The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nashville Floods - how can we help? Nashville flooding pics
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Nashville Floods - how can we help? Nashville flooding pics

Keith Mohr from Indieheaven.com posted some pics of downtown Nashville for anyone interested in the flooding.

Search results for riverfront nashville
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
Keith Mohr from Indieheaven.com posted some pics of downtown Nashville for anyone interested in the flooding.

Search results for riverfront nashville
WOW in Germany we only have one big river.
But this one is BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGG-

The picture with the cars WOW nature has power.
Is there a way to send some money to the float victims??
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Wow. That's awful.
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Oh my god, it's like New Orleans.
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Took these iPhone pics from the air coming into BNA...

Old 5th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Do you know by chance if Cornelia Fort Airpark is under water? I would assume so,

Thanks.
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Does anyone know if Gruhn Guitars got his hard, looks pretty bad there?
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Yea I would like to know as well. I bought my first guitar there. Nice shop
Old 5th May 2010
LMS
Lives for gear

i think gruhns is high enough up the hill that it is ok. but i have been told that sound check is a real issue. that is the production facility where pre tour rehearsal and a ton of friends i know who tour have lockers. no one can get to it and the last i heard it was about 5 inches away from the front door, and that was a few days ago.
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Does anyone know if Gruhn Guitars got his hard, looks pretty bad there?
Broadway was flooded. But Gruhn's has a 2nd floor. I'm sure they took everything up there.

I've heard that a big cartage company that had a lots of gear stored for some of the big name musicians was completely flooded. Gear was floating out into the river.

I also heard that one of the Gibson factories was flooded.
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Last I heard SoundCheck was flooded. They just posted a locker clear out schedule on the blog so maybe its not as bad as it seemed at first but Ben (the owner) made it sound like there was definitely some flooding that happened and that gear in the lockers was potentially contaminated from the water. Hope for the best. Quite a few major companies with shops/ hubs in that facility.
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Really

I thought the Rhine was pretty big - or are you calling the Danube a small river? heh
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
But this one is BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGG

You don't know your own country?

I've seen a lot of big rivers when I was on tour in Germany.
You guys also had major floods in 2002 and 2003.
Old 5th May 2010
Day 27 – Nashville | Rescheduled Show Day

Some pictures from a friend of mine, does a tour photo blog. They were supposed to play at the Ryman the day of the flooding but cancelled and played the day after.
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Addict

Here's a well done collection of photos:
Flooding in Tennessee - The Big Picture - Boston.com
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
Yes, and by all accounts, finished.
I used to fly out of there. I really hate to hear this.

I really hate to hear everything that has happened to this wonderful city.

On edit - I just saw the pic of Cornelia Fort Airpark.
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

I just saw photos of the old Grand Ole Opry flooded. I'm not into country music but the history in that place is undeniable. It's a sad time for many.
Old 6th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
I just saw photos of the old Grand Ole Opry flooded. I'm not into country music but the history in that place is undeniable. It's a sad time for many.
Yup, that one affected me too. I lived in Nashville for ten years. Here's a link to the pic:

http://www.coolpeoplecare.org/media/...4_95405333.jpg
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

Does anyone know about Paul Whitehead's Illiad & Odyessy on 2nd Avenue?
That's a Hidley room and I concerned about that place being completely flooded.
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

Truly remarkable. I suspect a lot of heart felt music coming out of Nashville in the months to come. Bless you guys. Stay steady and strong!
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

Watching these flood pictures makes me sad. Take care you all that were affected by this! I'm travelling to 2010 CMA Music Festival in Nashville in June, I was informed today that it is not directly affected by this tragic event, so at least the event has not been cancelled. I'm glad because I pretty recently managed to limit the financial loss that the Volcanic Ash cloud was causing (got stuck in London for a prolonged period of time), I don't want to end up throwing away more money. These events seem to happen quite frequently these days, tells us to break the structures we are building up. And maybe that would not be a bad idea. There are alternative ways of living that are more environmental friendly.

Need to grab a cup of Irish Cream now and think about the fact that in life there are a lot of things that are fragile and that we will never be able to control mother nature. I wonder what 2012 will be like...

My prayers go to all you guys affected by this tragic event!
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

. . isn't it strange that this is not getting that much press? I sincerely hope this government / and insurers don't treat these people the way people were treated in New Orleans by the past government / insurers. Of course the flooding / deaths are not as extreme, but I was totally ashamed of our government's response in NO.

To think of all the vintage instruments / amps etc etc that have been making music for years that have been ruined / studios / recording gear / old microphones that have made record after record by some of the great old Nashville cats / all the other things of historical significance in music etc etc in Nashville at this time . . . it's sad as hell. Whether you are a fan of country music or not.

Then the toll it is taking on people regardless of the entertainment industry. I was thinking of a musician friend who has a ranch with horses (did the horses that she loves drown in the barn?) . . . I haven't been able to get in touch with her.
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

So sorry about all of this. I know it's gonna be hard for the folks to get back some sense of normality.

On a side note - does anyone know how the transportation sector doing?
FedEx, UPS, etc.
Are they under water?

Take care & good luck to y'all in the area-

Scott
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

The lack of national media coverage really is quite odd... Even stranger is the complete absence of damage in adjacent areas. It seems to be entirely elevation-based.

If you were anywhere near any type of stream bed, creek, river, etc. you got flooded - regardless of the size. My studio and family are blessed to be up on a hill - many of our friends aren't. No injuries to anyone we know and that's nothing short of a miracle, considering there's damage within .5 mile in just about every direction.

