The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question for Roland Space Echo users Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Nut

Question for Roland Space Echo users

Have any of you that own a RE201, 301, 501, 555..ever sold one model and purchased another. I own a RE 201 and love it. However I question if the added features on the 301 are worth enough to sell my 201. The reason for my question is because I like the chorus, sound on sound, and dual outs on the 301. I like the gritty sound of the 101,201, and 301. Some on GS claim that the 500 series is too clean, so that rules out getting a 501 or 555. Have any of you been in my situation. Are the 301 outs a true stereo or just dual mono? Of course if I made the money Michael Brauer has I would just buy all of them!
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Addict

Yeah I have been wondering the same thing myself. I love my RE201, but I really love that 70/80s Roland chorus sound (I have a Juno 60, and would love it if I could use the chorus on that keyboard as an outboard effect) and I wonder if it would be worth it to grab a 301 and sell the 201...

Anyone have info on this?
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

I've been pondering going in the other direction. I'm not a big fan of either the chorus or the spring in the 301, and the sound on sound hasn't been particularly useful. Maybe we should trade. heh
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

I've got a good sounding 201 and I had a 150 which we sold.
The 150 has the same circuit (with ICs) as the 500 series if I remember. It is definitely cleaner sounding. I think the 301 uses the same discreet circuitry than the 201 /101 but I'm not 100% sure. There was a great website with all the models/info etc.. idf I found it I will post the link/ The chorus on the 301 is a typical Roland chorus (think Juno 6 etc...) Some Space Echoes will need some fair amount of TLC to sound as they should...But they are quite easily serviceable.
Old 4th May 2010
Led
Lives for gear

I have a 501 and the chorus is excellent. It really shines when you have a bit of chorus plus the stereo returns happening so you get delay out one side and spring verb out the other.
I'm looking for a 201 or 301 at the moment because the 501 is really clean. Perfect for a lot of stuff but too clean for gritty dirty delays. It also doesn't self oscillate as easily.
But like I say the chorus is awesome.
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
I have a 501 and the chorus is excellent. It really shines when you have a bit of chorus plus the stereo returns happening so you get delay out one side and spring verb out the other.
I'm looking for a 201 or 301 at the moment because the 501 is really clean. Perfect for a lot of stuff but too clean for gritty dirty delays. It also doesn't self oscillate as easily.
But like I say the chorus is awesome.
You can get your 501 to oscilate more easily by adjusting the feedback trim inside the unit, you can get the manual/ maintenance procedure easily on the net.
Old 5th May 2010
Led
Lives for gear

Cheers, I have a Watkins Copicat that I use for that sort of stuff, it self oscillates to the bejeezuz...but no varispeed.
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Guru

My Multi-Echo self oscillates easily. Do it all the time.thumbsup

Old 5th May 2010
i use 201, have used a friends 501. it is a different sound, perhaps a little cleaner, but this is still a tape echo.. with all the beatiful quirks impossible to get on anything else. dont worry about it being too clean.

now i want/need a 501 too.. they just work best on slightly different sources. a perfect combo. for example drum mahcines, vocals and some synths just love 501 whereas guitars, and some (other) synths and ambient stuff love my 201.

tho i'd gladly have the Multivox shown above, if i could find one.. i've used it and it is uber mojo piece too. and korg se 500 as well. damn, f i could, id have a barrage of tape echos.. heh
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
Cheers, I have a Watkins Copicat that I use for that sort of stuff, it self oscillates to the bejeezuz...but no varispeed.
I like the Watkins, the one I used to have access to was a solid state MkIII or IV. I've seen a varispeed watkins in a shop in London, they are pretty rare unfortunately.

Nice watkins site here; http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/copicats.htm
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
My Multi-Echo self oscillates easily. Do it all the time.thumbsup

Nice!
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Maniac

It's easy to get a dirty sound out of the 501 - all you have to do is make sure that you never replace the tape!
Old 6th May 2010
I'm looking for a Copycat with a bad motor and/or electronics. I need the erase head.
Old 6th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour View Post
Nice!
I bought it brand new about 1978! heh

I had to replace the motor in the mid 90's, other than that, never had an issue.
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I'm looking for a Copycat with a bad motor and/or electronics. I need the erase head.
Hey man, not to change the subject, but who's that a picture of in your avatar? What is that picture? I dig it.
Old 6th May 2010
Gear Head

It was a 201 that lived in the Black Ark. So, so...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search