The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Music Genre's by Decade Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1st June 2010
  #1
New Music Genre's by Decade

help me out here people - what are the new music genre's that emerged by decade?

I know many of you are more educated on this topic than I am... have at it...

60s
-
-

70s
- Disco
- Punk?

80s
- SynthPop
- "Alternative Rock"
- "Hair Metal"
- Rap & Hip-Hop
- ElectroFunk ?

90s
- Grunge
- Techno/Rave/Eletronica
- "Industrial" Rock
- Gangsta Rap

00's
-???
Old 1st June 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
DCtoDaylight's Avatar
 

For the 60s, you could certainly have:

Rhythm & Blues
Soul
British Invasion
Heavy Metal
Psychedelic
Ska/Rock Steady

For the 70s,

New Wave
Reggae
Funk
Rap
Outlaw Country
Progressive Rock
Fusion

Last edited by DCtoDaylight; 1st June 2010 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: Removed snarky comments about certain genres.... :-)
Old 1st June 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 

If you're going into all the various forms of metal, such as "hair metal" the list will be veeeery long. Black metal, death metal, doom, viking metal, dark metal, thrash, NWOBHM, nu metal, power metal, gothic metal, sludge metal, stoner metal... puh... You get the idea. And even within those genres you can find sub-genres. Probably the same with electronic music. How deep do you want to go?
Old 1st June 2010
  #4
hiphop is unique from swing for example, death metal is unique from techno/rave... so as much as there are sub genre's there are also unique points of formation of something new...

I guess one of the things I'm looking for is to see what were the new music genre's of the 00's ? Specifically looking at the spawn point for each emerging new genre...

I'm also curious about earlier points in time (blues, jazz, country & western, etc)...

what inspired this question is this quote by Jaron Lanier about the effects of so called "Open Culture":

Quote:
Findings - Jaron Lanier Is Rethinking the Open Nature of the Internet - NYTimes.com

“It’s as if culture froze just before it became digitally open, and all we can do now is mine the past like salvagers picking over a garbage dump,” Mr. Lanier writes. Or, to use another of his grim metaphors: “Creative people — the new peasants — come to resemble animals converging on shrinking oases of old media in a depleted desert.”

To save those endangered species, Mr. Lanier proposes rethinking the Web’s ideology, revising its software structure and introducing innovations like a universal system of micropayments. (To debate reforms, go to Tierney Lab at nytimes.com/tierneylab.
Old 1st June 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
i guess you could add and i loath even saying it...

2000s

-emo

-screamo

-electroclash (peaches,ladytron, letigre, fischerspooner, yeah yeahs kinda fit in here ect.) a lot of pop artists like christina agularo how ever you spell it are ripping samples for new albums off this genre and hiring these acts to turn out beats. it's been around for almost a decade now and is really big in europe clubs and on the nyc scene. pretty much punk meets techno and disco with the drum beat usually being 16ths and the guitars in a 3 chord progression with a bassy synth over it usually arpegiated in time with the drums. I would say in the city this is the most in thing i've seen the last 5 years and where a lot of artist are starting to steal from at the current moment.

chiptunes- crystal castles, and a few others...pretty much game boy drum and synth emulation. sometimes 8 bit music paired up with modern day blend.

digital hardcore- never really took off at all started in europe. pretty much like electro clash with no dance or pop element to it. metal and punk using electronic instruments with a band. atari teenage riot, alec empire. slayer grouped up with atari teenage riot on a soundtrack for a song.

white noise/noise- exactly what it means lol. yes there are some people out there that do this. black dice, lighting bolt kinda but they have some talent.. just using korg pads, distoriton pedals with loads of crappy monitors and speakers busting out peoples ears using anything to make noise with synths and wierd sounds that usually never really connect in anyway. i really have to say this is for a lot of people who don't know how to play music at all but really want to be seen and known for something with out learning how to do anything and on a limited budget.
Old 1st June 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
tropicalhotdog's Avatar
 

I think that all of those suggestion post-1970's are more subgenres. I can't see a fully defined genre that emerged since punk, rap and disco.

