The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The room the whole room & nothing but the room, modern drum ambience
Old 13th June 2003
The room the whole room & nothing but the room, modern drum ambience

OK feel free to use this as a general drum room mic & treatment thread.

I am trying to find a way to sell off some gear to raise cash for my new extension and trim down to a basic set up (I am expanding)

So

I have

3 x Distressors
1 x STC-8 stereo compressor (Keep!)
1 x SSL stereo compressor (Keep!)
1 x Joe Meek SC3 (Like SC2 but with digital i/o as extra)
1 x SPL Transvestite Designer

Random thoughts & philosophies:

1) Only weird people like Joe Meek compressors Joe Meek gear needs to spend 360 days a year away in storage, minimum.

2) There is justification for a 3rd Distressor on drum tracking, two belong on "room". Only college kids believe a Distressor on every close mic, is a good thing..

3) How is my old "Nuke Em" far drum room Distressor crushing technique going to go with using my new SPL Transvestite Designer on OH, Kick & Snare?

4) I should probably sell the Joe Meek and 1 Distressor

5) What to do gear guru's?

Old 13th June 2003
One with big hooves

I always liked the Distressor on snare. I'd probably keep the 3rd one, even if it makes it's way onto bass or something. Then again I just cut drums for a 5 song EP with no compression on the room mics. I'll probably squeeze 'em a bit during the mix but the pair of Baby Bottles sounded just great as-is. But, on the previous project I killed the room mics at 6:1 or 8:1 with an RNC. Go figure. Either way I'd probably launch the Meek unless you can't get enough for it.
Old 13th June 2003
Lives for gear

Re: The room the whole room & nothing but the room, modern drum ambience

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
1) Only weird people like Joe Meek compressors Joe Meek gear needs to spend 360 days a year away in storage, minimum.
... I allways new I was weird! Considering I like the 160x as well, I must be totally screwed!... heh heh heh
Old 14th June 2003
Gear Addict

I agree about less compression on drums. I have been tracking my band (with me on drums) and some others lately and I really am enjoying letting more of the room come through. I track in my living room, but with hardwood floors and luck I guess, I am getting some great sounding tracks. Natural sounding, but phat.

I am using a variation of Fletchers 3 drum mic technique. No mics on toms. Double micing kick with an LD out front. LD's for overheads too. Not that you care. . . sorry.

Beez

I
Old 14th June 2003
Lives for gear

i really dig the spl transvetite heh
i was always to scared or didnt have one at hand during recording . i am probably wrong but i guess its more of a mix tool .
if i would record it than just as an add on track via a split on the desired instruments .
in fact of outboard comps i cant really use mine , too ., during tracking . the low freq needs to be cutted inmho before compression other wise the important frequencies wont get touched ... just what my stupid ears hear . i dont have no outboard cut filters , so i do that with the computer and add my comps after recording .
i love compressed rooms and i love the usual one . if the music is mellow , not much compression required ... maybe as an effect ?

and of course the best thing you can have is a nice sounding room , mine is small . but i guess every time you hear something you dont have you go ... WOW ... wanna have that , too ... hehe
and of course a good drum set with nice heads and cymbals ...

then the only thing thats left ... is someone who can play it .

i love o´briens treatments on rock music

Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up View Post

then the only thing thats left ... is someone who can play it .

That´s the hardest part of it , for sure !heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search