The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Benefits to Monitors? Audio Interfaces
Old 10th May 2010
Here for the gear

Benefits to Monitors?

Hey guys Hows everyone doing - I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if there would be any big benefits to an upgrade I'm considering...

Right now I'm using a Logitech G51 speaker setup, Great for gaming, Decent for listening/making music, My question is - Would I greatly benefit from the upgrade to 2 Mackie HR824 Mk2's? or would the money spent not really be that beneficial? Buddy of mine is a producer as well and he says the speakers I use are fine, He thinks the upgrade wouldn't be worth it?

I read up and I found out the Mackies have a range of 35Hz to 20kHz and my Logitechs are 37Hz to 20kHz... Is there not much of a difference between this or does it really depend on "How" The speakers Use the range?

Thanks for any responses I appreciate it!
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Maniac

First...your buddy is not a producer,but more likely enthusiastic kid with no technical clue at all.

Back to topic...if you really wish to achieve serious results,changing from Logitechs to the Mackies is essential.
HR824's(or other monitors),although in the low mid class,are professional monitor speakers,while Logitechs are DVD/gaming ones.
In the end it's all up to you...if you're making music just for fun at home,than maybe it's not worth to invest in pro speakers...but if you have greater ambitions-go for it.

Wish you success!

Cheers!
Old 10th May 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for responding Morlock, So the Mackies I'm interested are only low-mid range monitors? Thought they were pretty top notch, I guess I'm misinformed, Would you be able to recommend monitors to me? I guess I'm looking around the $1k-$1.5k range for 2 monitors.

I've read reviews on the Mackie HR824Mk2's, Krk Rockits, I think another brand Alesis? I've read reviews on a few anyway, I guess I'm gonna need to start looking around more. My brother in law suggested Cerwin Vegas? Are these any decent for production?

Thanks again!
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

For your budget there are a lot of speakers which could work for you for a long time. i'm not sure what all fits in your budget but I know my first set of speakers was around 1k and they've done the job for me.

all designs are different but they're all a lot more honest sounding than consumer gaming or music speakers for the most part.

Cerwin Vega is a consumer speaker that probably sounds nice but the goal in monitoring is a clear picture of what's really going on, as much as possible so you know what and why you need to eq... when you get a good set of speakers that you become familiar with it's a very fun thing.

I've used JBL, Genlec, Roland, Yamaha, Tannoy's, Dynaudio etc... They're all better than what you have at the moment but some companies have pairs of monitors in your range. Some are easier to listen to over long periods, some are more honest or more hyped but they're all nice. Once you get used to them they become easy to work with.
Old 10th May 2010
Here for the gear

Cool thanks for responding Lord_Bunny, Are there any brands for specific types of music? I see a lot of hip-hop producers that use KRK's and Mackies, I just kinda assumed they were an idea as to what to look for.

I live pretty close to Montreal, So maybe going downtown to Steves music store would be a good bet to maybe hear some monitor's they have, I bought an M-Audio Axiom 61Key midi Keyboard there in December and I noticed they've got a little display of monitor's, I gotta go check them out! :P

Another question while I'm here - For hooking them up... What's the best way to go? My friend was suggesting connecting them to my sound card via an adapter stereo to mini-stereo?

this is what he said..

"Monitors to > Amp to > Y splitter ( 2 females Black & Red ) to male mini-stereo to > Soundcard Line in"

Now my question is - Would this weaken the sound quality or is this actually a good way to go?

I also need to buy a fast track, I had ordered a fast track II last week on Ebay but apparently the guy wasn't able to get the fast track, I guess he was a dropshipper with an out of stock supplier :P I got refunded so I'm gonna look for another one soon, Is a fast track II good enough for monitors? I've also got plans to buy a new mic. An Audio Technica AT2050 next month so I need phantom power to use it.

Thanks again guys, I'm sorry if I'm asking so many questions so soon :P
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPioneer View Post
So the Mackies I'm interested are only low-mid range monitors?
Ouch...don't get me wrong! When I said low-mid range,I just meant compared to really high-end systems used in bigger commercial facilities.I like the HR824's(although I've heard only the original ones,not the mkII's) and I think they'll serve you well.There's a great variety of offers in that price range,and it'll be best if you try few systems and see which you like most.But if I assume right,you're producing beat-based stuff...and if that's the case you won't go wrong with the Mackies.
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPioneer View Post

this is what he said..

"Monitors to > Amp to > Y splitter ( 2 females Black & Red ) to male mini-stereo to > Soundcard Line in"
Wowowoowait....."monitors" and "line in" do not belong together.
Stop listening to that friend of yours(at least in terms of audio advices) and read some basic stuff regarding connections and so...
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

"what other hip hop producers have / use / do" is usually only useful as a "what not to do" kinda thing... I say this with love.

