The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pro tools 8 HD vs LE
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddyleewannabe View Post
Does reducing the buffer setting down to 256 bps or 128 bps to get rid of the delay in the headphones during recording cause a reduction in the sonic quality of the recorded source when played back?
No ,buffer setting got nothing to do with sound quality .
Old 7th July 2011
Here for the gear

Protools

I’m in a very similar situation. I currently have pro tools 7.3 with a 002 but will be upgrading to PT 8 plus will be getting the mercury bundle. In a couple of years after I save a little more I was thinking of upgrading to HD which I can get used for about 4k. I don’t live off of my studio; I just use it for my own recordings and to bring in a little extra cash. If my goal is to improve the overall quality of my recordings would it be wiser to invest those 4k into an HD system or on preamps, mics, etc. It seems to me that most, not all, of the advantages of HD are for convenience. Obviously the pro system will function better than the semi pro one. To make a long story short, in my situation is the money better spent on the HD system, or on a really nice preamp and mic?
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

Wait a minute, in LE/PT9, YES reducing the buffer will reduce the delay (latency) while recording. NO, it has nothing to do with the recording quality, but can sure mess with the timing of the player/singer.
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

To those spouting out 10k, you are clueless! Today, and a year ago the costs were nowhere near that. A year ago you could get and HD2 PCIe for 4800 and a 192 I/O for 2000. ALL BRAND NEW!!

I bought over 10 of them in that time frame.

Today you can get an HD2 PCIe and a 192 I/O for 5100.

Know your facts!
Old 13th August 2011
Gear Nut

l'm going through the transition from LE to HD - so I thought I'd share

after a few days on HD - well...I'm not intending to go back to LE

not that my workflow has changed dramatically, but because I have peace of mind

1. I can add tracks without fear of running out of the ability to add tracks - that really really means MUCH to me (although rtas still can get eaten up quick if you are VI heavy...I'm rewire reaper to handle VI's - hey nothing's perfect - but reaper is almost close with respect to POWER...it's still no PT for editing though...least not yet - I'm in their camp however - routing!!!)

2. TDM plugs running off the power of my HD 2 accel system are simply WAY MORE Stable then anything I have experienced with LE (and I have travelled with LE for 10 years...the original mbox, then an mbox pro, then a digi 003r

I'm feeling the peace that HD has brought me - and, i can put a price on it...today...a tad over $2k

ha ha

1. one used digi 192 - $799.00
2. one used core card (PCI) $689.00
3. one used accel card (PCI) $619.00
4. one used copy of PTHD 8 with ilok transfer $80.00

I was lucky enough to already be using a dell 690 (qualified to run HD)

so really by the time I sold my 003r and mbox pro - my cost to go HD was under $1500

come-on guys - that's freaking worth the move...ha ha....least from my humble perspective

just though to share

what made the trip really cheap was that nothing was wasted in the transition - I kept my pres and plugs and mixer...i simply changed 'the tape machine'

worth every penny - ha ha - back in the 80's you'd pay 2600 for an 8bit sampler...we cetainly have advanced now haven't we

do yourselves a fav - go HD
Old 14th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmusic View Post

1. I can add tracks without fear of running out of the ability to add tracks - that really really means MUCH to me (although rtas still can get eaten up quick if you are VI heavy...I'm rewire reaper to handle VI's - hey nothing's perfect - but reaper is almost close with respect to POWER...it's still no PT for editing though...least not yet - I'm in their camp however - routing!!!)

2. TDM plugs running off the power of my HD 2 accel system are simply WAY MORE Stable then anything I have experienced with LE (and I have travelled with LE for 10 years...the original mbox, then an mbox pro, then a digi 003r

I'm feeling the peace that HD has brought me - and, i can put a price on it...today...a tad over $2k

ha ha

so really by the time I sold my 003r and mbox pro - my cost to go HD was under $1500

come-on guys - that's freaking worth the move...ha ha....least from my humble perspective

just though to share

what made the trip really cheap was that nothing was wasted in the transition - I kept my pres and plugs and mixer...i simply changed 'the tape machine'

worth every penny - ha ha - back in the 80's you'd pay 2600 for an 8bit sampler...we cetainly have advanced now haven't we

Where did you get a 192 for that?

Is a 96io or a 192 digital?
Old 15th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmusic View Post

ha ha

just though to share

That's it right there: the certainty of the system's capabilities and stability. LE is dependent on the host whereas HD or TDM systems take the processing load off the host machine for the most part...which is mostly irrelevant now due to the state of the art as far as computing goes, which Avid has addressed in the current line-up. If you need VCA groups, ultra-low latency, full featured automation, recording at 192kHz, input monitoring and/or work with picture, HD is the way to go. Don't believe me? go check Avid | Pro Tools Compare

If you're patient or lucky and have the cash and are prepared to MOVE (all of the above fortunately apply to me), deals pop up all the time. It's been under a year since I joined the club, but I've upgraded twice (HD2 to HD3, then Process cards to Accel), and have plans to do so again (Intel MacPro, chassis, more Accel cards and dump the Process for HD6 Accel)...all because of the increase in business from making the jump.

Make sure the stuff is all transferred into your name by the registered owner or you will get NO support...Avid takes care of its customers.
Old 19th August 2011
Gear Nut

Hi - ebay is your solution - I have seen items that I have purchased going for even less then I have quoted as recently as a few weeks ago

to answer the question raised: it is a 192 digital I purchased - fully functional

really, a full blown HD (PCI) accel system, just ain't a ton-o-cash today - flush le (least on your main studio rig) cause it's big brother (HD) is cheap

that is if you do it like I did - over time, watching for bargins - everyday, with cash in hand!

goodluck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search