The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Analog Spring Reverb - Vanamps, Demeter, Vermona, recommendations and thoughts?
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Addict

Analog Spring Reverb - Vanamps, Demeter, Vermona, recommendations and thoughts?

So I'm looking for an analog reverb pedal/effects unit. Unfortunately I've only been able to track down three. Two of them are the Demeter Reverbulator and the Vanamps Sole-Mate which are geared towards guitars. And then there is the ReTubeVerb from the German company Vermona that is about to come out with a new edition of that unit.

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with any of these reverb units?

And my bigger question is this - can I use the Demeter reverb unit and the Vanamps reverb unit (which are both geared towards guitar) with synthesizers and drum synths? And could I use the vermona retubeverb (that's more geared towards use with synths), with guitars?

The thing is I both play guitar and utilize synthesizer keyboards/drum machines, etc, and I'd rather find a analog reverb that can work with both guitar and synths so I can spend less.

Anybody familiar with or use any of these reverbs?
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear
I haven't worked with any of those, sorry. I have worked with:

Peavey Valverb: great sounding unit, more EQ than almost anything with tubes and springs, works well for both guitar and line level sources and has tremelo thrown in. WEll worth it if you can find one.

Roland RE501: the tape delay with built in reverb and chorus. Killer unit for guitars, synths, vocals, you name it. Don't like the built in mic pre, but run anything thru the line in and it rocks. Has EQ on the effected tone, just two band. These things are getting pricey, though...

Fender outboard reverb: tube buffered (obviously) so they work fine with guitars and line level signals. Replacement 6K6s warm it up a little (instead of the 6V6). Fairly cheap and easily serviced.

Little Lanilei reverb pedal: well, it's small, which is cool. Solid state, works with guitar and line level signals but it's kind of whimpy in terms of the effect: a little space but no "sproing".

I've also owned solid state, rackmount reverbs by: DOD, Thompson (the vocal eliminator guys-never found any info on it and it's noisy as heck for the delay, OK for the reverb) and others. Found a killer unit that was intended as a rackmount for high end PA systems with multiple springs, sorta like the ADK? unit but in a smaller box. I loves me some real spring reverb.

Still, if I had to buy one, it'd be the Peavey.
Old 10th February 2013
Here for the gear

I have the vanamps sole-mate, I run most of my gear through it while recording with great results, it makes my Moog Opus 3 come alive, as well as my Rhodes. Been sending kick drum tracks through it to get a great dub sound. I highly recommend it!
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'd add AKG BX range. The smaller ones are more spring-like sounding (BX5), the bigger ones are more "plate-like". Big ,smooth, liquid. Great stuff, work on guitars, vocals, strings, synths, drums... It's not as heavily colored as re501, but it is still very colored reverb.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Have the Vanamps and Demeter. Both excellent. Each one different and unique enough to warrant keeping both. The Vanamps is a bit more raw, vintage sounding, earthy, very believable vintage amp reverb sound. The Demeter is a bit more "hi-fi" if that makes any sense, perhaps a bit more freq response. If I could only choose one, I'd choose both. . You'll be happy with either. Or just get both. Demeter also makes an outboard 1U rack spring reverb.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

akg bx series are awesome.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

anything Zerotronics.

Ralph is a great guy, and all his products are cool.

recommended.
Old 11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

I've been using the lowly Danelectro Spring King with my live keyboard rig (Nord Electro & random synth assortment). It's not exactly lush, but enough to give the sound some body & space - and they cost next to nothing.

Oddly enough, my fave spring reverb is built into an oldish little Shure SR101 mixer . I lugged the damn thing to another city on a bus just to get it used on a snare in one dub-worthy session

Old 11th February 2013
Gear Head

ive got a demeter rv1 single rack. great unit. i write only using synth and i really like how it sounds when u apply just a little bit of it on synth, quite billy jean sounding

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search