The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"St Anger"
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

"St Anger"

I just heard the title track from the new Metallica record.I don't know if it's me but I think it sounds like shit.Any opinions?

Peace
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Addict

It's not just you. Musically, the album is a failed atempt to recapture what they once were. If you were referring to the sonics of the album, then this may shed some light on why it sucks...

Lifted from blabbermouth.net

METALLICA's ULRICH: 'St. Anger' Is 'The Loudest Album Ever Mastered!' - Apr. 10, 2003

METALLICA are in the process of mastering their eighth studio album, "St. Anger", in New York City for a June 10 release through Elektra Records. "Mastering today went better than hoped," drummer Lars Ulrich posted to the "Jump In The Studio" section of the band's official web site Wednesday (April 9). "I think this could be the LOUDEST album ever mastered. It's FUCKING LOUD! You know, the cut of it to disc, you already know about the music."
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear
How many Metallica fans are there??? Anyhow, this album was poorly recorded, poorly mixed and poorly master. And, the over the top loud mastering only makes it sound worse than it already is.

Steve
www.mojopie.com
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

This sux ass hard....

The do what they did so fucking well so why didnt they just make 'kill em all', 'master of puppets' , 'black' or 'justice...' part 2?

The drums tones suck ass hard and whats with thats shitty snare tone?

Man.. i can air drum to the whole black album but i wont even put in the time to 'learn' this album.... dispaointed. It seems as tho its meant to be 'lo-fi' ala 'New Rock' or 'garage rock'?... hmm perhaps james better get back on the booze, Lars make bigger statements than he already does, Kirk hammet to come out of the shadows and the new dude?....

A big X against Bob 'GOD of heavy music' Rock.

hmmm disapointed.

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut

A big X against Bob 'GOD of heavy music' Rock.

hmmm disapointed.

Cheers
Wiggy
I have yet to hear it, but maybe Bob started winning more arguments? or did he start losing them....
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

I'm genuinely split on the disc (which I just bought today)... but here's a few disclaimers:

1) I grew up on Metallica. No question about it, they were one of the two bands that got me into music (Nirvana is the second- how cliche am I?)
2) I never was one of the people who called them a sellout in the Black->Reload era. I even liked some parts of those albums and found the sound refreshing- who are they selling out to, the zombie country crowd? Come on lol. If they really were sell outs, they would have just catered to the metal crowd that was giving them shit and witholding their $$, so I respected that they were doing their own thing.
3) I think Garage Inc. was lame, agreed with their (horribly voiced) stance against Napster, and S&M was a total joke.
4) When they announced they were touring with Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, the two bands which have ruined modern rock music (Ok, Creed and Staind had their role too) and read that they were using 7 string guitars, I had to call "sell out" on them. Now they clearly were trying to pander to the 'nu-metal' generation.

Now on to this disc:
This is, in my opinion, the most "retarded" non-freshman album released by anyone ever. The lyrics are completely idiotic, the vocal lines seem improvised, and for the most part, the various riffs don't gel whatsoever. Oh and this is the least dynamic album of all time, with one of the strangest productions I have ever ever ever heard.

All that said, some tracks had me grinning from ear to ear and I really did find myself getting into it. There is no question that at least instrumentally, they have all the nu-metal bands crushed just in terms of retarded choppy metal riffs that sound larger than life. The drums were a total joke- protooled to hell, and they sound like they were recorded in a very small concrete and sheet metal room. Very very very very strange sounding but didn't bother me as much as it perplexed me, and some of the drum stuff was obviously trying to cop the Danny Carey 'TOOL' vibe with the open snare, what not, etc. The whole thing is so choppy- like you can hear various tracks cutting off abruptly.

But on some level, I really found the stupidity of it charming and almost intentional. Watching the DVD, this seemed like something that Lars, James, and Kirk really planned out- it seemed like a real concerted effort to sound the way they did, and they played all the songs straight through rather effortlessly. So I do believe that the total sloppyness and choppyness is intentional- and I think that there is something cool about it. I just don't think it's at all musical or memorable. More of a statement then any of their last records though.

So on the whole, I find some of it fun in a guilty pleasure sort of a way, and the rest of it moronic. Which would make it about a 6/10 for me. Easily more listenable than a Linkin Park album.

Can someone tell me if this album really was recorded live? Also- do we buy that the CD sounds (sonically) the way it does on purpose- or is this just the band gone mental?

