The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RE20 repair help.
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Addict

RE20 repair help.

My newish RE20 just stopped passing a signal...no drops or anything strange. I have the feeling it is something minor, like a loose connection, because when I plug it in and shake it a little, it does make some noise (I'm hoping at least that's a good thing???).

I got a reply from an EV repair place, which charges a $200 flat rate...I'll pay it if is my only option, but I was wondering if any of you have a recommendation for a repair place or person that may do a good job for a cheaper price.

Thanks
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Guru

if you think it's something simple, try fixing it yourself? when I took mine apart I think I needed various allen wrenches, one of which was very very tiny (you can order them from the EV repair people) to get the top off. the bottom xlr part I think you can get into with a medium sized allen wrench
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

"My newish RE20"

Is it under warranty?
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy View Post
"My newish RE20"

Is it under warranty?
No. I bought it used.

I have considered trying to fix it, but have read about the complexities of taking it apart...I've fixed/built guitar pedals, but this is new to me.
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Well, you can attempt to fix it yourself and if you fail worse case scenario is the $200 flat rate
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy View Post
Well, you can attempt to fix it yourself and if you fail worse case scenario is the $200 flat rate
That has now become my plan.
Old 11th May 2010
Gear Nut

OK - I wish someone would sticky this cuz I have posted this a half dozen times on varioous boards. You need either a .028 or .035" allen wrench (or do what I did and slowly file down an eyeglass screwdriver). Then Follow my pics here...

If there is some noise when you shake it, may have a loose wire, but everything fits pretty tight in there. I recommend getting new windscreens and do them at the same time, you may be able to get Telex to send you for free, at the most they are a couple dollars...

Good Luck!
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Not a bad tutorial,

The exact dimension of hex driver is 0.035"

and the rear hex behind the xlr is 9/64

Also, the way I do it is to put the foam 'windscreen' in and form it to the inner part of the case, and then shimmy the element inside.

This way you get a true cardioid coloration, with a null at the rear.

If the foam is bunched or pinched or not set right, the off axis response will not be right.

Also, replace the hydrophobic cloth on front of the element resonator 78230

There is a $25 minimum when ordering parts from Bosch
Old 12th May 2010
500 series nutjob

the new owners of Electro Voice, just are not get pan60's love!
customer service should be first and foremost, to place a flat $200.00 repair tag on someone that have not even looked at is BS ( IMHV ).

as most know, i have always been a very big fan of EV, but that is changing.

for me to love a company and its products, i need
1 customer service above all else!
2 build quality
3 sound

it dose not mater how good something sounds if their is no customer service or the quality isn't their!

hope you get the mic working.
Old 13th May 2010
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=chout;5389564

I got a reply from an EV repair place, which charges a $200 flat rate...

Thanks [/QUOTE]

Is it actually EV repair? or a 3rd party repair center? If it's 3rd party I'd call EV direct.
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear

I had one rebuilt late last year... it is a $200 flat fee but that covers everything. GREAT deal for me as I got the mic FREE but it didn't work, the case was broken and the foam had turned to dust... got a fully functional rebuilt one with a new case from EV and couldn't be happier with it.

Good luck with yours - they are great mics
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, all EV repair stories are not so happy [edit: but read below - EV did rectify the situation.]

I sent in a pair of RE-15's to get re-foamed and brought back to spec. One was exhibithing some problems with the HPF - now both are. Here's the letter I'm sending EV along with the mics for an RMA so they can repair what should have been taken care of the first time:

"After sending these mics for repairs, I received them back and they still have problems. I do not understand how the mics could have left the factory with these issues after having been 'brought back to spec' as I was told they would be.

One mic came back with an internal short. This 'oversight' blew 3 chips in my preamps and cost me $20 to replace the chips. I fixed that personally and the internal mic wires have been twisted and shrink-wrapped.

Both mics still exhibit problems with the high pass filter. There is no noticeable frequency response change when the filter is engaged. Therefore it is not working. Also, when the filter is engaged there is a noticeable change in the mics output – it is greater by about 12 dB or so. This does not make sense because the low frequency supposedly has been cut by the filter.

Again there was no testing to see if the mics are working properly (including the HPF) before they were shipped back to me. They are obviously not 'in spec'. Please take the time to repair the problems and quality check the mics before sending them back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by packagebear
Is it actually EV repair?
It's Bosch Communications Systems who bought EV/Telex. The E-V repair dept seems to be in a slow state of decay. I contacted one of the local E-V Factory Authorized Service Centers who told me they've had a difficult time getting parts and some of their old contacts have been moved to different positions within the company. When I contacted E-V directly, they told me that they were the only Authorized Repair Facility and were not aware of any others.

Here's the link for the repair form:

http://www.telex.com/UserFiles/File/RepairInfoForm.pdf

Update 19 July, 2010:

I just got a call from the tech at Bosch/Telex/EV regarding my RE-15's. Apparently he had been out of the office for a month (his wife had a baby) and he was very appologetic that the mics were sent back in the shape they were. He replaced one of the switches and both inductors for the high-pass filters and they have both been tested and are working as they should. I should be getting them back in about a week. And he was kind enough to throw in something for my time and frustration. I'm personally glad to know that the right man is back on the job. Accept no substitute!

Update 21 July, 2010:

Mics arrived. HPF problems have been corrected. They were overnighted, that's why they arrived so quickly. Got a couple of very nice customer service calls to see if the mics had arrived safely. Even one after I'd mentioned I hadn't checked my mail because I wasn't expecting them so soon. Some of these people have been with the company a very long time and really do want to make sure their customers are happy. They threw in some extra goodies as I mentioned above and it was obvious they are trying very hard to make sure I'm a satisified customer. I really don't know what more they could have done to rectify the situation.
Old 4th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the info in this thread. I just re-foamed, Cleaned and repaired my RE20. I especially found Boston bassists photos useful.

Andy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search