The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nashville Floods - how can we help? nashville sluts ... floods?
Old 4th May 2010
Nashville Floods - how can we help? nashville sluts ... floods?

how ya'll doin? arg... scary stuff. thoughts & prayers...

At least 11 dead as record flooding engulfs Tennessee - CNN.com
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicAndFilmGeek View Post
how ya'll doin? arg... scary stuff. thoughts & prayers...

At least 11 dead as record flooding engulfs Tennessee - CNN.com

not sure this will work...

WAY scary stuff! I was stuck at the house for the last 2 days and my studio is in Franklin....I wasn't sure if it would be a swimming pool when I got here this morning! Thankfully, no flooding at my studio.

About a mile from here, there is a golf course that is now literally a lake! And about 2 miles from here, there were a number of homes that were flooded. Alot of people closer to the downtown Nashville area (Bellevue especially) have lost just about everything. So sad!

I have yet to venture to downtown Nashville....the pictures on TV are just unbelievable!
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear
Yeah - it's for real...The "new" $300 million symphony hall is flooded, LP Field, Bridgestone Arena...Awful...

YouTube - tndotcom's Channel
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. McNeely View Post
WAY scary stuff! I was stuck at the house for the last 2 days and my studio is in Franklin....I wasn't sure if it would be a swimming pool when I got here this morning! Thankfully, no flooding at my studio.

About a mile from here, there is a golf course that is now literally a lake! And about 2 miles from here, there were a number of homes that were flooded. Alot of people closer to the downtown Nashville area (Bellevue especially) have lost just about everything. So sad!

I have yet to venture to downtown Nashville....the pictures on TV are just unbelievable!
Glad to hear you're alright J.R.!

It is pretty ridiculous around here. I was lucky as well. Home and Studio just fine.

I know a few of my friends that weren't as lucky. Especially folks with basement studios.
Old 4th May 2010
Here for the gear

Glad all you guys are ok down there. I used to have a studio in E. Nashville that would likely be under water by now. The pics looks really scary. Stay dry!
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Well, I'm OK... But I imagine there has been lots of damage to studios elsewhere in town. I went out today to look around and it was pretty bad...

Inglewood SoundBarn
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Maniac

I got a call today from a studio player here in town that thinks he lost all his gear because the "Soundcheck" cartage and rehersal facility is under water. I haven't been able to confirm this but have heard/read about it from multiple sources. Though the facility is dock height the story is they got several feet over that today before cresting...

Guess we'll know more in a day or two. Keep praying.
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetarpicker View Post
I got a call today from a studio player here in town that thinks he lost all his gear because the "Soundcheck" cartage and rehersal facility is under water. I haven't been able to confirm this but have heard/read about it from multiple sources. Though the facility is dock height the story is they got several feet over that today before cresting...

It's definitely flooded. I past it today and there was water halfway up the loading dock bays. so, there is surely 2-3 feet of water in there.
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebridges View Post
It's definitely flooded. I past it today and there was water halfway up the loading dock bays. so, there is surely 2-3 feet of water in there.
Man, even worse.
"This has put the water level inside of Soundcheck at about 3.5′ – 4′."
Soundcheck Nashville
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Head

Yea, I drove by that today and there were road cases and gear laying out drying everywhere. It happened so fast. We were working on saturday and our place just started leaking, before you know we were stranded for a bit due to all of the roads being flooded. We made it, but our studio may need new ceilings and flooring, and the mildew smell is horrible. I know folks who lost everything, I consider myself lucky and grateful. If I can help anyone out in the area PM me. Cheers everyone.

Last edited by The Griff; 4th May 2010 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: Spelling fail!
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Guru

horrible rain fall, prayer are with you slutz.....
All the Best.
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Addict

Oh man....didn't know Sound Check was hit so hard.
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Nut

That's horrible, praying the best for everybody up there.
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

we had tornadoes here in LR, AR. 3 different twisters came within 3-8 mile proximity to our house/studio. we were lucky.
hopes and prayers to all who were affected.
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Maniac

I was stranded in Memphis all weekend finally got home today. house is okay. very small amount of water in my studio. but I have friends who have houses submerged to the gutters or worse. so unreal.

Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

holy ****! thoughts go out to y`ll down there.

I used to sell houses on some reclaimed land down by the Cumberland, just ABOVE the 100 year flood mark - so I guess they are under water now.