Last thought- Robert Trujilo is a dumbass who thinks he is sabertooth from X-Men. He was a real joke to watch, wheras the rest of the band seemed very professional. Kirk especially, which was amazing (he was carrying the vast vast vast majority of the heavy rhythm duties- extremely admirably too).
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Nut

BattleAngel said...
Now on to this disc:
This is, in my opinion, the most "retarded" non-freshman album released by anyone ever. The lyrics are completely idiotic, the vocal lines seem improvised, and for the most part, the various riffs don't gel whatsoever. Oh and this is the least dynamic album of all time, with one of the strangest productions I have ever ever ever heard.

----I agree with BattleAngel 100%. Not only are the lyrics idiotic...but the vocals just seem half-assed and don't sit well. Also, Metallica is one of those riff based bands that makes people wanna learn their riffs (and maybe butcher em up at geetar center)....hey guitar players...do you wanna learn any riffs of this album?? I don't...they just aren't memorable and go nowhere. Finally, is it just me or does the DVD sound better than the CD...not great by any means, just better.

Matt (Don't get me started on that snare. )
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

Oh yeah- way better than the CD. That's because there don't seem to be any tricks on it- and they've always had a great live sound.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

Never been a Metallica fan...but Oh my god that drum/snare is atrocious...."Madly in anger with you"...jeez don't even get me started on the lyrics.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

lol no kidding
Old 10th June 2003
lol, I hated that snare too, I just can't listen to the whole track, sounds awful
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Head

Sounds like A.S.S

Ugh... This has got to be the worst metallica release ever.. Nothing impresses me about this whole cd... It sounds like total A.S.S. I can't believe that anyone with any sense would enjoy the way this thing sounds. My god the mix sucks, the lyrics suck, the production on a whole is just sad... Bob Rock sure seems like someone who shouldn't be let anywhere near any kind of recording equipment ever... dfegad on metallica and Bob Rock.
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Maniac

I'll say that I think it sucks pretty bad. It was a dissapointment. Robert Trujillo is an amazing bass player....I guess I was hoping for more. I know everyone thinks the record sounds terrible, but it's actually a new groundbreaking technique: All the players play live in a room and the stick microphones up their asses and hit record. AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dfegad
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Head

out1ear, you won't hear Turjillo on this cd.... Bob Rock cut all the bass lines.. Robert was brought in after all the recording was done... And thats sad because I really dig Roberts bass work with ST and Infectious Grooves.
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Maniac

That's a bummer. I'm a bass player myself and when I heard Infectious grooves for the first time I flipped out. There's some great playing on those records!
Old 14th June 2003
Gear Addict

More from Bob Rock on the recording of 'St Anger'
lifted from blabbermouth

METALLICA producer Bob Rock recently spoke to MTV.com about the production on the group's new album, "St. Anger". "I wanted to do something to shake up radio and the way everything else sounds," said Rock, who helped write the music and lyrics and played basslines on the album. "To me, this album sounds like four guys in a garage getting together and writing rock songs."

According to Rock, METALLICA achieved the primitive sound and schizophrenic vibe of "St. Anger" by combining old recording technology with cutting-edge editing software.

"There was really no time to get amazing performances out of [METALLICA frontman] James [Hetfield]," Rock said. "We liked the raw performances. And we didn't do what everyone does and what I've been guilty of for a long time, which is tuning vocals. We just did it, boom, and that was it."

After the basic recordings were done, METALLICA tried to add guitar solos, but Rock and the band ultimately decided to leave them all out.

"We made a promise to ourselves that we'd only keep stuff that had integrity," Rock said. "We didn't want to make a theatrical statement by adding overdubs. If we added something and it helped the mood or what we were trying to convey, that stayed. But if it distracted from that ... then we killed it. Every time we tried to do a solo, either it dated it slightly or took away from what we were trying to accomplish in some other way. I think we wanted all the aggression to come from the band rather than one player."

"A lot of the songs were done in William Burroughs cut-and-paste fashion," said Rock, referring to a style in which a piece of writing is cut into pieces and reassembled at random. "There are movements in moviemaking and in music where you take technology as an art and you actually abuse it. Some people use ProTools to trick and fool the listener, but we used it more as a creative tool to do something interesting and stretch boundaries.

