Away...

Gilmour
Waters
Barrett
Wright
Mason

Parsons

PINK FLOYD - the Collective

Some people use the sounds of Guns, Wars, Machines, Dictators, the screaming of People in agony, memorable Speeches, Choir, Preachers, voices of Children, sounds of Whales,etc ... to personify Atrocity/Hardship/Torment/Sin/Illusion/Insanity/Lies/Hope/Understanding/Freedom/Luxury/Escape etc.

The brilliance of Pink Floyd

understood all it would take to evoke any and all emotion...

the sound of a cash register. !!

that sound could mean :

A War has been started
A War has been ended
Someone gets to eat and pay rent
Someone doesnt get to eat or pay rent
Species of Animals are pulled away from the brink of extinction
Species of Animals are pulled closer to the brink of extinction
Technologies are created to help others
Technologies are created to destroy others
Lines are drawn
Lines are broken
Rules are made
Rules are Unmade
Forums are kept running
Forums are closed down
Companies are invested in and flourish
Companies are devastated and sold off
You get to buy that Instrument you've always wanted
You have to sell that Instrument you've always loved
Your Relationships are the best they've ever been
Your Relationships have been tarnished to the point of seperation
etc

ALL from ONE distinctive sound forever imprinted from One distinctive Album. (the first Pink Floyd ever created from start with an idea that all songs be connected in a way to express One Ideal).

Brilliance !!!

and yet some of those among us thought and i quote
" You mean that song wasnt about making Big Stacks and Pimpin' sick Tracks" ?

I might need some of the meds Syd has been taking ??

and whats truly profound?
this wasnt even the most brilliant song on the Album

IMHO

Breathe

"Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."

When was the first time you ever heard this album?
for me i have photos of myself at 4 years (1984) with the biggest headphones on (covering nearly my entire head) listening to DSOTM on vinyl
What does this album mean to you?
to me , ive never heard an album since interest me not only Sonically as much as DSOTM (some come close) but socially as well especially today with current events
Is it Pink Floyds greatest contribution?
i humbly think it was
Interested to hear your thoughts...
Old 16th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuRnitUpsuM View Post

When was the first time you ever heard this album?
I heard 'Money' as a single on the radio when it was released in 73'. I first heard it on my transister AM radio that was attached to the handlebars of my bicycle. I will never forget that day. I knew right away I had to go buy that record.
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

Never knew Barret was involved in Money...
Old 16th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Not involved perhaps, but continued to have an influence.

DSOTM is the reason I got interested in audio and recording. I was about 12 when it came out, when I heard it every track made me think, how did they do that. As I grew up the lyrical content began to have meaning and the circle was complete. Prety much the perfect record (if such a thing can exist).
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

Not to get nostalgic - but when I was a kid, after my parents divorced, my father and I would listen to records every Thursday night.

He had this headphone splitter and he'd put the records on......he'd sit on the chair, and I'd be on the couch, and we'd listen to Tull, Zeppelin, Hendrix, etc...... but the one we'd listen to most was Dark Side of the Moon. I would get so excited when I heard the needle drop. Every fukking time. I was out of breath with excitement.

Those nights are what made me want to make records. Plain and simple.
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

This may sound weird but to this very day... whenever i'm on an airplane that's cleared for liftoff... just before the wheels leave the ground and just before you feel that rush of g-force acting upon your body... i start to play the intro to DSOTM in my head... Intro (screams) > Breathe starts... why? cause that's what it felt like the first time i ever heard it...
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

I STILL hear it and think "How did they do that?"

That album works on so many levels. I don't remember when I first heard it in its entirety. Probably around 1984, as well. On cassette. I bought the vinyl almost immediately.

When I went to Abbey Road for a mastering session in 2003, I was penty psyched about the Beatles stuff done there, but I was REALLY psyched about all the Pink Floyd stuff that was done there. And I loved seeing the early promo shot hanging in the stairwell.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Barrett indirectly/directly influenced everything Pink Floyd did between 1968 and The Wall. Also being a founding member how can you leave him out?
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

All

Enjoying reading the memories. Its really what its all about. Everyone exhibits such sincerity. Hoping more folks roll back the time clocks and share.

a "perfect" record? if perfection is a perspective... whose to say it isnt?
Old 17th April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJamesGoody View Post
Not to get nostalgic - but when I was a kid, after my parents divorced, my father and I would listen to records every Thursday night.

He had this headphone splitter and he'd put the records on......he'd sit on the chair, and I'd be on the couch, and we'd listen to Tull, Zeppelin, Hendrix, etc...... but the one we'd listen to most was Dark Side of the Moon. I would get so excited when I heard the needle drop. Every fukking time. I was out of breath with excitement.

