The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
La2a or tube-tech cl1b?
Old 4th July 2012
Jai guru deva om

Also worth a mention, the TLA-50 half rack unit has the absolute identical compressor section as the TLA100A. They only differ in tone. When we were setting things up to run the Summit line through the Clipalator here, I used tones to make sure these two were absolutely set up the same with threshold etc in advance of each clip.

No difference in action, they will essentially null concerning attack / release.

They do differ in TONE, the TLA-50 having a more present sort of sound where the TLA-100A has a smoother and richer depth to it.

War
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I really love the TLA100A as well, its such easy control to dial in and for vocal tracking in particular really excels.
I picked up one used and couldn't be happier. Sometimes I run it in series with a Mohog 1176. Two different complementary colors.

-R
Old 4th July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
I realize this thread is probably long dead and the question long decided but for anyone else that runs into this conundrum:

Summit Audio TLA-100 is a better option for being similar to the LA2A.

If you had to decide between the two I'd have to honestly say the answer is: 2 TLA-100s and 1 LA2A.

really? I used to own a TLA 100 for years, I'll take a CL1b over that any day of the week, which I did, when I sold my TLA 100 and got a CL1b, it's not even close.
Old 16th July 2012
Lives for gear

Tube Tech, LA2a, 1176

The LA-2a was designed as a leveling amplifier and so it has an inherently designed in "attack" speed opitimized for this task. The LA-2a also has a "thickening" effect that happens just by passing audio through all the tubes and transformers regardless of whether you're dialing in gain reduction. I like to set the LA-2a so that the vocal is barely touching compression on moderate peak loud passages.

In my experience the LA-2a is not fast enough on the attack for dynamic rock vocalists, nasty peaks can slip through and you can never get rid of them.

I've tried putting it in series with a faster compressor first to catch big peaks but this sounds overly processed to me and I would not like to commit to that during tracking.

The Tube Tech comp is very adjustable and great sounding, lots of tubes and transistors, it gets a lot of love on GS but I'm totally content with the sound of an 1176 for tracking vocals. It has the classic sound of rock and pop IMHO.

Good luck with your quest and good music to all!
Old 29th October 2012
I like the LA-3A a lot. Slightly faster than the 2A. But the CL1B is nasty and I find it can do a little bit more than the the LAs. For instance, I'd never use an LA comp on drums, but the CL1B can sound great on a snare.
Old 29th October 2012
Gear Maniac

does anybody know of a la2a or 1176 style comp for 500 series. I wish tubetech would get into the 500 series market
Old 29th October 2012
Gear Nut

Api 525, a happy medium!!
Old 29th October 2012
Gear Maniac

I was thinking about picking one of those up
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post

The Tube Tech comp is very adjustable and great sounding, lots of tubes and transistors, it gets a lot of love on GS but I'm totally content with the sound of an 1176 for tracking vocals. It has the classic sound of rock and pop IMHO.

Good luck with your quest and good music to all!
i also favor the 1176 for vocal.... the la2 i normally use for bass guitars and backing vocals. i love the la3 on drums and guitar... Cl1b is more transparent than all of the above.. and though i always had good results with it (especially on bass and vocals)... lately i've been favoring the urei/UA stuff more... much more character and punch.
Old 12th January 2013
Here for the gear

A vintage well maintained LA-2A for tone, CL1B for versatility.
Old 13th January 2013
"Tubes, transistors, transformers, thickening," yadayadayada! All well and good for you seasoned pros, but does anybody know where one who doesn't have access to the actual units can HEAR a track With and Without?
Level Matched tracks?
With LA2A and without LA2A? With 1176 and without? With CL1B and without?
It would sure help in understanding what all the fuss is about these units and their mythical proportions of mojo.
Anybody??
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlordpriest View Post
"Tubes, transistors, transformers, thickening," yadayadayada! All well and good for you seasoned pros, but does anybody know where one who doesn't have access to the actual units can HEAR a track With and Without?
Level Matched tracks?
With LA2A and without LA2A? With 1176 and without? With CL1B and without?
It would sure help in understanding what all the fuss is about these units and their mythical proportions of mojo.
Anybody??
if you want to pay for the time, you can send me some tracks and i can run them through a Urei 1176, Urei LA 3A, and Teletronix LA 2A.
they all have a unique sound......... all sound great!
i dont have a CL 1B, so i cant help you there.
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

I can run them through an 1176, LA2A and Portico 5043 and will charge $1 less than skyblue rental.
Old 18th February 2013
Gear Addict

I'm renting the Tubetech right now.... have to return it tomorrow

I LOVE THIS DAMN THING!!........ When it's available, it is THE voc comp for me. I love the La2a as well. Used them many times.
I'll say this about those.....and while we're on the topic of opto comps, I'll throw in the ADL1000 as well(essentially a modern La2a)...... I find the Tubetech to more forgiving when driven hard. The ADL1000 tends to "overdrive" when pushed hard. With an La2a you're never quite sure what you're going to get, unless you own one and keep it in tip top shape. I've heard some that were bright and edgy, others dark and wooly.
To me the Tubetech is a bit brighter and more "open" on top then the other two. It does take a little more tweaking to dial it in, but I'm use to it now.

My 2cents
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buss-me View Post
With an La2a you're never quite sure what you're going to get, unless you own one and keep it in tip top shape. I've heard some that were bright and edgy, others dark and wooly.
I have found that something as simple as tube rolling can have that effect. Right now I am using some old RCA. But when I switch to some high end Telefunken the change is immediate and more clear and tight as opposed to the slightly darker and more pleasantly distorted sound with the RCA.

I never thought changing tubes could really make that much difference but it is more noticeable in the LA2A than other gear I have tested.
Old 18th February 2013
The tube tech is more versatile and the LA2A is more "fool proof". The tube Tech also has a bit more sheen to it in a way that just sounds "classy".
Old 19th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buss-me View Post
I'm renting the Tubetech right now.... have to return it tomorrow

I LOVE THIS DAMN THING!!........ When it's available, it is THE voc comp for me. I love the La2a as well. Used them many times.
I'll say this about those.....and while we're on the topic of opto comps, I'll throw in the ADL1000 as well(essentially a modern La2a)...... I find the Tubetech to more forgiving when driven hard. The ADL1000 tends to "overdrive" when pushed hard. With an La2a you're never quite sure what you're going to get, unless you own one and keep it in tip top shape. I've heard some that were bright and edgy, others dark and wooly.
To me the Tubetech is a bit brighter and more "open" on top then the other two. It does take a little more tweaking to dial it in, but I'm use to it now.

My 2cents
Unfortunately there is a funny thing with the ADL that kind of thins out your audio a bit and can make things sound a little harsh. I think Anthony doesn't use the greatest transformers in it. The good news is though that can be modded to sound killer
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Sorry for reviving the thread!
But if you track with the Cl1B and in the mix run the vocals through an la2a. Will this be overkill or the
perfect combination?

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

bob2018, it depends on the transient nature of the vocalist. It can be just the ticket or as you say, too much. Also depends on how hard you compress on the tracking side. Tonally however, it can work. The CL1B as everyone has pointed out has versatility i.e. side chain, speed and it has a lot of features for adjustment. It's modern sounding and is great for most vocalists and bass guitar.

The LA2A is a very known, thick rich sound and that's what you use it for, "that sound". I don't like it on bass but on most vocals it's a very viable option. Not fast however. For a rock singer or highly dynamic singer there are better options than both i.e. 1176, LA3A.

These days, the Retro is becoming another well liked option. I have this on my list of future try outs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
For vocals and bass neither - I'd be buying a Retro STA Level.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search