If you ask me the next genre to emerge after those was the internet. I know, not music. But it's where disaffected and creative youth turned their energies in order to find community and express disatisfaction with the status quo. While an alienated and creative 16 year old used to pick up a guitar or spit a rhyme, now he or she creates some freaky website or writes some potent new code. It made a bunch of young people rich, it changed culture, it got commercialized, the status quo didn't get it and then later embraced it, it has a certain definable ethos. I'd argue that, while not music, it was the last genre.
Old 1st June 2010
  #7
I'll play...

40s
R&B
jump blues
electric blues
calypso

50s
rock and roll
backbeat pop (light rock and roll)
calypso pop

60s
- surf (actually late 50s)
- folk revival, chamber folk, folk pop
- blues rock
- psychedelic pop
- acid rock
- rock steady
- reggae
- heavy metal (I first heard the term when Led Zeppelin came out, used by LA DJ B. Mitchel Reid, c. late '68)

70s
- neo classical rock
- prog rock
- jazz rock/fusion
- techno
- hard rock
- boogie rock
- afro beat
- Disco
- Punk?
(maybe late 60s but certainly by '75)
- goth

80s
- SynthPop (I'd put this in the 70s)
- "Alternative Rock" (if anyone ever figures out what this genre is, lemme know)
- "Hair Metal" (more a style/clothing thing, seems to me)
- Rap & Hip-Hop (late 70s)
- ElectroFunk ? (70s)

-bat cave / goth pop
- world music
dub pop
rave / club
noisecore

90s
trip hop
trip hop influenced easy listening/pop (all those breathy voiced girl singers with their boyfriends producing, all over the same well-worn, downtempo break)
- Grunge (late 80s)
- Techno/Rave/Eletronica
(late 80s for rave and dub/club)
- "Industrial" Rock
(late 70s)
- Gangsta Rap
(80s)

00's
-???
- Auto-Tune rock
- Auto-Tune Nashville pop
- Auto-Tune R&B
- Auto-Tuned Auto-Tune
(I'm sure there was something new going on -- but I couldn't hear it through all retuning artifacts.)


I'm missing some stuff. Maybe I'll come back...
Old 1st June 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
NoVi's Avatar
Trying to restrict it main genres, not sub genres...

60's:
Beat music
(Motown) Soul
Psychedelic
Reggae
Funk

70's
Country Rock
Glam Rock
Symphonic Rock
Metal
Punk
Disco
Rap
Fusion

80's
Synth Pop
Dance
House
Hip Hop

90's
Grunge
RnB
Lounge

00's
Goa?
Dubstep?

In hindsight I think the 70's was a period with the widest variety in genres.
Old 1st June 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
mu6gr8's Avatar
We don't want to forget "soft rock" from the '70s...well, maybe we do.
Old 1st June 2010
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu6gr8 View Post
We don't want to forget "soft rock" from the '70s...well, maybe we do.
Who can forget classics like "Chevy Van," "You, Me, and a Dog Named Boo," or the Stairway to Heaven of lite rock, "Afternoon Delight"?

And let's not forget heavy lite rock, easy listening pop with a philosophical bent, like the Moody Blues or Kansas.
Old 3rd June 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
mu6gr8's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Who can forget classics like "Chevy Van," "You, Me, and a Dog Named Boo," or the Stairway to Heaven of lite rock, "Afternoon Delight"?

And let's not forget heavy lite rock, easy listening pop with a philosophical bent, like the Moody Blues or Kansas.
... or artists like Bread, America or Ambrosia?
Old 3rd June 2010
  #12
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

00's
-???
- Auto-Tune rock
- Auto-Tune Nashville pop
- Auto-Tune R&B
- Auto-Tuned Auto-Tune
(I'm sure there was something new going on -- but I couldn't hear it through all retuning artifacts.)


I'm missing some stuff. Maybe I'll come back...
Auto-Tuned Auto-Tune. Hilarious! Unfortunately, also so true!
Old 25th November 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
johndykstra's Avatar
 

I hate knowing this, but "emo" was definable before the 2000's. Fugazi and Rites of Spring. That's right. Emo didn't always suck.
Old 25th November 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 

new wave is 80's not 70's. It was starting to emerge late 70's but no one associates this genre with the 70's

Heavy metal while the name was used somewhere in the 60's no one associates the 60's with heavy metal that's for sure.

