The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Computer speakers as reference monitors?
Old 14th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Computer speakers as reference monitors?

I'm using Yamaha HS-80m's as my main monitors. Can anyone recommend a good pair of regular computer speakers to use as reference against the Yamaha's?
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

the best I know :: the original Apple powered ---little pricey now that they are sought after as reference back at Bobs' little spot in Maine
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

I mix off A7's but I always check my mixes on the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 computer speakers. They have a subwoofer and two small speakers for about $150. The sound great and you can adjust the woofer level as well. You can get them at any best buy.

I also play my mixes through my Apple Cinema Display speakers to get another perspective on speakers that have no low end.
Old 14th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II

I heard them for the first time in a french mastering studio, you can see them on this pic :
studio de Mastering, mastering audio, remastering, Globe audio mastering

I was conviced and bought a new pair for 80€.
They are my 2nd monitor's pair after my Focal.
Old 14th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the recommendations so far. I know room treatment is a major factor too but
I just took my first mix (which sounds good on the monitors) out to my car and it sounded like ass...
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roderick View Post
Thanks for the recommendations so far. I know room treatment is a major factor too but
I just took my first mix (which sounds good on the monitors) out to my car and it sounded like ass...
I don't know what you're mixing through, but I have mine setup with a passive speaker switcher made by Goldpoint. It only has two channels, but I have my Klipsch on one channel and my A7's going through the other. I literally flip back and forth between the two when I'm mixing to make sure I'm hitting the overall spectrum of the mix (not to bright, not much sub, etc)...
Old 14th May 2010
Gear Maniac

I just have an Apogee Duet so I only got 2 outs. Using the iMac i7 so I just wanted to plug in some computer speakers in the back to reference against the HS80m's.
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

i just use cheesy harmon kardon powered speakers with a port with volume and tone controls
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post
What drug did you use to rape that 15 year old girl in your studio, Mike?
Hahaha WHAT? What an epic first post!

I've got some GE speakers that couldn't have cost more than $10. They look like something you can get at radioshack for real cheap. They just kinda turned up here one day. They sound absolutely AWFUL. Don't waste money on anything decent at all, you already have monitors for that! Get something that will act as a "worst case scenario" for the listener. View it as, if the snare cuts on these speakers, it will cut on ANYTHING.
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
WTF?!?!?!?!?!
Old 14th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasso View Post
WTF?!?!?!?!?!
+1!
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedrummer View Post
Hahaha WHAT? What an epic first post!

I've got some GE speakers that couldn't have cost more than $10. They look like something you can get at radioshack for real cheap. They just kinda turned up here one day. They sound absolutely AWFUL. Don't waste money on anything decent at all, you already have monitors for that! Get something that will act as a "worst case scenario" for the listener. View it as, if the snare cuts on these speakers, it will cut on ANYTHING.

I find the below setup to work just excellent, I like what you said about "worst case scenario" I did the last 10% of the mix on these with some really good reference tracks and worked better than ever,

My speakers: Krk VXT6 and Creative gigaworks t40, also Beyerdynamic Dt770 and I don't think I'll need more for now, I was looking at Avantone pair, but after this method I'm going to look at treatment.
Attached Thumbnails
Computer speakers as reference monitors?-img00298-20120704-1145.jpg  
Old 4th July 2012
Quote:
I think it was WhatheFuccermycerin,with a dash of Quetiapine.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search