If you want my advice, it is this:

#1) DO NOT spend $1500 on monitors to run them through a ****ty soundcard in an untreated room.

#2) DO NOT buy a fast track

#3) DO buy a decent interface in the $500+ range... the apogee duet comes to mind but I don't know if you're on mac or PC

#4) DO spend about $500-$700 on a pair of USED monitors (stay away from KRKs, except the VXT series, the mackie's are great for what you need, but buy a used pair of the v1's on ebay for wayyyy cheaper)

#5) DO read ethan winer's website and DO spend $400ish to follow his basic advice: Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms

#6) DO NOT listen to your friend anymore

#7) DO learn the actual definition of the word "producer" - I hate its misuse, even though I am guilty of it too...

Good luck!
Old 11th May 2010
Here for the gear

Alright to just clarify quickly I'm using this PC-

Intel I7 920 Quadcore runs at 2.6Ghz, 9Gbs DDR3 ram, PCI-E Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty edition(just bought this last week) 1TB HD and I don't think the video card really matters but it's an ATI 4870x2

Software I use is FL studio 9, Plugins I've got are sample tank 2.5, Nexus with expansions, Tons of drums, Philharmonik miroslav, Purity, Sonik Synth 2, Minimonsta, I also use T-Racks 3 deluxe for mastering.

I also use an M-Audio Axiom 61 key keyboard, Pretty sure I've said that already though :P

I've only been making music for about a year so I'm not exactly "great" at it yet but I'm getting there, There's always room to improve!

So I should stay away from the fast track and just buy a much better interface, Seems pretty pricey but I'm willing to spend money, This is what I want to do with my life and there's no messing around. I'm not saying I want to go all out to start but I definitely want to get some mid range gear at least. I think I've already got some decent low end stuff so might as well get better.

As for the acoustic treatment I'll be able to do that pretty efficiently, My dad is a wood worker so he's great with building stuff.

My room is about 10.5 by 19.5 aprox... It's pretty much a rectangle, I've got my desk 2 feet away from my back wall as I've been told it helps with the bass response?

So as for the monitor's I should go ahead and try and find some used mackies or something along those lines? I figure $500-800 range used would be good for x2 monitors?

Another great question I know I need to ask -

Is going to an audio engineer school worth the money? I'm able to go to RAC(Recording Arts Canada) Downtown Montreal, However I find the price really expensive, Not sure if spending the 15k would really be worth it, I'm sure I'd learn a lot but maybe I'm just stubborn and want to learn it on my own and save money, That 15k could go towards a hell of a decent studio.

Thanks again guys. Take it easy!
Old 24th May 2010
Here for the gear

thought I'd bump this instead of just making a new thread, I hope that's alright?

I found some speakers in the garbage recently, 2 Cerwin Vega and 2 others unknown, I saw on the back it says Nikko Audio... Also says NS-600T.. Are these Yamaha's or maybe they're not... I assumed they were cause of the NS-### But I'm really no pro :P

I had to re-size the image hope it's not too big anymore.

If anyone has any opinions on these I'd greatly appreciate it, If I bought new speakers/subs etc for them do you guys think they'd be worth the investment instead of mackies? Also what kind of amp would I need to buy?

Thanks and take care folks!
Old 24th May 2010
Gear Addict

Not appropraite for mixing at all. Maybe as your 4th pair to check a mix for the odd person stuck living in the past.
Old 24th May 2010
Gear Nut

the mackies are a little too bassy for my taste, not quiete "real" the mkI's are good but not the mkII's check out adam, or dynaudio, they have some nice stuff around your price range, also as far as an interface i would go with a fast track ultra, it will be more than good for what you use it, if you wanna get someting more on the "pro" side...apogee, motu, or aurora are great, but with the aurora you will need external preamps.

also think of what software you will be using in the future, Pro Tools is propietary wich means it will only work with its own inteface (at least LE) everything else you can use whatever interface you want.

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mojave Ma200-ISA110-EL8=sweetnessss!!!
Old 24th May 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for the help, I was looking on ebay and saw this -

Digidesign Eleven Rack Interface + BX5a Studio Monitors on eBay.ca (item 390198198969 end time 18-Jun-10 09:36:02 EDT)

Is this a good deal?

I also play guitar as well as make instrumentals, I'd also eventually love to get into game/movie audio production... Like I said eventually, Maybe that's only in years to come... As for now I just want to get at least a mid-range studio for now, It would be nice to upgrade from what I currently have. I'd just like suggestions on what to look for, I think my ideal budget would be around 3-5k to get a nice setup.

Tomorrow is a holiday but sometime this week I think I'm going to go downtown to try out some monitor's to get a good feel of them, I'm the type to like to try before I buy... One of the downsides of ebay =/

Take it easy guys and thanks very much =)
Old 24th May 2010

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search