Techno started really in the 80's but it's still as strong now as then so i don't know what decade you'd put that under. Same with house music.

Goa trance definitely associated with the 90's. The psy trance of today and goa trance are very different.

acid house - late 80's, early 90's.
Old 25th November 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Old Goat's Avatar
 

You guys forgot Country. Well there was country in the 50s, 60s, and 70s if you count the outlaw country boys.

Not much since the early 80s unless you listen to noncommercial radio.
Old 25th November 2010
  #16
Sky
Lives for gear
 
Sky's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by radic View Post
new wave is 80's not 70's. It was starting to emerge late 70's but no one associates this genre with the 70's
A pretty strong case can be made for New Wave as a 70s-into-80s phenomenon:

New Wave Music

"In the U.S., the first New Wavers were the not-so-punk acts associated with the New York club CBGB, such as Talking Heads, Mink DeVille and Blondie.[8] CBGB owner Hilly Kristal, referring to the first show of the band Television at his club in March 1974, said, "I think of that as the beginning of new wave."[24] Furthermore, many artists who would have originally been classified as punk were also termed New Wave. A 1977 Phonogram Records compilation album of the same name (New Wave) features US artists including the Dead Boys, Ramones, Talking Heads and The Runaways.[8][25]"

Sky
Old 25th November 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lives For Fuzz View Post
help me out here people - what are the new music genre's that emerged by decade?

I know many of you are more educated on this topic than I am... have at it...

60s
-
-

70s
- Disco
- Punk?

80s
- SynthPop
- "Alternative Rock"
- "Hair Metal"
- Rap & Hip-Hop
- ElectroFunk ?

90s
- Grunge
- Techno/Rave/Eletronica
- "Industrial" Rock
- Gangsta Rap

00's
-???
70s had lots of stuff - heavy Metal, industrial, punk, AOR, arena rock, prog,
post punk, NWOBHM, southernrock, funk, funk rock,

80s had thrash/power metal, raprock
Old 25th November 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 
waxx's Avatar
 

Some additions in popular subcultures

80's
Dancehall reggae
raggajungle
UK Steppers dub
Booty Bass/Miami bass
Gangsta rap (first tunes came arround 87 with N.W.A. ao LA based acts)
Techno
House
...

90's
Raggamuffin
rave
jungle
DnB
Tek-house
Hardtek
Gabber house
Acid
Goa Trance
Psy Trance
Eurotrance
Hardtrance
Digital Hardcore
ambient/nubient
broken beat
big beat
...

00's

-dubstep: electronic dub based music but with big influence from DnB, Hiphop a.o. It also feat a lot of new subgenres (Gorestep, Dubstep-hiphop, bassline house, ...)
-grime: UK hiphop with bassy electronic beats and jamaican raggamuffin style attitude (Dizzee Rascal, Wiley, Lady Sovereign, early M.I.A.)
-kuduro: Central african raggahouse-like electronic urban music (Buruka Som Sistema for instance)
-UK Funky: a kind of soca/house mixup
-Wonky: a kind of UK raphouse
-2step: dnb meats dancehall meets rnb (so solid crew, ...)
-breakcore: extreme kind of jungle meets industrial meets gabber house (venetian snares, sickboy, ...)
-jump: evolution out of gabber house (don't know artists)
-Nu-rave: oldskool rave meets rock & co (Goose, F*cking Dewaele brothers, ...)
-Coupé Decalé: West african pop (Magic System, ...)
-Minimal (and all it's subgenres): an evolution out of Techno with more spare arrangments (many, but i'm not into it so i don't know artists)
...
But none of them are really mainstream, altough all of them have a large fanbase and a lot of artists make rather big money.
Old 25th November 2010
  #19
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by radic View Post
new wave is 80's not 70's. It was starting to emerge late 70's but no one associates this genre with the 70's
Sorry to nit-pick, but I'm a huge fan of late 70's New Wave. Blondie, The Boomtown Rats, The Cars, Devo, Magazine, Gary Numan, B-52's, The Knack etc... were all widely considered "New Wave" artists and we're going strong in the late 70's and some of these artist we're in the top-10, cover of Rolling Stone etc... They were not punk bands even though many new Wave artist emerged from the various regional punk scenes. The late 70's-early 80's is when New Wave began splintering into all sorts of things like "post-Punk, Neo- Psych, synth-pop, New Romantic, Mod, Rock-a-Billy, No-Wave" etc... All of this weirdo-freak music was somehow called "New Wave" by people who were just introduced to it until they eventually picked which strain of it they we're going to embrace. "Punk" splintered into as many sub-genres as "New Wave".
Old 25th November 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 

chillwave, witch house, anything else carles makes up.

