The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
i.d. sound studio Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 27th November 2005
Lives for gear

i.d. sound studio

hi:
does anybody know anything about the old I.D. Sound studio in L.A.? i'm just curious as to the location, equipment used, etc.
any info would be greatly appreciated,
thanks,
-J
Old 27th November 2005
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Guitar
hi:
does anybody know anything about the old I.D. Sound studio in L.A.? i'm just curious as to the location, equipment used, etc.
any info would be greatly appreciated,
thanks,
-J
I was there for a awhile in 1977 before it turned into RUSK Sound Studios. Some great records were made there including 2 or 3 Todd Rundgren records and some Doors stuff. the location was 1556 N Labrea. between Sunset and Hollywood blvd. The stuff i worked on there was Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators, and a group called Bubble Puppy as well as an Angry Samoans record.
The equipment was still 16 track, i beleive it was a Scully and the board was a homemade 20x8x16 with minimal eq and routing, but it sounded big. Speakers were Altec 604's with Mastering Lab crossovers.
If i remember more i will add to the post
Old 27th November 2005
Lives for gear

yeah, i'm really down with those Todd records, as well as some late '60's Beach Boys stuff (when Brian was out of it, the rest of the guys opted not to record at gold star or western, i guess). i wanted to learn a little more about the making of Ballad of Todd Rundgren, Something/Anything, etc.
was james lowe engineering there still by '77? i wonder where he's at...
you were working with roky erickson??? how was THAT?!
-J
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search