPU and have the final EQ and Decap; so it all gel's together!
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synæsthesiac View Post
Soundtoys+Softube+UAD+Duende

Best $5000 I've spent, ever. My mixes blow away any of my previous mixes using URS, PSP, and Waves.

Decapitator blew me away so much I immediately bought the whole bundle.
+0.75

I would like to give you +1, but I don't have Duende...
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Marshall View Post
Decapitator is nice. It's no Culture Vulture.

Plugins will never do what hardware does. 1's and 0's are too orderly. Hardware introduces elements of chaos on frequencies above and below human perception.
mmm, how we can tell the difference if we can't perceive it?
We are not measurement equipment...
Old 11th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaulgrim View Post
I would DEFINITLY put this after compression, EQ!
I don't think there is any "right" way. I often use it #1 in the chain - BEFORE EQ, Compression, etc. Like it had been recorded that way, and now it's time to mix - EQ, compression, etc.
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I don't think there is any "right" way. I often use it #1 in the chain - BEFORE EQ, Compression, etc. Like it had been recorded that way, and now it's time to mix - EQ, compression, etc.
I use it first as well. It affects the amount of compression and eq used.
Old 11th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Decapitator done in butter with a little bit if garlic....delicious.
Decap Scampi?
Old 12th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
I use it first as well. It affects the amount of compression and eq used.
And uh huh.

I don't mix the material I record so I've been using Decapitator as a post-record pre-mix sweetener before passing the multitracks to my engineer and it really helps me blend the tracks just that little bit more and means less work (ie.EQ/Comp) before my engineer can really start adding his polish.

I love this plug.

R.
Old 13th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:

Ah cool, yea I can see that, and its true there really isn't a right or wrong way just my opinion. I put it on after for the fact I like the sound to do whatever it wants per say, rather then have it be touched by EQing,
My father complains about all the hell he went through in his day trying to eliminate these sounds off his recording and when he sees me applying it all he can do is facepalm, then again he taught me the ins and outs of recording and mixing so all I can hear him say in my ear when I look for the right spot for the plug is, Would I rather it sound like my microphones are **** and creating a fuzz or would I rather it sound like the tape onto which it was recorded is created the sound?

Thats just the way I perceive it, sort of ingrained, I figure that no listener or anyone for that mater would ever have those thoughts cross their mind but still cant shake it.
Old 13th December 2010
Quote:
+1, my approach as well.
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear

Its the most juicy plugin ever made. Hands down. Great Plug.
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear

I can't get 64 bit Cubase to see Dacapitator. Anyone else have this problem? Soundtoys tried to help, but we could never get it to work!
Old 13th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
I can't get 64 bit Cubase to see Dacapitator. Anyone else have this problem? Soundtoys tried to help, but we could never get it to work!
Try Jbridge: jBridge « J’s stuff
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear

Actually, I just installed the Cubase update that came out recently, and it found Decapitator, as well as UAD Fatso SR...Woohoo!!!!
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

mix bus

e setting
mix: 100%
0 drive

uh-mazing! a little bright, bring down the highs with tape bias

a go-to effect for me ITB
📝 Reply