The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do you ever some times think what is the point of making music?
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Im at that moment now, im so bored yet for some reason i dont want to make music which is strange, whats wrong with meeeeeee!!!!!!
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Maniac

I know how you feel. Been there. It's like you sit down to write something and not soon after you just stop and do something else.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear
Nothing. The disease in in remission.

However, I expect it will return shortly.
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by complex View Post
No.
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Im at that moment now, im so bored yet for some reason i dont want to make music which is strange, whats wrong with meeeeeee!!!!!!

Actually I did have a little down period for a while. Then I started downloading the CBC Radio 3 podcast.

Mostly Indie Pop/Rock but everything from Hip hop to Country to Metal.

It lit a fire under my ass a few times, maybe it could do the same for you.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

It's a good climate for protest songs and the next Dylan.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

There are some days when everything seems futile, it happens to me.

Then I wake up the next day realizing that everything does not need to have a meaning, and the feeling of futility fades away.
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Nut

im going thru that too
for me it usually comes from frustration of not getting something right, then I give music the finger for some weeks
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

We all go through it.

For me, it's just a hobby and when at work, I really look forward to evenings & weekends so I can get some time in.

But last weekend I didn't do a thing. Not motivated in the slightest.

No doubt subconciously I'm listening, scanning, composing etc.

Hopefully
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Often seems pointless. But then I compare it with any other human acivity and then it seems the most important thing in the world, with the exception of making and raising kids. Or practicing making.

I think being bored is a tough state to be when trying to make music - doesn't foster creativity. Make a list of 5 or 10 necessary things that you really should be doing right now - organizing your finances, cleaning your closet, working out, returning phone calls, whatever, and make those your priority today. If you're anything like me, you'll end up having a very productive day in the home studio instead of doing ANY of those things.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Yes, I feel that way now and again. But I always come back!
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

IMO, my Sig line is the answer... It's the enjoyment of process or the journey ( as opposed to the result or goal ) that gives true validity. Just refocus on this. The reason is, once any goal is reached there are really only two options either quit the process or pic a new goal. This means that enjoyment in the result or achieved goal, is at best fleeting and transitory. The enjoyment in the journey continues as log as one continues the journey
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

I never question the point of making music, but I often question the point of points.
Old 28th April 2010
Here for the gear

Ohhh yes!!!

Quote:
Everyday for the last 30 years. But Im still doing it until I find the answer

Good Luck!!
Hidraulico
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Guru

I have not wrote in 5 years, I know how it feels.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Sure, going through a "whats the point of anything" phase after a pretty rough breakup but music is usually the one constant. Its good to have a period of not being into it. It will be back.

The last couple times I went to shows I felt how utterly ridiculous it is to have a group of people up on a stage performing while a group of people watch them. For me music is a meditational experience and it really never gets better than the act of creation within yourself. I'm much more at peace with it than when I was trying to live up to some rock star myth.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear
Music=Freedom to me.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

I've struggled with this for years. I can't say is has stopped me or even slowed me down when making music, but the imaginary conversation I have in my head over and over again is with an alien coming to earth and trying to explain the social value of music. Then I realized (after a very long time) that if it makes people happy, then it's very useful. I mean, I don't know about you people, but almost all of my friends and I don't have charmed lives. We all have to deal with some pretty lousy crap, pretty much all the time. So if I can play for people and make them forget about all the crap in their lives, even for a little while, then I've "done my job" so to speak.
In fact, this whole dilemma of "the point of making music" is what caused me to get a Physics degree rather than a music degree. I saw more worth in one than the other. Little did I know at the time that nobody cares about what piece of paper you have. At all. I mean AT. ALL.

So yeah, maybe there's not "a point" to making music, but there's not much of a point to anything really. So if music is what floats your boat, then you're probably way better off in the long run.
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
IMO, my Sig line is the answer... It's the enjoyment of process or the journey ( as opposed to the result or goal ) that gives true validity. Just refocus on this. The reason is, once any goal is reached there are really only two options either quit the process or pic a new goal. This means that enjoyment in the result or achieved goal, is at best fleeting and transitory. The enjoyment in the journey continues as log as one continues the journey
Amen! It's all about the journey for me. I'm eager to finish the project i'm working on now so I can move on to the next. I went through a period of about a year when I didn't write/play at all. Sometimes you need to lose what you love to really appreciate its worth.

Just stop writing for a little. If it really means something to you, it'll come back and hit you like a ton of bricks! I ****ing love writing now. Listening back to one of your tracks when's it's done right is the best thing ever. I still learn every day and my hairs still stand up when I hear sound busting through the air. Good luck.
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Guru

Do you ever sometimes think what is the point of making music??

Never. It's my purpose.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't worry! I think you are a bit exhausted from different experiences lately and need some rest. Even earth has its seasons.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Man you guys are all way deeper than I am.

When I really get in a rut, nothing spurs me on and gets me excited to create again like a new piece of gear. I know, I'm a chimpanzee easily amused by shiny new things. But it's true - I can't even list how many new songs were triggered by getting a new effect pedal, or how many interestring recordings by getting a new preamp or even interface.
Old 28th April 2010
Quote:
I think many of us get occasionally bored with ourselves and our typical musical moves.

A lot of times, I can perk myself up simply by switching instruments, say, putting down my standard-tuned dread and picking up my Ovation, which is typically tuned in DADGAD or open D -- or picking up my classical, which is my oldest, dearest guitar (not to mention one I paid almost the least for).

And sometimes I just watch a movie or take a walk.

Or... pick up one of them book things... heh
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman View Post
I never question the point of making music, but I often question the point of points.
"He has a point there."
Harry Nilsson

I guess I'm with Henry on this one. I need to play....every day. I was tracking keys at 5:00 AM this morning before work.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Unclenny;5354260]"He has a point there."
Harry Nilsson

Nilsson's "The Point" is wonderful - I listened to the whole story/album just the other day - Oblio & Arrow & the Pointless Forest...excellent stuff.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
"He has a point there."
Harry Nilsson

I guess I'm with Henry on this one. I need to play....every day. I was tracking keys at 5:00 AM this morning before work.
heh

You rock. While others are making work excuses and not enough time, Unclenny is up and at m' at the ass crack laying it down!
You got the =

Hey, speaking of keys, my Kurzweil PC3 arrived yesterday. It's dreamy.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I have not wrote in 5 years, I know how it feels.
+1, maybe 4 years for me I'm not sure

Writing music makes me a strange person. Somehow I feel better (lots of energy and free mind) but people around me gets sort of disturbed (I don't use drugs or drink much). Now I'm in a different city since then and don't have many friends, maybe I should start with something basic...
Old 28th April 2010

every fekkin day.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Music writing/making for me is something emotional thing. Things like good or bad moments / exp in your daily life can make big influences on it. Get out of your daily routin circle. Do something completly different. Get new emotional impulse's.
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Guru

I think a real writer just writes. Need no excuse to write. You don't have to have a bloody life experience to write. You just write. It can be profound or stupid. It can be great or silly. Write. Just frigging write.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search