The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If you should choose 1 book about mixing, 1 about mastering
Old 11th June 2010
Gear Head

If you should choose 1 book about mixing, 1 about mastering

Hi all,

I'm looking for books who deal with mixing and mastering.

But, i would like to know if there is like "the" books to read (the most important).

I want them not too long, Clear and dealing with the essential things to know !

So for you, what is the best book in each of this two subjects to have ?
Old 11th June 2010
Gear Addict

mastering audio bob katz

haven't read any mixing books.
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

The best I've read are:
mastering audio by bob katz
mixing with your mind by michael stavrou
mixing audio by roey izhaki
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

The Bob Katz book is definitely going to be on the list... I can't say I
ve read any good books about mixing but that Mixing With Your Mind book gets brought up a lot and is on my short list of reading material.
Old 11th June 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor_glitch View Post

Good one!!
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

The Mixing Engineers Handbook
Bobby Owsinski
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

Another vote for "Mastering Audio" by Bob Katz.
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor_glitch View Post
mixing with your mind by michael stavrou

My mixing books would be Mixing with your Mind, Michael Stavrou and Mixing Engineer's Handbook by Bobby Owsinski.
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
All of these are must haves, in my opinion.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4094587-post3.html

The Eargle books, especially.

Mixing with your mind is great, if a bit pricey.

I looked over your list. "Behind the Glass" is a great one that I had forgetten. I need to read that one again. It's full of interviews with some of the world's most famous producers/engineers and asks them how they get their sounds (gear, mixing tips, etc.). I like how they actually get specific rather than just give a biography of the producers.
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
I looked over your list. "Behind the Glass" is a great one that I had forgetten. I need to read that one again. It's full of interviews with some of the world's most famous producers/engineers and asks them how they get their sounds (gear, mixing tips, etc.). I like how they actually get specific rather than just give a biography of the producers.
I've got my copy!
Old 12th June 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romain74 View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for books who deal with mixing and mastering.

But, i would like to know if there is like "the" books to read (the most important).

I want them not too long, Clear and dealing with the essential things to know !

So for you, what is the best book in each of this two subjects to have ?
mixing with your mind by michael stavrou for me was a real mindopener. I like the way he approaches mixing. And it´s not that much technical mumbo jumbo ..more general advices and how to think.my recomendation nr1. Mastering audio with bob katz is also really good, but a bit boring..
Old 12th June 2010
Lives for gear

Mixing with your Mind
Old 12th June 2010
Lives for gear

I've sat next to some of the world's top ME's and have read the books ...the one with interviews "Mastering Engineer's Handbook" has the clues, especially from Doug Sax -but you must read between the lines.
Old 12th June 2010
Gear maniac

Bobby Owinski's Mixing Engineer's Handbook is great. When I didn't know ANYTHING it gave me the fundamental basics to start experimenting.

Mixing with your mind is great too, but I think it wouldn't make A LOT of sense to someone who has no mixing experience.

And Mastering Audio by Bob Katz is another great one.
Old 2nd July 2010
Gear Maniac

How much updated information are in 2nd edition of "Mastering Audio"? Is it worth the invesment over 1st edition? I started to read 1st edition... I had a look into 2nd edition also...But I couldnt say how MUCH different they are...
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Fantastic, FAN-TASTIC, book. So clear and easy to understand and has some great tips for both beginner and intermediate mixers. I've re-read it several times, and every time I go back through, something new clicks for me.

Also, it comes with an audio DVD with thousands of sound files to give you examples of different things. For example, "here's a guitar with no compression. Now here's the same guitar with 3:1 compression, X ms attack, and X ms of release." It really helps to hear exactly what he's talking about.

By the way, if you read reviews, you'll find the first edition was horribly edited. It has since been revised and is pretty much perfect. Buy on Amazon and you'll have no problems.
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Definitely mixing with your mind is a must. Stav has very entertaining techniques that you'll have a blast implimenting. A great read and a huge leg in to the world of pro's.

cheers
Old 3rd July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasnub View Post
+1 great informational readheh
Old 3rd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meder View Post
+1 great informational readheh
++ Roey Izhaki's "Mixing Audio" - a fantastic, well-thumbed resource..
Old 3rd July 2010
Lives for gear

For mixing, I'd get ahold of the 24 track mix masters floating around of Van Halen, Queen, Jackson Five and Marvin Gaye. Buy the corresponding albums. Compare and contrast yours with theirs.

Mastering without a proper room and playback system is like a food critic judging a restaurant a half hour after dental surgery.

If Bob Ludwig could write a manual, I would be surprised if it said little other than "listen closely and do what's necessary".
Old 3rd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasnub View Post

Fantastic, FAN-TASTIC, book. So clear and easy to understand and has some great tips for both beginner and intermediate mixers. I've re-read it several times, and every time I go back through, something new clicks for me.

Also, it comes with an audio DVD with thousands of sound files to give you examples of different things. For example, "here's a guitar with no compression. Now here's the same guitar with 3:1 compression, X ms attack, and X ms of release." It really helps to hear exactly what he's talking about.

By the way, if you read reviews, you'll find the first edition was horribly edited. It has since been revised and is pretty much perfect. Buy on Amazon and you'll have no problems.
+ 1000. I'd like to consider myself "reasonably" experienced, but I learn something every time I re-read this one. And, as has been mentioned, the sound files (there are TONS of them) are really well-done. Think of it as a combination of technical instruction and ear training for those techniques.

For mastering, the Katz book. There is no equal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search