The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Dynaudios arrived damaged
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

Dynaudios arrived damaged

I just got some BM6a's and the tweeter is pushed in on one.
I gently used a vacuum and sucked it out again, looks fine, i can still see a very slight crease.. but i have to really look to notice.
My question is would this have affected the sound/ damaged the tweeter in any way, being pushed in and then sucked out?
I just powered up and ran some audio through them and they sound good.. they sound bloody great actually.
Just wanted to check with you fellas anyway, to be on the safe side. I bought them used and paid a lot for them. Thanks
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

Thoughts would be appreciated, anyone...?
Old 27th April 2010
Do you have access to a Soundblaster card?
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

No i dont, how would that help?
Im using SSL Alphalink SX..

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Do you have access to a Soundblaster card?
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
My question is would this have affected the sound/ damaged the tweeter in any way, being pushed in and then sucked out?

Sorry I did not read you properly previously.
Again I never had a problem..
Well A/B test them, test them both. Only you can tell us if they sound different/damaged or not. thumbsup
Old 27th April 2010
Usually it is inaudible.
Old 27th April 2010
Quote:
No i dont, how would that help?
Im using SSL Alphalink SX..

Okay then... well, if you set up a test with sine waves, and switching back and forth between the two speakers, I'd think you'd notice any anomalies or differences in the top end?
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

Yer i did test them, but didnt have time to set them up properly, so i could only test one at a time, it was late too, so i couldnt crank it (volume up)..
But they sounded fine, i didnt hear any problems.
Ill test them both together tonight and check again.
If the tweeter was slightly damaged what would i expect to hear, slightly less high frequency / distortion at higher levels?
Thanks again...
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

Good idea. Any links to some good sine wave test signals?

Quote:
Okay then... well, if you set up a test with sine waves, and switching back and forth between the two speakers, I'd think you'd notice any anomalies or differences in the top end?
Old 27th April 2010
Quote:
Good idea. Any links to some good sine wave test signals?
You'd think there would be some online, huh? I was thinking back to a test CD I got from Mix Magazine years ago, with sine waves and all manner of little audio gimmicks.

If there's something "wrong" with the tweeter, the surest sign (I'd think) would be a different way of handling the crispness of sibilance-- if it's damaged, it's going to sound softer/blurrier/muffly, you won't get the same accurate "chk's."
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks Joel, guys, will test it out better tonight
Old 27th April 2010
Lux
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I just got some BM6a's and the tweeter is pushed in on one.
I gently used a vacuum and sucked it out again, looks fine, i can still see a very slight crease.. but i have to really look to notice.
I just powered up and ran some audio through them and they sound good.. they sound bloody great actually.
Just wanted to check with you fellas anyway, to be on the safe side. I bought them used and paid a lot for them. Thanks
Has you bought them used or new? If new, I would change them regardless if this affect performance. It is harder to sell in future if you can see that something happened to the tweeter.
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Has you bought them used or new? If new, I would change them regardless if this affect performance. It is harder to sell in future if you can see that something happened to the tweeter.

I agree, it has decreased the resale value and the tweeters life expectancy has probably been shortened alot by this mishap.

Dynaudio is a superb company from what I´ve heard... I´m sure if you email/call them up and describe your problem, they´ll send you a replacement tweeter.
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

No they are MK1 BM6A i bought them used, but paid a lot, 780 euros, because they were in near mint condition.
Seller packed them quite well, but the front of the speakers didnt have anything solid, like say a piece of thick cardboard in front, to stop the packaging pushing the tweeter dome backwards..
Im having such ****ty luck with couriers lately.
So do you guys think i should ask the seller for some sort of partial refund / replacement tweeter or something?
Must admit i am a bit bummed out about it... it was supposed to mint.. but now its kinda not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Old 27th April 2010
What a classic, hazy situation! The seller's lack of foresight/ineptitude has left them with some indeterminate damage-- it sure seems like he owes you SOMETHING, eh?

If this was any kind of dealer, they'd not hesitate to make it right-- namely, getting you a replacement tweeter-- not leaving it up to you to determine how extensive or long-term or life-shortening the damage is.

In any case, this is a character test for the guy-- you will find out how reputable or sleazy he is... where he falls on the reputable/sleazy scale.

Totally reputable would be, "Dude, sorry. I'll get you a replacement tweeter. My reputation means something to me. Also, karma has a way of coming 'round back again." And then actually DO it. "Reputable impulse" would be to say this, and never do anything.

Total sleaze: "Dude, listen to it real carefully, okay? See if it's any different from the good one, and how different, and then we'll work out what percentage of the cost that one little tweeter was, and what percentage the damage is, then divide by seven and I'll send you an IOU."
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

Was it on ebay? Via Paypal? You can hold off your payment.... you can alert ebay for not sending you item as described.. was it insured? But the first step would be to enforce the hold payment option should ebay have been the platform used for your purchase.
Sometimes you gotta do .......what you gotta do.
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Addict

you can generate wave tones in Audacity.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the suggestion fellas..
I just tested them better tonight and unfortunately it seems the tweeter does have an issue of sorts, listening at higher volumes im getting distortion from that tweeter, that im not getting from the other speaker, somethings not 100% right...
This is such a pain in the ass.. now i have the hassle trying to resolve this..........
Old 27th April 2010
No, you have the opportunity of solving a dilemma-- I meet cool people this way, and the help you can get when you ask for it can be stunning, sometimes.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for that Joel. Well i called Dynaudio this morning and got a quote for a replacement tweeter, ive messaged the seller through ebay and hopefully we can resolve this without any hassles as you say. Im pretty certain the seller is on gearslutz, so fingers crossed, should work out ok.
Thanks for the help guys

Quote:
No, you have the opportunity of solving a dilemma-- I meet cool people this way, and the help you can get when you ask for it can be stunning, sometimes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search