The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
using canare quad cable for instrument leads
Old 25th May 2010
Gear Maniac

using canare quad cable for instrument leads

i have L-4E6S and L-2T2S canare cable and some NP2X connectors on hand. What is the best way to make instrument (mainly for high gain guitar to amp) leads and what will the difference be between the above listed leads and gs-6?

will only be for short lengths (15ft at most)
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

If you've already got the cable and connectors, why not just build them and find out?

Learn by doing.
Old 25th May 2010
Gear Maniac

The Monster vs. Coat Hangers thing is only for Speaker cables which will go between your amp and the speaker cabinet. That is true since we are talking about high voltages and VERY low impedance.

With guitars it is the worst case scenario, high impedance and low voltages and longer distances. So they are much more susceptible to capacitance, noise, etc. The lowest capacitance cables aren't the best either since many people prefer a little bit of high-end roll-off. Ie. Hendrix used a coiled cable on purpose, even though the spirals cause inductance which is considered a tone killer... but his tone killed... so....

The Canare microphone cable I found not to be very good for instrument cables. The capacitance is a bit high and there was a lot of handling noise. However as microphone cables, they are awesome!

You are better off getting some Canare GS-6. The connectors are some of the best you can get. But you will be better off going with a dedicated unbalanced instrument cable.

I like Canare the best. But I use a lot of pre-made Pro-Co and Horizon in my studio. Spectraflex, Monster, Planet Waves, Rapco, George-L etc. all get the job done fine. Canare GS-6 is very strong, very well made, has all the buzzwords (oxygen free, double shielded, bla bla), and it is a great balance of clarity with just enough pleasing murkiness. Some other high end cables I find to be too much clarity, and with high gain it just brings out all the harshness and additional fizz.

But that is my opinion, everyone else has theirs too. I have a friend who swears by Evidence cables..have you seen the price of those!?!? I build my own Canare's and 1/5th the price... cheaper than the super cheapies at guitar center.
Old 26th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicola View Post
If you've already got the cable and connectors, why not just build them and find out?

Learn by doing.

Because i am in no rush to build them and would rather not waste any of my time/cable/solder.

i came here to post this topic for a reason ; )

The leads my partner has made up have worked fine (he is currently over seas and rather unreachable), except for the occasional loose connection crackle. I will buy some gs6 in the near future, but i would rather see what i can do with the lead i have on hand first.

do i connect 2 or all 4 wires (blue and white) to the inside and then the shielding to the outside? is there a different way?
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

It will work fine.

The Canare quad cable is just a bit harder to work with.

If it works for a mic cable it will work for a GTR cable.

The concept of the quad cable is the way the conductors are wrapped create a humbucking effect.
This is how Telco and cabling like Cat 5 work.
The twist creates a nulling or humbucking situation.
Old 27th May 2010
Gear Maniac

can someone point me in the way of a visual guide to how is best to make guitar cables with the quadcore cable?

there is the shielding, 2 blues and 2 whites.

kgo haha
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Since a guitar or instrument cable is un-balanced you don't really need to use all four of the white and blue conductors.
Pick either the white or the blue pair.

The shield is soldered to the shield on the 1/4" jack and either the white or blue pairs would be soldered to the tip of the 1/4" jack.
You can just clip off the un-used pair.

The white or blue pair act as a single conductor in this case.
Actually, each pair works as a single conductor in a balanced use, too.
Old 27th May 2010
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by aortizjr View Post
The Canare microphone cable I found not to be very good for instrument cables. The capacitance is a bit high and there was a lot of handling noise. However as microphone cables, they are awesome!
This was exactly what I found. I thought L-4e6s would make an awesome guitar cable... I found out very quickly that I was very wrong.

Got the right cable, all was good with the world.

Then a bunch of different companies started to come out with a plethora of "high tech" / "waka-waka" guitar cables and started to send them to me when I worked in retail... never had to buy or make a cable again!!

Best of luck finding a good one. FWIW, I've found that its no where near as critical as a lot of these "hi-tech cable" manufacturers would have you believe... but as always, YMMV.

Peace.
Old 28th May 2010
Gear Maniac

thanks for the fast replies guys. what is the difference between the two and three prong quarter inch jacks?
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear