The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question about RNC, Mbox2, and preamps Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 9th June 2010
Gear Head

Question about RNC, Mbox2, and preamps

Hi, i have been reading alot of good reviews about the RNC and have decided to look to buy one to add to my stuff. I assumed (naively i guess) that i'd be going from my mic (sm7b) to the compressor, and then to the mbox2. My friend told me then that this wouldn't work because i have to bring this mic up to line level before the compressor for it to work. I don't have any standalone pre's, ive just been using the preamps in the mbox. I was wondering if (a) this is true, and if it is as im assuming, is there a way i can route it so i go from my microphone to the mbox first for the preamp, then out, through the compressor, and back into the other input of the mbox? I tried some stuff but it didnt seem to work. Thanks for anyone taking the time to read this, ideally i want to get the RNP to go with it anyway but i can't afford it yet.
Old 9th June 2010
That is correct, as you'll need a microphone preamplifier [such as the one on your m-box] to bring the microphone to line level.

Does the MBOX have an Insert Send/Return for the Mic pre? Otherwise, I'm afraid you'll need an external microphone preamplifier in order to patch the RNC [which wants to use +4 Unbalanced Line Level Signal at both ends]. I wouldn't involve round trip signal flow for tracking.

You can use any balanced microphone preamplifier's output with the RNC's +4 Unbalanced Inputs, by using TS connectors at the RNC side, with Pin 3 [Cold] and Pin 1 [Ground] of the balanced XLR or TRS - soldered to the sleeve of the TS connector. Works great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search