I dont understand how it could rain so much the flood precautions were not able to cope.
That kind of stuff supposedly was a thing of the past after all the valleys were drowned to make containment lakes.

I have folks on the lakeshore at Hermitage and Percy Priest. hope they are OK
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griff View Post
Yea, I drove by that today and there were road cases and gear laying out drying everywhere.
Does this mean that the water is receding?
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

The Cumberland crested last night at around 51 feet.

Inglewood SoundBarn
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbarnfool View Post
The Cumberland crested last night at around 51 feet.

Inglewood SoundBarn
That is unbelievable! Like I said before, what the hell went wrong?

It only used to go up to about 80ft before the Tennessee valley project!
I.E. no cachement lakes at all.

Did Lower Broad go under? What about George Gruhn`s place?
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Guru

My heart goes out to all the victims.
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
That is unbelievable! Like I said before, what the hell went wrong?

It only used to go up to about 80ft before the Tennessee valley project!
I.E. no cachement lakes at all.

Did Lower Broad go under? What about George Gruhn`s place?

Nothing went wrong from what I can tell. We got 13-15 inches in most places. almost 18 in franklin...all within 36 hours. It was just too much water. The dams are almost overflowing from the lakes. They started releasing water last night from a few of the dams because of that fact. The Cumberland had already broken its banks though.

Most of the flooding is not from the river, though. They're just low lying areas that flooded.

To illustrate: the creek behind my house is normally dry. The deepest I've seen it is probably 2 feet deep (probably 3 feet wide) in the last 3 years. Sunday when I woke up, It was a 70 foot wide raging river. Had to have been 7 or 8 feet deep. It was seriously moving fast...and I am not in a low lying area.

So, it was just a ton of water. up to 1.5 inches fell per hour for 5 or 6 hours at a time. It did this twice in 36 hours.

One of the 2 days broke the record for most rainfall in 1 day. If you count both storms over the 2 day period, we almost doubled the previous 2 day record. Our monthly average of rainfall is normally between 3 and 4 inches (although, 4.9 for may). We got 2-3 months worth of rainfall in 36 hours.
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Maniac

I lived near Edmonson Pike and Old Hickory for 8 years.

My heart goes out to all of those affected by this. God bless you all.

The pic of the Opry tears my heart out.
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Floods are nasty stuff, that water has ungodly crud in it. Not just mud, we're talking sewer, waste, chemicals, petrol, anything it claimed upstream. Sometimes they hit a cemetery and it sends corpses floating down in coffins (yeesh!).

I got hit back in the 2006 flood that hit the northeast. While I lost very little personal possessions, my rental place was totalled because the landlord decided the damage was too great to renovate it. Cleaning up after the mud was a b*tch. Once is enough, never again!
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbeat77 View Post
Does this mean that the water is receding?
Yes, slightly. Soundcheck was hit but they also keep some gear in a small place outside Berry Hill if I'm not mistaken. Unless whoever happened to be working there just rented a ton of stuff. The water was just below the bottom of my car, they had everything on tables, stands, cases...whatever they could find.
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Good lord, crazy stuff guys. Hang in there......
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Nut

My prayers are with you guys.
I hope god will take this negative situation and make it positive for everyone affected by the flooding
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

We just went thru this up here in Rhode Island. I live a stone's throw from the Pawtuxet River. The river usually runs at 6 feet. Flood stage is 9 feet..

We hit 21 feet a few weekes ago. Business and homes wiped out.

Thank God no one was killed.

My heart goes out to you guys.
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetarpicker View Post

This is in fact true. Soundchecknashville.com

Check out the pictures. We have lost hundreds of thousands in touring gear in the flood of Soundcheck, as have all of our friends and colleagues. Sad stuff. We moved from LA to Nashville on Thursday the 29th and by Sunday the 2nd we had lost all of our gear. **** luck really.

Both mine and Keb's homes, studios and families are all safe, so I guess it's bitter sweet. Going to take some rebuilding before we hit the road in support of Keb's new record. My best wishes go out to all of those who have lost there homes, at least we can replace our gear.
Old 6th May 2010
Gear Maniac

GOOD LUCK from Italy. We are so sad about your situation, especially for the ones who lost part of their gear. that's really sad ;( but HANG ON GUYS If Nashville is Nashville i think that it's not gonna be a flood to stop that working BRAINS

take care

DmZ

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search