The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mixing with DAW, PLUGINS and OUTBOARD Audio Interfaces
Old 26th May 2010
  #1
Here for the gear
 
tripz's Avatar
 

mixing with DAW, PLUGINS and OUTBOARD

Hi guys! I' ve just bought a really nice compressor in order to use it as an external compressor unit while mixing with my daw (cubase 5). cubase 5 has some useful FX busses so routing in and out the compressor will be simple.

the question is : are there any possible problems in re-pre amping the compressed signal? I have all my pres out linked to the souncards inputs.... so the signal flow will be :

DAW->soundcard out->comp->preamp->soundcard->daw

hope this is clear!

thanks

pat
Old 26th May 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripz View Post
Hi guys! I' ve just bought a really nice compressor in order to use it as an external compressor unit while mixing with my daw (cubase 5). cubase 5 has some useful FX busses so routing in and out the compressor will be simple.

the question is : are there any possible problems in re-pre amping the compressed signal? I have all my pres out linked to the souncards inputs.... so the signal flow will be :

DAW->soundcard out->comp->preamp->soundcard->daw

hope this is clear!

thanks

pat

The signal going back form the compressor will be line level so if you go back through a preamp before your converters make sure this one accept line level.
Old 26th May 2010
  #3
Here for the gear
 
tripz's Avatar
 

yes, I think my pre accepts line levels! I' m quite sure about this... and what about sound definition? is it possible that a re amping involves a loss of frequencies?
Old 26th May 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripz View Post
yes, I think my pre accepts line levels! I' m quite sure about this... and what about sound definition? is it possible that a re amping involves a loss of frequencies?
The only degradation you will get is from the trip via your AD/DA (converters)
Old 26th May 2010
  #5
Here for the gear
 
tripz's Avatar
 

yes, that's inevitable right? I mean, I could use an A/D D/A converter and avoid re-amping, going directly into the digital inputs of the soundcard.... but it's still the same.... in some part of the flow a conversion to digital is taking place...this is what you re talking about right?
Old 26th May 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripz View Post
yes, that's inevitable right? I mean, I could use an A/D D/A converter and avoid re-amping, going directly into the digital inputs of the soundcard.... but it's still the same.... in some part of the flow a conversion to digital is taking place...this is what you re talking about right?
Yes, because the compressor is analog and you are going "outside the box" and back again, conversions are inevitable. But I wouldn't worry too much about that. What is your setup? What compressor, preamps, soundcard?
Old 26th May 2010
  #7
Here for the gear
 
tripz's Avatar
 

the soundcard is an RME hammerfall multiface.... the compressor is a Really Nice Compressor (unbalanced connections only) and the pre is a behringer ULTRAGAIN pro-8 (8 channels pre-AD/DA converter ADAT)....
should I worry about background noise increasing?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
totallybertini / So Much Gear, So Little Time
4
SoZo / So Much Gear, So Little Time
2
T. Gundersen / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
64
Limepit / So Much Gear, So Little Time
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump