The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Compressor pedal with a really fast attack
Old 19th November 2005
Gear Nut

Compressor pedal with a really fast attack

Is there one that you would recommend? I have searched and read posts about a few compressor pedals for guitar, but I want one with a really fast attack.
Old 19th November 2005
Lives for gear

I've never seen a guitar pedal with an attack control.

but i use the barber tone press. it has parallel compression. so you can mix the unaffected tone with the compressed one.

I like this one alot and its cheaper than alot of the other booteek pedals.
Old 19th November 2005
Lives for gear

Analogman Bi-Comp has an attack control...

www.analogman.com
Old 19th November 2005
Gear Maniac

T-Rex Compnova has attack control, and is a great compressonr that doesn't kill your tone.

http://t-rex-engineering.com/default...w=page&id=2344

This company kills. I started with this pedal, just bought a Tremster tremolo, and I am waiting for an overdrive pedal. Great stuff.
Old 19th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDP
Is there one that you would recommend? I have searched and read posts about a few compressor pedals for guitar, but I want one with a really fast attack.
That way, you can kill ALL your transients!
Old 19th November 2005
Lives for gear
The Barber Tone Press is by far the best i've used. It's Class A FEt design so can be fast as you'd want. Also it has a blend knob so you can use it as a parallell compressor (mixing compressed guitar with uncompressed). They make the best stuff.
Old 19th November 2005
Lives for gear

after some snooping around the net, i found that carl martin comp limiter has an attack knob.

i still like my barber though.
Old 19th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby12
Analogman Bi-Comp has an attack control...

www.analogman.com
unfortunately the waiting list is very very very long
Old 19th November 2005
Gear Maniac

Try the EBS compressor pedal. You may like the transparent way it processes your signal.
Old 19th November 2005
500 series nutjob

dj have you compared the carl martin to the barber?
i love my carl martin, how they compare?
Old 20th November 2005
Gear Head

The recently updated Keeley compressor now has an external attack knob. It is a Ross compressor clone that sounds very good. Along with the Analogman Bi-comp, you can't go wrong. Joe Focarile
Old 20th November 2005
Gear Nut

I'll second the Keeley comp. I don't have the new one with the attack control but never really thought about it. Sounds great as is.
Old 20th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
dj have you compared the carl martin to the barber? i love my carl martin, how they compare?
i didn't compare them i just saw that the carl martin had a attack knob so i just wanted to post it.

I would love to try it though. carl martin has been around a long time and i've heard they're total professional units. unfortunately it goes for $200. its out of my price range. the barber is $130 but sound much more expensive.

to me the blend knob is the most important feature. this way i have absolute control over the compressor mixed with the original tone.

also if you put the blend knob on "0" it bypasses the compressor and you can have it as a "clean" boost using the volume.

but if i had the cash i would love to have all the comps listed here.
Old 20th November 2005
Lives for gear

The Keeley compresssor is great, closest thing to a MXR script yet. The Bi-Comp is good, but not as good as the Keeley.

Side Note: Nothing else Keeley makes has impressed me.
Old 20th November 2005
500 series nutjob

thanks dj
Old 20th November 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
Side Note: Nothing else Keeley makes has impressed me.
Not sure what you've tried but two other pedals I get a lot of use from are his java boost and katana clean boost. Worth checking out if you haven't already.
Old 21st November 2005
Gear Addict

A friend of mine just got the Keeley, and I checked it out pretty quickly and it really sounds great. I've been using the Carl Martin for the last 2-3 years and it's very good but not a huge amount of character. As a matter of fact, a few weeks ago I compared my Dynacomp (vintage, block lettering), Boss CS-2 (MIJ, 3 knob) and Carl Martin. The Boss has been in my pedal board since then. Still want to check out Keeley some more though.

-Mike
Old 21st November 2005
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=djthe barber is $130 but sound much more expensive.

to me the blend knob is the most important feature. this way i have absolute control over the compressor mixed with the original tone.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's just me. I've never gotten found a blend setting that gave me the smooth transition from attack to comp that I was hoping for. Aside from that, the comp itself is pretty damn good. I've been A/B ing it wit the Aphex Punch Factory, which is about the coolest thing I've heard in quite some time. Doesn't have an attack knob though, and I'd say it's deliberately slow, so no use to the guy that wanted fast.
Old 28th November 2005
Here for the gear

fast attack compressor

Hello !
- It's not easy to have that "efficiently": the Boss CS-2 pedal have an "attack" button, but a look into the schematics shows that is a "clown" of the original Ross/MXR DynaComp with this additional trim: but the attack time affect ALSO the internal release time so it can add "envelop distorsion" at low-end guitar notes when you set this setting in "fast" position ! (It seems it's the same in AnalogMan MiniBiComp... TBD). I have an 1978's DynaComp MXR (that I love) but the attack would be too slow for you.
- You could try the Electro-Harmonix's BlackFinger compressor ORIGINAL version (with solid state components, NOT the "Optical/Tube" one): it has a very fast attack ! -too too much for me- it does NOT colorate the sound at all, and it should be not very rackmount standard "studio" compressor (like DBX or others) wich have ALL some ultra-fast & trimmable Attack time: but check if like this kind of transparency of sound.
Old 28th November 2005
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamike
A friend of mine just got the Keeley, and I checked it out pretty quickly and it really sounds great. I've been using the Carl Martin for the last 2-3 years and it's very good but not a huge amount of character. As a matter of fact, a few weeks ago I compared my Dynacomp (vintage, block lettering), Boss CS-2 (MIJ, 3 knob) and Carl Martin. The Boss has been in my pedal board since then. Still want to check out Keeley some more though.

-Mike
the thing i like about the Carl Martin is it lack of character.
Old 28th November 2005
Lives for gear

THe TEESE FK-1, like the KEELEY, is based on the old ROSS comp, but half the price. You heard of Teese wah pedals, you know the FK-1 is great, too. If you want a more Cobain sound, chorusing using delay time, then find an old Stone clone or buy the Analogman BI comp....... over and out
Old 28th November 2005
Gear Addict

The t.c. Sustain has a very fast attack. It only has one adj. which is the Sustain knob and boy does it sustain

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search