The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Focal cms 65 - power supply humming?
Old 20th July 2011
Gear Head

Hi!

Just want to confirm the humbug, I bought mine some months ago and from 3 pairs of CMS65 I chose the two speakers that didn't hum as much as the others. Recently I installed them in my new room and noticed that I've got one speaker with steps in the volumepot and one without. Also, I don't get much of a volume, when volumeknob is halfway on to maximum one can still have a normal conversation in the room?

/M.
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

Mine do this too - I use balanced XLR cables so it isn't ground loop. What have you decided to do about it? Anything?
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Head

Seems like the humming is the norm, after reading so much about it.
I will do some more listening while trying to decide if the hi-fi is worth the transformerbuzz. I will not ask my dealer to get me another pair of CMS65 (or any Focal) since I have never experienced one CMS65 without the transformernoise (and I've tried out six monitors). Don't know what the alternative to CMS65 in that pricerange might be? Next to my Focals I have a pair of Genelec 8020, very nice but a bit boxysounding and too small, but without any hum. Maybe a pair of 8040 would be the ticket for me.
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyapa View Post
Don't know what the alternative to CMS65 in that pricerange might be?
Acoustic Energy AE22's!

british hifi Pro AE22 active loudspeaker manufacturer : acoustic energy

Different sounding monitors but superb for mixing!
Old 21st July 2011
I just ordered the CMS 65 and I will get them in few weeks from now. I hope I made the right decision. Anyone here connecting them to Digi 02-03 Rack having the same problem?
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Head

The hum is located to the transformers, they will (the ones that hum) hum without any signal cable connected only power. So, has nothing to do with what interface you use. Let us know how they perform once you've got them.
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

The hum is down to incorrect mounting of the transformer. The speaker needs to be sent away to be mounted correctly
Old 21st July 2011
I will let you know definitely I can’t wait!
I read in manual that they do have to run for about 20 hours. Do you know if that must be 20 hours of continuous programs or just a total of 20 hours? How do they translate to other systems? I will be using them most of the times for dance mixes.

Thank you guys,
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear
I had a set of CMS 50's for a couple of weeks but did not have any huming at all, and andertons.co.uk where I got them from have sold quite a few units and have not had any reports of problems with the huming from any of the CMS series from Focal.

Are the new huming reports coming from people who got their CMS recently or quite a while ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razik View Post
I will let you know definitely I can’t wait!
I read in manual that they do have to run for about 20 hours. Do you know if that must be 20 hours of continuous programs or just a total of 20 hours? How do they translate to other systems? I will be using them most of the times for dance mixes.

Thank you guys,
The Focal CMS need allot of burn in time, ideally more then 20 hours, at minimum 35 hours. At first for me the CMS 50's where quite distorted, very tight and boxy, but as the hours went by the distortion went away, the bottom end opened up and generally they opened up allot as the hours went by. They will keep sounding better and better, but give them 2 weeks before fully judging their sound.

Also avoid pumping the output to loud at first, play them at quite low volumes with some bass heavy music, leave them running for a good few hours at lower volumes so they can burn in properly and don't start to push them more untill after 20/35 hours play time at lower volumes. (This is continuous play time also)

For me the CMS 50's where not enough for bass heavy electronic music, not enough low end and was to flat for my liking, but they seemed great to mix on, but traded them in for A7x's which so far are perfect for me. But I know if I had the money and got the CMS 65's instead of the 50's I would very likely still have the 65's.

They will be great for you to mix on and should translate very well.

One thing you will notice straight away is the build quality, which can't really be better, they are built like little tanks and very well designed.
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Nut

Maybe this explains why several retailers have listed them as 'backordered' for the last month or two. Hopefully they are being redesigned.
Old 21st July 2011
Jomox Thank you so much.
Old 22nd July 2011
Could that be a voltage thing? I believe that in Europe the voltage ranges between 220 to 240 volts 50 Hz whereas in the US is 120 volts 60 Hz. Anyone have recently bought the CMS 65 in the US having the same problem? Thank you,

Razik's Mastering
Old 17th August 2011
I Just received mines today no noise, humming or whatsoever.

Razik's Mastering
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by needs more 7s View Post
Maybe this explains why several retailers have listed them as 'backordered' for the last month or two. Hopefully they are being redesigned.
Interesting, which retailers? Is it only a CMS/CMS65 issue? I'm looking into getting mine sorted.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search