The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Joe Meek VC7. Seeking Alan Hyatt and others' help.
Old 27th January 2004
WDG
Gear Head

Alan, I hate to beat a dead horse on this but my Meek VS1Q is serial #[21]100184x does it have the transformer?
Old 27th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by WDG
Alan, I hate to beat a dead horse on this but my Meek VS1Q is serial #[21]100184x does it have the transformer?
I do not find that Serial Number in my files. I find VC1Q-1001184 sold to MARS, and I find # VC1Q-1001840, also sold to MARS, but not any number you have. These both would be transformer units.
Old 28th January 2004
WDG
Gear Head

#[21]1001842 is the exact serial number and I did buy it from Mars.
Old 1st July 2007
Gear Nut

I have a VC7 and love it. It's remarkably crisp and clean but has enough warmth and thickness to make it a Meek. I usually pair it up with a SC2 or Peavey VC/L 2 compressor. Sounds great on some vocals but I've found the most use for it on acoustic guitars and bass (paired with a DBX 160VU compressor)
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackstudios View Post
I have a VC7 and love it. It's remarkably crisp and clean but has enough warmth and thickness to make it a Meek. I usually pair it up with a SC2 or Peavey VC/L 2 compressor. Sounds great on some vocals but I've found the most use for it on acoustic guitars and bass (paired with a DBX 160VU compressor)
I've got access to a VC7 and yesterday I noticed that the XLR PIN3 is hot on the outputs. I checked several times with some other preamps because the instruction manual says pin2 is hot. Any comments on that perhaps?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardinen View Post
I've got access to a VC7 and yesterday I noticed that the XLR PIN3 is hot on the outputs. I checked several times with some other preamps because the instruction manual says pin2 is hot. Any comments on that perhaps?
Does not surprise me. Back then under Ted Fletcher's regime, there were many assembly and technical issues. One of them was jack's being wired improperly. You can fix it, but will have to open the unit and re-solder the wires. Still a good sounding box...
Old 3rd November 2009
Gear Head

Old post but...

I also have VC7 and I think it is fine pre amp. I asked about if from TFPRO-forum and I was surprised to hear how rare this unit really is:

TFPRO • View topic - Joemeek VC7
Old 27th September 2010
Gear Nut

VC7 Sum / Difference Wiring Question

I'm rewiring my patch bays and would like to incorporate the VC7's Sum/Difference 1/4" outputs into my setup (in addition to the normal XLR outputs).

Are these Sum/Difference outputs balanced or unbalanced? Does one set of outputs take priority over another when the are both wired up? (similar to some line/lxr inputs on some gear).
Old 29th June 2017
Gear Nut

Selling my Joe Meek VC-7

Check the Gearslutz classifieds for my Joe Meek VC7 Listing...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear