The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
e609 mic..
Old 12th November 2005
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
e609 mic..

Hey everyone,

Last night I was recording a guitar amp and tried the Sennheiser e609 out. I have always used a SM57 for the most part, but some guy gave the e609 to me and I thought I would just give it a try.. WOW this mic really is outstanding. It seems to pick more of the natural sound of the amp, but still have a smooth sound like a 57. The best way to describe it is a SM 57 with a more open sound!!!
In the past I have always found myself equing a little on the guitar track with the 57, but with the e609 it just sits in the mix perfect. Just to make sure I was not going crazy (or messing up a track) I also tracked with the sm 57. Well the track with the sm57 is now muted.

Glenn
Old 12th November 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Glenn, if you get a chance, try out the original MD409 on guitar. The 609 is very weak by comparison.
Old 12th November 2005 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I will keep my eyes out for one.. Looks like on ebay they go around 300 or so.. Wish I could get one for the same price as the e609, FREE.
Old 12th November 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use a 609 on my guitars in a Demeter iso cab. Always get great results. Less top than a 57....and more body and air.....
Old 13th November 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Are we talking e609 or e609 silver? I really like my silver. Slaughters a 57 IMO.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
silver..
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
57's smooth??!?

I've always found them to be one of the peakiest, least open-sounding mics in the cupboard-
Good on anything where you want an exadurated presence & "in-ur-face"ness, but otherwise...-
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Why is it that the ORIGINAL, whether it be 409, 87, 47, whatever... sounds better than the NEW one?

Are we going backwards?

I don't get this as far as sound gear.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
see DE-VO....
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarsland
Why is it that the ORIGINAL, whether it be 409, 87, 47, whatever... sounds better than the NEW one?

Are we going backwards?

I don't get this as far as sound gear.
because after something is successful they start to look for ways to cut manufacturing costs. Usually the reputation of the original rubs off on the new one and people still buy it.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

New is different and a lot of people don't like change. We have bad acoustic memories too.

Try micing the same cabinet with both mics in question before you wax about how great things sounded back in the day and how they now suck.....

-tINY

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i have been trying a few different mics on guitar cabs lately and after a little while of getting frustrated, i put the 609 (silver) back on it.

I really thought that a condencer was going to work better but so far it just hasn't
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
suposedly the newest 409 incarnation kicks the 609's ass. its the 906.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a 906 as well. It's more versatile since it has a cut/flat/boost switch. It gives you the sound of the 609 silver, and gets pretty close to the sound of the 609 black and the 409.

smarsland...it's about production cost....if they were to build the 409 today, the price would have to be too high to realize comfortable profits.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have even liked mine for vocals once in a blue moon. I saw Daniel Lanois play live about a year ago and he had them (old 409's) on his ac30 and as his lead vocal mic.

I think they sound like a 57 without the mid spike and more bass. I am about to track right now (guitar)...waiting for the late client...I think I will try the 609 again today.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
How are the 609 silvers on toms? Anyone use them this way?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i'm interested in hearing more about the differance between the 609 silver and the new 906

anyone?
Old 14th November 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years
i'm interested in hearing more about the differance between the 609 silver and the new 906

anyone?
I have a endorsement deal with sennheiser UK. The sales director assured me there is no difference between 609 standard vs silver...I've just been sent the 906's...haven't put them in front of anything yet...will post when I do.....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cletus,

i have used the 609 on snare with good effect...

sdf
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 906 will sound almost exactly like the 609 silver with the switch in the high boost setting. Set it flat and you get in the 409 area. Lowpass it, and you have the 609 Black.

That's pretty much the idea behind the 906; all 3 sounds in one. No matter the setting, the highs and lows/low mids are not quite as sweet and open as the original.

For live use, the 906 is a good alternative to risking damage or loss of the real deal as they have gotten pretty pricey. For studio use, you'll notice more of a difference which may be critical depending on how picky you are heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus
How are the 609 silvers on toms? Anyone use them this way?
I use them all the time. They're not appropriate for all styles, but they deliver nice punch and presence for rockier popier stuff, I'll go to them at least for rack toms. The floor tom still gets a 421 most times (unless I use the drum closet, in which case space is often an issue)

the 609's are great if only for their low-profile positionability. For drummers with a dozen cymbals mounted right above their racks, this is nice.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've used the silvers on toms, pretty good, loads of lows and great isolation, still like 421's better, but there is a 8:1 price difference (here in oz anyway)

but if i only had 609 silver for toms id be fine with that.
Lives for gear

We're all DEVO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck1r0ck2
see DE-VO....
Old 4th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
mic-ing guitar cabs

I have a E609 silver and maybe I have a bad one my friend raves about it, but I find it thin on cabs or snare tom's ok, but nothing to rave about, my 835 sounds much better. I have found a few mic's that sound awesome on cab's, a Cad duel ribbon and a d189 and a TGX-50 I also use some old 57's and Turner mic's they have a darker sound... less nasal. I use a MP2500 AudioWorks pre and I always use 2 or 3 mic's when tracking. Doyen www.audiohipster.com
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The only two dynamics I have are a 57 and a silver e609. I much prefer the e609 on guitar most of the time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I find my 609 silver to be hit and miss. On the other hand it lives under my snare granted that mic doesn't get used often but when it does it love it. I find it acceptable on toms. It was awesome on the chanter of a bagpipe.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Blast from the past!!!

I have used the 609 on GTR's with a Langevin AM6 for the preamp the GTRs sound killer. I roll a ili top off the 609 with the eq on the Langevin to help lessen the brightness.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeceebee ➑️
57's smooth??!?

I've always found them to be one of the peakiest, least open-sounding mics in the cupboard-
Try it on a pre w/a low impedence (300Ω or so) setting or strapping a 560Ω resistor across pins 2 and 3 of a cable - becomes a whole new mic.

Don't forget 57's were designed in 1965, when pre's averaged about 600Ω in (now they avg about 1.5K, allowing them to "load down the mic" less).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➑️
Try micing the same cabinet with both mics in question before you wax about how great things sounded back in the day and how they now suck.....
Have done it with the mics in question (MD409 and e609 silver) and there's no question to my ears in the superiority of the 409. Like, MILES apart.

I've heard some recorded clips (perhaps here) comparing both those mics and the (even) newer 906, which sounded fairly pleasant. I still prefered the 409 in that particular sample, but the sound of the 906 was VERY close to the sound of the 409.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I regularly use e609's and e906's, but keep the 609's out for "beater" mics, capturing ideas but not final recordings. The 906 sounds bigger, with wider capture of the frequencies. It is a very fast and punchy mic, excellent for lead guitar. Neither one is as detailed, as flat, or as ultimately useful as the PR-30, which is in the same league (but in 1st place). Just my 2 cents.
πŸ“ Reply