Here's a well written info on Sound Check:

Musicians Lose Millions In Gear From Flood - Nashville Weather News Story - WSMV Nashville

Vince Gill, Keith Urban, Brad Paisley Among Those Affected

Paisley is one of hundreds of Nashville's top stars, working musicians and tour support company owners who lost what will likely be millions of dollars in gear due the historic floods in Music City. Paisley was poised to start rehearsals for the water-themed tour when record rains inundated the area.

His staging and props are under water, most of his guitars, amps and equipment are destroyed -- though his favorite guitar was spared -- and he's scrambling to find replacements and suitable rehearsal space with the first stop on the tour at Virginia Beach, Va., just two weeks away.

"I sent a Tweet the other day that basically told people that when they come to the show just know that what you're seeing has been fully tested under water," Paisley joked in a phone interview Wednesday with The Associated Press. "You're talking about total cred. This is the H2O Tour. This isn't posers acting like we know about it. We've done it, buddy."

Paisley is one of an estimated 1,000 musicians and business owners who house gear at Soundcheck Nashville, a storage rental hub in an industrial park down by the Cumberland River. Owner Ben Jumper said the 160,000 square feet of space he rents out is all flooded and the losses will be in the tens of millions. The storage facility is full of classroom-sized "lockers" used to store gear.

Keith Urban lost his gear. Friends say Vince Gill may have lost most of his entire guitar collection, including irreplaceable vintage pieces with historic value. A tractor-trailer full of LeAnn Rimes' road gear is also probably under 3 1/2 to 8 feet of water, her guitarist Ryan Wariner said.

Musicians -- like most Tennessee residents -- had little warning the deadly storms that swept the state would be so violent. It mostly affected outlying areas around Tennessee's capital city, initially sparing some of the nation's most important music landmarks.

All that water eventually flowed into the Cumberland River, though, and it caught everyone by surprise when it flooded downtown and northeast Nashville, two important areas for musicians. Along with Soundcheck, the Grand Ole Opry House has flood damage and several music-themed businesses downtown took water, as did the mechanical room at the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Wariner is trying to be optimistic, but there's not a lot of reason for hope.

"Everything that I use but two guitars is in there -- pedals, amps, speakers, mics, front house consoles, everything was in there," said Wariner, son of Grammy-winning country artist Steve Wariner.

All Scott Scovill could do by Tuesday night was laugh about his losses. The owner of MooTV, a video production company that supplies those large video screens and other high-tech gear for large concert tours, was taking a philosophical approach, considering dozens of people were killed in the floods and thousands of homes were damaged.

"Compared to losing someone you care about or your home, all of this can be replaced," he said.

He was stunned when he heard floodwaters were several feet deep and wasn't waiting around for someone to tell him it was OK to go look.

"I snuck in," Scovill said. "I went around to an area where the police weren't watching and I called a friend who had a dinghy."

What he saw was shocking. There was 8 feet of water in his warehouse. He figures everything is a loss since motherboards and high-def screens don't take kindly to water.

"All my competitors are calling to help," Scovill said. "I took them up on it. I said, 'I need an LED screen this weekend,' and they said, 'Come get it.'"

Jumper couldn't stay away either. What he saw moved him to tears.

"I was overwhelmed, and my heart broke," he said. "It's a huge loss for the Nashville music entertainment industry and nationally because of all the national talent that operates in Nashville and out of our facilities."

Paisley is dead-set on starting his tour on time. He said the fans deserve it and the logistics of a postponement would actually be harder than grinding through a quick recovery.

"My guitar tech is spending like a broker on the stock exchange floor," Paisley said.

Much of the tour staging is made from aluminum and will need to be dried off and cleaned up with just a little plywood and carpet to be replaced. And luckily the "brain" of his video production gear was not at Soundcheck.

However, the locker that stored all of his guitars and personal equipment has been flooded.

"Things like this make you really take stock in what you're given. And this is going to mean so much more than some normal tour that we're embarking on," Paisley said.
Old 6th May 2010
Anderson Cooper (CNN) is finally going to be doing more coverage tonight. Last night he apologized for not covering this disaster as much as they should have.
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

Vince G. (always a class act) really summed it up - in the end this is just "stuff" - the real tragedies are the loss of life and injuries to all the families.

Quite true.
Old 7th May 2010
Gear Maniac

@byron talbot

What you're doing is fantastic! Just keep yourself safe. That is some nasty, nasty water!

Be safe my friend.

Earl
Old 7th May 2010
Gear Head

Pretty amazing stuff watching all the youtube videos pouring in from the Nashville residents.

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a bubble, but it really does seem like the national press avoided this one. Basically heard a passing sentence on NPR about flooding there this week. Contrary to reports, this is on a massive scale Why did the news seem to drop the ball/heavily avoid this disaster?

My thoughts go out to those dealing with the cleanup effort. What a mess down there...
Old 7th May 2010
I talked to John Prine's manager last night, he's going over to Sound Check today to see what, if any, of his gear can be salvaged. He's lucky because all of their live show equipment was not at Sound Check during the floods, but his 1950's Gibson Super Jumbo and several other guitars are likely ruined.

But, in the end, it's just stuff, but it's a rather unfortuante situation. We've been getting a lot of calls at Gear for Days from managers trying to track down instruments, wireless microphones, and other live sound equipment for upcoming events but I think the stock of what rental houses have available might be worn a little thin. It might be worth an e-mail asking SIR, Gear for Days, or Blackbird to see if they'd be willing to sub-rent equipment from you as an individual to help support these artist.

Here's a picture a friend of mine took, that's going to be used for a Lightning 100 (local independent radio station) benefit CD. That's her little boy, Chae:

Old 7th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Woowee! That's some nasty water Chae's walking in...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search