The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do you ever some times think what is the point of making music?
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I think a real writer just writes. Need no excuse to write. You don't have to have a bloody life experience to write. You just write. It can be profound or stupid. It can be great or silly. Write. Just frigging write.
If its your job then yes you're right. But when its something more personal then at least to me it would be forcing yourself to make "another" song.
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
If its your job then yes you're right. But when its something more personal then at least to me it would be forcing yourself to make "another" song.
It's all personal. It's profoundly personal. That's what makes it so easy. Breathing is deeply personal. You don't have to have an excuse to breath. Or it doesn't have to be a deep., meaningful, great series of breaths.

A writer, writes. There's no force to it. You write. But yes, on the other side of FORCE is the attempt to STOP. So if you have to FORCE yourself to write, you're already making big ass problems for yourself by butting up against some effort to stop.

JUST WRITE.

Just play your instrument. Practice it for a change. Take responsibility for your own music. No one else will.

You don't write out of boredom, or pain, or happiness or loneliness, or tranquility, or lust, anger, pity, sorrow, joy, bliss, sexual tension, or for lack of something better to do-- you write for all of those things, or none.

He doesn't have to wait till sunset, or when he's drunk or high or after he's gotten laid, or when he's gotten in an argument with his girlfriend, or she's left him and his heart torn out on the floor, or he doesn't have to have that nice new piece of gear. NONE of that has anything to do with it. EVEN IF HE THINKS IT DOES. It's him.

A writer writes. Period. If he's not writing he's doing something else, but writing he's not.

Maybe he's a "Used to be a writer," because it impresses himself or he thinks saying so will impress women or other musicians. He's bought all this gear and now he can't write. Get out of your way man! Fukin' WRITE! ****.

Bunch of whiney ass toady hoppers. Snap out of it!

You gotta DO.

Said with as much love as I can muster.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
It's all personal. It's profoundly personal. That's what makes it so easy. Breathing is deeply personal. You don't have to have an excuse to breath. Or it doesn't have to be a deep., meaningful, great series of breaths.

Said with as much love as I can muster.
GREAT post! Inspiring
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Addict

Here are some ideas I have found helpful:

1. Buy a turntable and play some records. Just listen.
2. Buy a new guitar. Maybe something old with some history.
3. Go see live music.
4. Record someone you know and like their music for free.
5. Lock yourself in a room all alone, record the entire session with something like a Zoom recorder. Don't think about it. Just ramble.
6. Buy DVD's of music played live.
7. Read. Lots of good books out there about music and writing.

DVD - The other Side of the Mirror Bob Dylan
DVD - Nirvana Unplugged in New York
DVD - It Might Get Loud - Jimmy Page Jack White The Edge

BOOK - Ordinary Genius (poetry) Kim Addonizio
BOOK - Down the Highway, The Life of Bob Dylan, Howard Sounes
BOOK - Two of Us - John Lennon & Paul McCartney Behind the Myth, Geoffrey Giuliano

Hope this helps some.

Gary
Old 29th April 2010
Gear Nut

Some days I wish I was born without the ear for music, so maybe I could have a normal life ..."like everyone else" I suppose. How about being able to enjoy myself at a concert or a live show without judging every little detail. Maybe I would have more money too. Music has turned me into not only a determined perfectionist but a major computer geek. My girlfriend just doesn't understand and she doesn't even like music. We've been living together for 2 years and I've never herd her hum a tune or mention a song. But besides all that, she means the world to me.

What helped me was to stop showing off. I was making sound that I have herd before or what would only be excepted by others. Music that regular people would approve. It all revolved around everything outside of myself and nothing inside me. I was caring too much about what other people thought. I had to force them to enjoy it. Life was miserable and I hated everything I created.

Now I don't give a fruck about what others think and I make what ever I want. There are no rules for me anymore, I'm sick of them. Who says I can't do that? Now I am totally free. I don't post my stuff on the internet to see what "you think". The hell what people think. As a matter of fact, I don't have one track on the internet.