Genres are not strictly necessary or important. You can't take them as an indicator of the health of musical creativity.
Old 25th November 2010
  #21
I think that the primary new musical form of the 2000s should be called "MixCore", since the musicians are just human samples to use during the mix to create the actual song.
Old 25th November 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
 

New Music Genre's by Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxx
Some additions in popular subcultures

80's
Dancehall reggae
raggajungle
UK Steppers dub
Booty Bass/Miami bass
Gangsta rap (first tunes came arround 87 with N.W.A. ao LA based acts)
Techno
House
...

90's
Raggamuffin
rave
jungle
DnB
Tek-house
Hardtek
Gabber house
Acid
Goa Trance
Psy Trance
Eurotrance
Hardtrance
Digital Hardcore
ambient/nubient
broken beat
big beat
...

00's

-dubstep: electronic dub based music but with big influence from DnB, Hiphop a.o. It also feat a lot of new subgenres (Gorestep, Dubstep-hiphop, bassline house, ...)
-grime: UK hiphop with bassy electronic beats and jamaican raggamuffin style attitude (Dizzee Rascal, Wiley, Lady Sovereign, early M.I.A.)
-kuduro: Central african raggahouse-like electronic urban music (Buruka Som Sistema for instance)
-UK Funky: a kind of soca/house mixup
-Wonky: a kind of UK raphouse
-2step: dnb meats dancehall meets rnb (so solid crew, ...)
-breakcore: extreme kind of jungle meets industrial meets gabber house (venetian snares, sickboy, ...)
-jump: evolution out of gabber house (don't know artists)
-Nu-rave: oldskool rave meets rock & co (Goose, F*cking Dewaele brothers, ...)
-Coupé Decalé: West african pop (Magic System, ...)
-Minimal (and all it's subgenres): an evolution out of Techno with more spare arrangments (many, but i'm not into it so i don't know artists)
...
But none of them are really mainstream, altough all of them have a large fanbase and a lot of artists make rather big money.
Are any of these actually a radical departure or a unique new sound?

HipHop and rap did not sound like anything else going on the time. When you heard it, you knew instantly this was a new form of expression, it could not be confused with Soul, R&B, Disco or Funk.

Same with Punk. Same with SynthPop. Same with Industrial. Same with Techno, House and Trance.

What is the unique new sound of the 00's I wonder?
Old 25th November 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Neenja's Avatar
 

Crunk and reggaeton are double naught genres and were/are huge.
Old 25th November 2010
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Neenja's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOnTheGo View Post
What is the unique new sound of the 00's I wonder?
The truth is that the further we go the less likely we are going to have anything but sub-genres and combining of other genres. If you are going to take the hard line you are taking there have been no new styles of music since the 60s and maybe the 50s.
Old 25th November 2010
  #25
Lives for gear
 

New Music Genre's by Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja
The truth is that the further we go the less likely we are going to have anything but sub-genres and combining of other genres. If you are going to take the hard line you are taking there have been no new styles of music since the 60s and maybe the 50s.
How far back do you trace hiphop and rap?
Old 25th November 2010
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOnTheGo View Post
What is the unique new sound of the 00's I wonder?
-5-6 dB RMS and autotuned/sampled/synthetic everything.

The 00's were the tail end of human music. The 10's are the era of homogeneous, loud, and artificial.
Old 25th November 2010
  #27
Lives for gear
 
waxx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOnTheGo View Post
Are any of these actually a radical departure or a unique new sound?

HipHop and rap did not sound like anything else going on the time. When you heard it, you knew instantly this was a new form of expression, it could not be confused with Soul, R&B, Disco or Funk.