"Technically, you'll hear cymbals go away and you'll hear bad edits. We wanted to disregard what everybody assumes records should be and throw out all the rules. I've spent 25 years learning how to do it the so-called right way. I didn't want to do that anymore."
Old 14th June 2003
Gear Addict

From what he's saying, it seems like his heart was in the right place...

but sadly the record still sucks.

- jon

PS - Just for the record, I used to be a huge Metallica fan (pre-'Black' album) and had really high hopes for this record.

I miss Cliff
Old 15th June 2003
Lives for gear

underwelmed....

I'll chime in and agree with the masses on this one. I heard a cut on the car radio - don't know which song - and after about 20 seconds, I was back to checking out the chick next to me in the beamer. Nothing special at all......

Aren't these guys getting to old for metal anyways? What, are they all about 40 or so? Not to say that's "old" by any means, as I'm approaching that number, but it seems that the style of aggressive heavy metal music is expressed better by the more youthful players....it's almost like Metallica has matured with age, and are trying to go back in time to capture that raw passion......didn't work.
Old 15th June 2003
Lives for gear

Wondering about that snare sound huh??
Attached Thumbnails
"St Anger"-lars.jpg  
Old 15th June 2003
LOL
Good stuff. It's rare to see such unanimity on Gearslutz.
All those Bob Rock quotes sound like cover up to me.
The bit about cymbals cutting off 'cause of edits!
I've recorded retro style with major artists before.
The vibe tends to be more theoretical than practical....
As in, hey we're all playing live to 4 track using 3 mics like The Beatles, so it must sound f***in great.
Usually (if you're lucky) someone at the record company suggests recutting the tracks with a more up to date approach.
Old 15th June 2003
Lives for gear

Just horrid. Sounds like they were going for a 'garage days' thing and failed. I also suspect comped parts from songs recorded on different days, with different mics, in a different studio, with Lars playing a different set of trash cans. For shame.

I guess this is the best way to fight napster: make everything shitty.
Old 15th June 2003
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
...I guess this is the best way to fight napster: make everything shitty.
That was my first reaction when I heard the CD. The guys are not stupid and they are great musicians, so, I expect that they have something up their sleeves, this can't just be the final version..
Old 15th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
That was my first reaction when I heard the CD. The guys are not stupid and they are great musicians, so, I expect that they have something up their sleeves, this can't just be the final version..
But it IS the final version! Do you think that they are going to release a version two (hey maybe they will)? I think they just deluded themselves into thinking it is good.

What happened is that they chopped off their mullets. The mullets were their mojo!

And no guitar solos? I think that was a humongous mistake. Bob Rock saying that guitar solos would date the album is nuts....NOT having guitar solos dates the album.
Old 15th June 2003
Lives for gear

amen, G.

This album tries too hard to be too many things... old garage metallica... numetal... practically a concept album... it's just out and out horrendous. I mean I actually do have some fun with it- in a totally guilty pleasure "this is horrible and I know it" kind of way, but this is just plain retarded. For fun, a few friends from my old prog metal band and I are planning to sit around for a day or so and come up with an album that has the same vibe but sounds better. Just to prove how mindless it is ;-)
Old 22nd June 2003
Lives for gear

Just heard the album's title track..........not really my kind of music so can't comment on that.....but.....it sounds very strange......actually really awful.......thin....digital......harsh........and that snare sound is truely hilarious...........sounds like someone head-butting a dustbin lid...........odd
Old 22nd June 2003
Lives for gear

I just brought it and listened today during setup..
The guy in the band the day before had the same snare sound and loved it. Could not talk him out of it.
Now I know why...
Old 22nd June 2003
Gear Addict

I like the sound of St. Anger. It's sonics are very fitting to the message that the album depicts.
Old 22nd June 2003
Gear Maniac

I have to say I kinda like the snare. OTOH the snare is about the only thing I like about St. Anger. It kinda reminds me of what U2 did around Achtung Baby, which a whole lot of people copied a couple of years after that.

I also miss Cliff.

Cheers
/Henrik
Old 22nd June 2003
Lives for gear

I like the snare on that last track- I think the drums to that tune are fairly cool.
Old 22nd June 2003
Lives for gear

i havent heard the whole disc yet , but what ive heard ...

COOL heh

i expected major production as well - maybe next time .
i think it needs some balls to go back to the roots .

" take a look to the sky just before you die " fuuck stike
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear