The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Classic VP26 Microphone Preamplifier 500 Series Preamps
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Addict

Classic VP26 Microphone Preamplifier

Any more user updates on this?
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Addict

There great! I've built 6 of his kits, 4 VP25's and 2 VP26's. They have the mid range crunch that you want from an API based pre. I'm using mine for toms and gtrs and have been very happy with the results.

Check out the other thread I started on them. There is one in "High end" and one in "So little time"

Patrick
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Well, they sound amazing. Don't buy one because you will want more then one for sure. Better get a few. I have 6 in the studio now and wish I had more. (VP26's)

I'll be trying out the 312's next week.
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

in a blind test up against a 512c. we chose the vp26 over the api for guitar tracks.. i actually ended up selling the pair of 512c and plan on getting more of these. the vp26 just sounds sweet!

don't let the price tag fool you. it doesn't sound cheap at all.
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Guru

The VP's are lovely, if you compare to typical 312/512 they're mellower and sweeter up top.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Maniac

+1 on VP.
I own a VP26 and a VP25 they are very good to me.

The assembly guide is like a baby sitter, nothing can happend to you with it.

I'm now looking to build more with few different Trans/OpAmp.
In my VP25 I use a 2503 and 2520 from a 325 API card, amazing :-)

A really good price/quality preamp.

PY
Old 6th May 2010
Gear addict

I love their preamps, and the assembly guide is so thorough it's nearly ridiculous. If you need preamps, you're silly not to keep them in mind. SILLY, I tell you.
Old 6th May 2010
Gear Maniac

two vp25, two vp26 and three 312 here, they are just amazing, our lunchbox is full, we want another one!!

-Benoit
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

Classic API 500 series custom shop parts

I've used Classic Audio Products of Illinois (Classic API) 500 module parts to build all sorts of custom 500 modules ranging from power attenuators to direct boxes to isolation and step up transformers.

Jeff, the owner of the company is nice and willing to share his knowledge and love of vintage API hardware, shipping is very prompt and well packed, the quality of his products is totally professional. Possibly one of the best things is, his prices are very reasonable.

The Classic API VP mic preamps are very easy to mod and experiment with replacement op amps, I'm currently experimenting with a custom wound high nickel output transformer with no output attenuator. If you like sweet high frequency this is the one. When combined with an SL2520 red dot op amp it is killing my API 3124.

Check them out!

Old 7th May 2010
500 series nutjob

they are very nice!!!!
get a very big thumbs up here!
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

+ many more

I can say enough good things about these preamps..

I've wanted to post a sample for a while, here is a little raw clip of some basics, 57's on snare top and bottom thru VP26's with melcor opamps, draw your own conclusions, IMO, the depth is incredible.

Attached Files
File Type: aif gs MFT Clip VP26.aif (3.61 MB, 1044 views)
Old 28th July 2010
Gear Addict

For those that have tried all 3, the VP25, VP26, and 312, how would you describe the differences in sound between them?
Old 28th July 2010
Lives for gear

we have 4 VP 26's here and they are great.

better than the api 3124 i used to have............

probably the best bang for your buck pre amp out there today.
Old 28th July 2010
Lives for gear

Hot off the workbench!! I haven't had a chance to record much through it yet. Initial impressions- sounds like a bigger bottom compared to 512c.

I'll echo what someone else said about fast shipping, well packed, and great help from Jeff.

I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces in the coming weeks.

Nice drums, noiseflower.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic VP26 Microphone Preamplifier-p1020408.jpg  
Old 28th July 2010
Lives for gear
Let's do a shootout!

There is always tons of interest in and debate about api pres/clones, variations/rethinks, etc. I would love it if some well-connected slutz would finally do a shoot-out

C'Mon let's put together a GS API SHOOTOUT

Off the top of my head... any others?
Old 29th July 2010
Gear Guru

the VP and Eisen[Love the DI] are the closest I've heard to an original vintage 312.
they have that classic API sound.tight focused punchy warm..blah blah..
slightly smoother more compressed up top than the modern versions.
seriously,wish i could swap about 10 into my 1608
Killer price
grab a rack of those and some Avedis MA5's,maybe a couple Helios type 69 500's and you've got it covered.
Old 29th July 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds real!!! Great playing, what snare is it?
Old 23rd October 2010
Lives for gear

So if I was going to buy enough to do a full drum kit and wanted a "Vintage" API sound...........

Which variant would you buy? The VP25, VP26, or the VP312

Which op amp? Blue, Red or Gar?
Old 23rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Red dots are the rockin vintage op amps then!

VP26 with Red dot looks like the way forward!
Old 23rd October 2010
Lives for gear

that is what we have and they are fantastic.
i cant imagine a pre amp sounding much "better," just different.

its funny how much these are starting to catch on. when we bought our kits, nobody had even heard of them before...............

they have well worked on everything i have thrown at them so far.
Old 23rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Now to look for some custom screen printing in the uk!!!
Old 23rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Or would one go with the VP25 to have the bigger O/P TX?
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

I'd also grab 2 of the 312's from Jeff. they are great on overheads, bass and vocals. Just another flavor for when you need them. Red Dots in all of them!
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Just finished a pair of 26s w/ red dots today... Haven't had much time with them yet, but I'm very impressed so far.

Next up, some 312s! thumbsup
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

This is what I've been thinking about doing. My only question is, are the API 312's clean enough to be used as "clean" pres?
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

I did a classical recording last week with a API3124+ and I'd say YES definitely. Don't push the gain and you're good.
Old 25th October 2010
Lives for gear

well, kind of. Super clean pres to me are boring. The cleanest I ever like are the j99's and the 312's. I do like both of these pres very much! I jsut did bass tracks yesterday with the VP312 and it was great.

The 312's can be pushed a little harder as well it depends on how you set it up. The out put attenuator can be your biggest friend! More pres need these just like more compressors need the mix feature!
Old 25th October 2010
Lives for gear

Never would have guessed it was clean enough for classical but that's awesome to hear! Thanks for the reply
Hardy's or Tube pres with a bit of mojo is exactly what I had in mind when I said clean. I'd be using it for Vocals and Acoustic guitar. So thats perfect if its along those lines. Can the VP26 also do that clean or do i need the 312's for clean and the VP26 for mid forward and colored? Thanks for the reply, its very much appreciated!
Old 25th October 2010
Gear Addict

I have Hardys, and VP25, VP26, and VP312 (among others). The VP312 is more like the current API offerings and are a bit more neutral than the VP25 and VP26. If you're looking for a VP that is more neutral, go with the VP312 with either the red dot or gars.
Old 25th October 2010
Lives for gear

Anyone have a preference between the 26 and 25?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search