Same with Punk. Same with SynthPop. Same with Industrial. Same with Techno, House and Trance.

What is the unique new sound of the 00's I wonder?
Not really true, hiphop could be compared to the jamaican rubadub (most known artist is probally King Yellowman) wich emerged from the late 60's but got mainstream in jamaica at the same time that hiphop did break trough in the US (late 70's). early hiphop was basicly rubadub meets funk and disco.

Punk is old garagerock in a low fi badboy version. House is basicly a kind of evoluated disco, just like synthpop. Industrial, techno and trance are new, but are also based on the electro of kraftwerk and the likes and probally also on work of classic composers like Philip Glass or Karlheinz Stockhausen who were already going that direction. There is no real new music, there is only new approches to make music.

dubstep, grime and wonky (and also the older DnB and Jungle) are connected in their jamaican/hiphop origin, but have a new sound that wasn't there before.

UK Funky and 2step are combining sounds from other cultures (dancehall, house, rnb, dnb) to a new style that wasn't there before...

Breakcore is going so extreme that nobody did get there before... till the coke came in the scene. Now it's for a big part coke (and meth)-heads music.

Coupe decale is rather new in the sense that the west africans who invented it mixed up the caraibian influences with their own highlife and central african zouk/Soukous... Before the age of internet (wich came later in afrika than here) they'll never heard that music so they couldn't get that influences...

But whole new, that doesn't exist. It's new in the perception of those who don''t know the old styles that influenced it, but if you're a music freak like i am, you always see where it's comming from...
Old 25th November 2010
  #28
Lives for gear
 
waxx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOnTheGo View Post
How far back do you trace hiphop and rap?
Till the rubadub of Uroy and King Stitt who who started to rap (then called toasting) on jamaican soundsystems like the one of Sir Coxonne Dodd, the owner of the infamous 'Studio 1' records. They did that over instrumental ska and rhytem & blues tunes to entertain the crowds. That was in the mid 50's that that appeared and in the 1963 the first recording came out called 'Fire Corner' by King Stitt on Studio 1 records, but produced by Peter Tosh and engineered by Osbourne 'King Tubby' Ruddock.

The beats go back to the old blues jazz, mento and calypsoritmes from probally already in the 19th century... But recordings in general only started in the 20's i thought...
Old 25th November 2010
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 View Post
white noise/noise- exactly what it means lol. yes there are some people out there that do this. black dice, lighting bolt kinda but they have some talent.. just using korg pads, distoriton pedals with loads of crappy monitors and speakers busting out peoples ears using anything to make noise with synths and wierd sounds that usually never really connect in anyway. i really have to say this is for a lot of people who don't know how to play music at all but really want to be seen and known for something with out learning how to do anything and on a limited budget.
Noise music has existed since the early 80s - people like Whitehouse and Merzbow. That's about 30 years now. It's certainly not a 21st century thing.

It's also a mistake to assume people that make noise do so cos they can't do anything else. For one thing, a lot of people come to that music via a background in, say, death metal, punk, free jazz or contemporary classical music.

I could list a ton of very talented musicians (on conventional instruments) who happen to also make Noise music. But that would be beside the point: people make extreme or avant garde music simply cos that's the music they want to make. Exactly like every other genre. I dabble in Noise stuff, and I'm not aware of exerting myself any less than when I'm playing the guitar, violin, accordion, piano, mandolin or vocals.
Old 25th November 2010
  #30
In the naughties (2000+)

For about 6 months in the UK A&R mooks were chasing "Romo" bands (A New Romantic revival) it was perhaps one of the most conspicuously ghastly musical sub genres ever.... I got about 3 weeks paid work out of recording one band attempts (paid for by various majors kicking in "demo money")

Ugh!

It was basically all started by one influential rock journalist who decided it should happen.

I one A&R guy i know told me the head of his Dept called him into the office and screamed at him, that all the other scouts had found a Romo band and demanded to know where HIS Romo band was!

A fad to forget!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Greg_KPX / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
11
author / So Much Gear, So Little Time
27
Bob Olhsson / Mastering Forum
46

Forum Jump
Forum Jump