Now I feel free and liberated and enjoy it. Every now and then I fall back into my old habits and it reminds me of the pain I had. But I quickly come back to my free world. It gives me up most pleasure to have someone listen to my tracks, if I see the person very uncomfortable, then I know I'm on the right track.

Yes, I often feel there is no point. But why we can't stop is another question.
Old 5th June 2012
Yes. And then everyday I get back to making it. It pays the bills. And I love it.
Old 5th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by complex View Post
Im at that moment now, im so bored yet for some reason i dont want to make music which is strange, whats wrong with meeeeeee!!!!!!
I found myself feeling that way about the music business but, happily, not about music.

Don't get me wrong.

Sometimes I play through a bunch of songs or listen to some of my recordings and find myself really dissatisfied -- and there are plenty of times these days when I kick myself because I can't seem to get any enthusiasm for recording -- but I'm playing at least a couple hours a day and enjoying it and feeling fulfilled by it.

Contributing to that is the fact that a couple years ago, on a whim, I started experimenting with the DADGAD tuning on guitar. I'd played a lot of open chord tunings (I play slide) and some fifth drone tunings but DADGAD had never made sense to me. But I was watching a vid of Irish blues man Rory Gallagher talking to some BBC interviewer about the blues. He picked up a nearby guitar to demonstrate what he was talking about and said, Oh, it's in DADGAD, well, that'll do. And then proceeded to play some really cool stuff.

And I thought, well, if it's good enough for Rory... anyhow, the stars were lined up right, I ended up playing for a couple hours and ever since then I've probably been playing about 2/3 DADGAD.

The cool thing about it is that it's a tuning that lends itself to quickly seeing what the harmonic value of the note your playing is (assuming you're using a familiar mode). So I find myself thinking a lot more about what I'm playing in a contextual way; it's been really interesting.

I spent my whole childhood, I felt like, being bored.

But one day I figured out that you have to make your own interest in this life. And since then, I've been up, I've been down, but I've almost never been bored.

(Paperback books saved my sanity in the era of long queues everywhere you went. My first year of college, registration at my 28K person school was all by hand. It took a week just to get your classes. All queues. All the time. It was the test of fire for avoiding boredom. Thank heaven for coeds.)

Since I didn't start playing music until I was 20, I've always made it a point to keep learning.

When you start that far behind, you have to try a little harder.

(It didn't help that music teachers kept telling me I had absolutely no musical talent whatsoever. Once I threw that off, I decided to never let that kind of negativity hold me back again. Still, it can be frustrating learning to play when you do have absolutely no musical talent whatsoever. But, hey, I like a good challenge. )
Old 5th June 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
It didn't help that music teachers kept telling me I had absolutely no musical talent whatsoever.
my saxophone teacher was telling me this, too when i asked him if he'd recognized any form of talent in me. he just said: "no".
I didn't believe him, because i knew from heart that i could do it.
later on, i became the solo saxophone player of an orchestra and passed D3 certification with the best marks anyone did before me for years, i guess it were 96 points of 100 possible.
but that's another story...

what i wanted to tell.... and what i really do find a problem ist:

several years ago, i intended to make music and to make a record, wrote maybe 10-15 songs and wanted to record them professionally.
time after time, i wanted to do everything by myself, songwriting, arranging, recording, mixing and mastering...
and i lost myself into the detail.
since several years, i work towards a professional studio, haven't written any songs during that time, i was busy planning the studio, building acoustic panels and since several months i even started to build my own equipment.
i totally lost focus on what i initially wanted to do: just make mine music.
at the moment, i'm stuck with a DIY monitor controller.
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear
I need to make music. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

I did my time in my late 20s...rejection letters in hand...album I hated in the can...I decided to be "normal"-got into IT, played a lot of video games, and drank a lot. And discovered there was like denial of a part of me. A big missing chunk...that nothing else filled...I got laid off, thank goodness, in 2001-and it became very clear what the missing chunk was...so, I reconstituted the home studio and made an album I was proud of...and haven't looked back.

I don't write all the time. I'm not prolific. I'm OK with that...I've never seen a correlation in prolific writers and great writers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search