The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL 2Control - headphone noise
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear
SPL 2Control - headphone noise

I just bought one and I'm very surprised by the amount of noise in the headphone amps. Anyone with the same experience?
The headphone amp on my Fireface800 is dead quiet but with the SPL it is very noticeable. The noise is just static - its there even when the amps are turned all the way down so its not my system. Could it be an impedance thing? Ive tried with some Beyer Dynamic DT331 (40 Ohm) and Extreme Isolation (32 Ohm).
Old 3rd June 2010
Lives for gear
update. I bought some Sennheiser HD650, wich are 300ohm, and the noise is completely gone.
Still pretty disapointing that i cant use my other headphones without noise issues.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear
Check if that is really the source.. noise might come from various sources...
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvS View Post
I just bought one and I'm very surprised by the amount of noise in the headphone amps. Anyone with the same experience?
The headphone amp on my Fireface800 is dead quiet but with the SPL it is very noticeable. The noise is just static - its there even when the amps are turned all the way down so its not my system. Could it be an impedance thing? Ive tried with some Beyer Dynamic DT331 (40 Ohm) and Extreme Isolation (32 Ohm).
Sorry to Revue this thread but i have exactly the same problem! My 70ohm Sennheisers hd25-1 pick up a lot of noise, the 300ohm Sennheisers 650 are way more quiet, but not perfect!
I can't believe the Hradphone amps are so noisy when turned down. The headphone amp on my SM Patch is more quiet than this!
Noise is always present, as standalone or with balanced cables patched in.

Is this a known issue or the way the SPL is?
I'm bummed right now, this unit is supposed to be hi-end and co$$ts not little... But noisy amplifiers?
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

My SPL 2Control is nice and quiet. Maybe yours needs repair.

Do you have any gear with big transformers close by either the 2Control or the headphones? Sometimes just moving the gear around can help.
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

I've also plugged just the 2control into a wall socket in different rooms, nothing attached other than power and headphones.
As OP said the self noise is always present regardless of attached equipment/distance to things. Its there voth when headphone amps are all the way to left or when gaining, and it doesn't really "increase" or decrease with gain. It's just there.

It becomes WAY more noticeable with 70ohm cans, it's barely perceptible (but still "annoying") with 300ohm cans and it's gone with 600ohm cans.

With 70ohm cans it's so hissy that they are unusable at normal listening levels!!!!!
With 300ohm it's ok once music plays, the signal covers the hiss at normal to quiet levels.

Spl manual states that the design is "for headphones from 30ohm to 600ohm". I wonder if it's a flaw?

What cans do you use with it? Maybe try 70ohm cabs and let us know how it fares?

Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

I use Sennheiser HD650, Sennheiser HD280, and Etymotic ER-4S. No problems.
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Those are 300ohms other than the etymotic at 100ohms if I'm correct?

You have dead silence when the headphone amp is turned down?
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

HD280: 64 ohms
HD650:300 ohms
ER-4S: 100 ohms

I think a better way to say what I am saying is that I don't have a noticeable noise problem. There will always be a little gain-dependent noise. I definitely don't have the problem you are describing, where there is a gain-independent, ever present noise.
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Hmmmm thanks. Still do you notice more noise with your lower z cans than with the Senns 650s?
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

I don't, but that could be me and what I use these for. If I have critical listening to do, I use the HD650s. If I just want them for overdubs, I use the others. I'm not listening for noise when I overdub.

On the other hand, if it was anything other than normal, I think I would notice it. I'm pretty sensitive to noises that should not be there. The little noise I experience with my 2Control seems normal to me.
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

Anybody else?
Old 15th February 2015
Here for the gear
I have had the exact same experience. I use Shure SRH940 which are 42 Ohm. The inherent noise floor is high enough to interfere with discerning reverb tails and the such. Pretty unacceptable.
Old 18th July 2015
Here for the gear

I have exactly same problem, does not matter on cans or speakers...
Old 18th July 2015
Lives for gear

I sold mine within a week of getting it. Unacceptable indeed, for a $300+ unit

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search