Those nights are what made me want to make records. Plain and simple.
That's what music's about.
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

Absolutely James !

when was the first time you ever heard Dark Side of the Moon ? fond memory?
Old 17th April 2010

Quote:
Absolutely James !

when was the first time you ever heard Dark Side of the Moon ? fond memory?
You know I'm 46, DSOTM was a hair before my time, I mean I heard it growing up but The Wall was high school for me and the record I really grew up with.
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Barrett indirectly/directly influenced everything Pink Floyd did between 1968 and The Wall. Also being a founding member how can you leave him out?
Yeah, but for me his influence ended before DSOTM. Sort of.
IMO the band started taking the sound into a completely different direction.
So maybe he was sort of an inspiration, but not a direct influence.
It's just that i don't hear a lot of his influences (like the earlier stuff) in their later works.
It's hard to explain i guess
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernelpanic View Post
Prety much the perfect record (if such a thing can exist).
DSOTM is my favorite piece of art in any medium, ever. Only Kid A comes remotely close in my eyes.

The one, the only, perfect record.
Old 17th April 2010
Gear Maniac

I used to stay up all night long and read Louis L'amour Books and listen to dark side. No need for e or lsd, read "haunted mesa" and listen to that record on phones...amazing sonics. But, more importantly one of the most profound lyrical/musical statements to date. Transcends social, economic, political bounds not to mention musical genres and takes you to a place very human, spiritual and etherial all at once.

I reserve that particular album for the pantheon.

Yeah, Just me and the coyotes listening to DSOTM. Those were the days as they say...

Nathan.
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

I'll never forget listening to dsotm on my friends Panasonic quad stereo. Back then we used to enjoy the music the fidelity of certain records and dsotm was one of them.
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

Aol dsotm

DSOTM is the bar. I just discovered the new ALO album "man of the world" and had a great DSOTM like experience... 1st album in a long long time I can listen thru and again and again.. sonically fantastic... tuned our new CR and balanced the mains and the subs with that album spinning thru the system.

it ain't as deep or heavy as dsotm. but it has it's messages and its very well done.

i enjoyed it a lot.
thumbsup
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

James,

all good thumbsup

Have a few years on me... 30 here

ha! remembering/recalling my High School days first thing i remember is the familiarity i had with the prinicipals office lol and how well the secretaries knew my name and seemed to already have that pink slip filled out ,pre-prepped. Then the memories of skippin classes to hang out with a friend and his older sisters and their friends at the pool halls before dashing back to the house ... G n R on a then Loud System and alot of smilin' !. good times...

but ive never forgotten those (at the time) weird sounds i heard so young... ive never put the headphones down and still to this day have that record.

The Wall thumbsup
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLStudios View Post
Yeah I was about 17 when I heard dsotm and I had just discovered smoking pot, masterbation, and music other than pop music.

dsotm was definately my fav album at the time to masterbate to.

It was very profound.
lol
whatever floats your boat...

just make sure you keep away from the Walls (no pun intended) while you practice injuries happen that way.
Old 18th April 2010
Lives for gear

It's funny I had this good friend in school about 1978 that loved Pink Floyd "Animals". I used to tease him about it because of the animal sounds, but I never really had a listen to it properly. Then I left school in 1979. Early in 1980 I first heard "Wish You were here". I absolutely loved it and quickly put it alongside my then favourite album: Led Zeppelin's "Physical Graffitti" as my most played record. Then I heard "Dark Side of The Moon", and the brand new "Wall" album. I became a Floyd fanatic. Finally I actually Listened to "Animals", and while not my favourite I grew to like that one too. Then "Meddle", "Saucer full of Secret" etc etc........the rest is history..........my grown up kids all own copies of those Floyd albums, and Zep albums these days too.
I still think I put "Dark Side of the Moon" up there pretty close to the top of my list from an engineering point of view, and as a guitarist no one else has influenced my playing more than Gilmour..
Old 18th April 2010
Gear Maniac

i'm just wonderin' if waters/gilmour saw syd barrett's inadvertent rebellion towards societal constraints (due to mental sickness) as an inspiration for some of the themes posed in dsotm? I dunno, just a thought to ponder.

Jay, i remember the jhs/hs office oh too well...haha.

Possibly the ideas of autonomy/rebellion in pink floyd's music resonate so strongly with ados/teens cuz' of the hormonal/mental changes occurring, IDK.

Or, maybe it was just the good pot! thumbsup

careful with the masturbating tho, you might skip the needle or drop ur joint.

Great Album, nothing these days comes close, imo. (i kno, i sound like a geezer-38yo here)

good thread, takes me back. Thx Jay!

Nathan.
Old 18th April 2010
Gear Addict

I love dark side but it's got to be The Wall for me.

"I've got nicotine stains on my fingers
I've got a silver spoon on a chain
And a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains."
Old 18th April 2010
Lives for gear

You all are proof there are really good people out there... !!

to fill out the rest of the message and promote the use of vinyl !

sleeves alil weathered.. but it is what its protecting that counts (which still plays beautifully). I have created wavs from it for everyday listening... but once in a while when i can sit and appreciate the beautiful crackle of a Record.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search