The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"St Anger"
Old 29th September 2004
Oh-boy. Gotta love that snare chair sound...
Old 29th September 2004
LTA
Gear Addict

I prefer the washer/dryer combo, as you get more tonal variety. You can work the spin and wash modes with the knob to create some dramatic builds, and putting boots into the dryer is always effective. Just make sure to sniff the drier sheets thoroughly before starting the take.

We've got a "local" band here (although they are up north and therefore cheeseheads) that does a good metallica too. I'm looking forward to Beatallica adding some st anger tracks to their set list. The intro to "things that should not let it be" is pure musical genious.
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Head

St. Anger

I don't like the album much, but it did appeal to the lowest common denominator of fans and non fans. I don't know the inner workings of the band or their budget or anything else for that matter. The 5.1 DVD sounds a bit better, but it's a polished turd.

I speculate, because I want it to be true, that this was to complete a contract, as they soon after went to Warner Brothers and are working with a different producer more in their league. Deicide did something similar in my opinion with Scars of the Crucifix but the album was still good, just not as good as past releases.

I hope the next album is better, but something in my gut says it just might be.

Just my thoughts.
Old 6th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student View Post
I don't like the album much, but it did appeal to the lowest common denominator of fans and non fans. I don't know the inner workings of the band or their budget or anything else for that matter. The 5.1 DVD sounds a bit better, but it's a polished turd.

I speculate, because I want it to be true, that this was to complete a contract, as they soon after went to Warner Brothers and are working with a different producer more in their league. Deicide did something similar in my opinion with Scars of the Crucifix but the album was still good, just not as good as past releases.

I hope the next album is better, but something in my gut says it just might be.

Just my thoughts.
Errrrr...... Bob Rock isn't in Metallica's league?

Discography - Engineer/Mixer

1980 - Loverboy
1981 - Loverboy - Get Lucky
1982 - Strange Advance - Worlds Away
1982 - Payolas - No Stranger to Danger
1983 - Loverboy - Keep it Up
1983 - Payolas - Hammer on a Drum
1984 - Krokus - The Blitz
1984 - Chilliwack - Look in, Look Out
1985 - Honeymoon Suite - The Big Prize
1985 - Paul Hyde and the Payolas - Here's the World for Ya
1985 - Northern Lights - Tears are Not Enough
1985 - Black 'N Blue - Without Love
1986 - Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
1987 - Rock and Hyde - Under the Volcano
1987 - Loverboy - Wildside
1987 - Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
1988 - Bon Jovi - New Jersey
1989 - Paul Dean - Hard Core

Discography - Producer

1979 - Young Canadians - Hawaii (EP)
1979 - The Subhumans - Death Was Too Kind (EP)
1981 - Payolas - In a Place Like This
1987 - Rock and Hyde - Under the Volcano
1988 - Kingdom Come
1988 - Colin James
1989 - The Cult - Sonic Temple
1989 - Blue Murder
1989 - Mötley Crüe - Dr. Feelgood
1990 - Little Caesar
1990 - Electric Boys - Funk 'o Metal Carpet Ride
1991 - David Lee Roth - A Little Ain't Enough
1991 - Cher - Love Hurts
1991 - Metallica - The Black Album
1991 - Motley Crue - Decade of Decadence
1992 - Bon Jovi - Keep the Faith
1992 - Rockhead
1993 - Quireboys - Bitter Sweet and Twisted
1994 - Mötley Crüe
1994 - The Cult
1995 - Skid Row - Subhuman Race
1996 - Metallica - Load
1997 - Metallica - Re-load
1997 - Veruca Salt - Eight Arms to Hold You
1998 - Metallica - Garage, Inc.
1998 - Bryan Adams - On a Day Like Today
1998 - Mötley Crüe - Greatest Hits (new material)
1999 - Tal Bachman
1999 - Metallica - S&M
2000 - Moffatts - Submodalities
2000 - Nina Gordon - Tonight and the Rest of My Life
2000 - Paul Hyde - Living Off the Radar
2001 - American Hi-Fi
2001 - The Cult - Beyond Good and Evil
2002 - Our Lady Peace - Gravity
2003 - Tonic - Head on Straight
2003 - Metallica - St. Anger
2004 - Tea Party - Seven Circles
2004 - Simple Plan - Still Not Getting Any
2005 - Our Lady Peace - Healthy in Paranoid Times
2006 - Nina Gordon - Bleeding Heart Graffiti
2006 - Lostprophets - Liberation Transmission
2006 - Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - Sinner
2006 - The Tragically Hip - World Container
2007 - The Offspring - Currently Untitled
2007 - Mötley Crüe - Currently Untitled
2007 - Simple Plan - Currently Untitled
Old 6th February 2007
And now that this is an open thread again.....

After reflecting on this release from some time and letting it simmer.... I still don't love the production but it is growing on me in a strange way. I do love the songs now, I didn't like them the first time I heard the CD front to back. There are plenty of things to like about the CD actually.

What I think is funny is how people don't realize their own impossible expectations about music, or art or the world in general.

If Metallica would have released a CD full of Ride The Lighting era songs everyone would say they are washed up and they don't have anything left in the tank. If they release something different and new people complain that they didn't release something that sounds like Ride The Lightning......

In short people like to find fault with their hero's and St. Anger is no different.....
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

Rick Rubin

like most of you the sound of the album was a big dissapointment to me.
its like "i can see what you're trying to do, but...."

having said that, 5 bucks says the next one the do with rick rubin will sound ridiculously ****ing awesome. best producer they could have got: he'll give them that raw appeal without sounding like shit.

Rick rubin is the man, even with a silly beard.
Old 14th February 2007
Gear Head

Turn St Anger up super loud and it sounds like you're right there while they're playin in your garage.. that's wat i got out of the record.. but i don't know if they were going for that.. I wouldn't say it sounds bad down low, just raw and gritty. why the **** should it sound compressed here, eq'd here, bleeding baffled, reverbed etc etc.. I don't put autotune on a punk singer yet i don't hear anyone complainin he's out of tune... it's f'n METAL!
Old 14th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamalemusic View Post
...having said that, 5 bucks says the next one the do with rick rubin will sound ridiculously ****ing awesome. best producer they could have got...
Let's not ignore the producer who helped put them on the map and who contributed to the records that have lead to most of us disussing what happened in the first place.

Flemming Rasmussen
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe View Post
Let's not ignore the producer who helped put them on the map and who contributed to the records that have lead to most of us disussing what happened in the first place.

Flemming Rasmussen
Didn't he just engineer the disks? I thought Lars and Jamez really produced the 2nd 3rd 4th disks. Didn't Michael Wagner mix one of them???

As much as I love the first 4 disks I don't really think the production at least sonically is all that great. I thought bands like Accept and Maiden
had better sound disks. Even Among the living sounded better that those early disks.
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Produced, Co-Produced and Engineered much of the early stuff. I believe Michael Wagener mixed Master of Puppets. Not a bad team, huh? ...love that record.

Yea.. although said records may not be groundbreaking in all categories, they are a few of my favorites as well.
Old 15th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I will start off saying that i also grew up listening to Metallica. They are indeed talented and Bob Rock is a great engineer and producer.

The St. Anger album has to be the worst sounding and least musical record ever to hit the record store shelves in that genre. Very disapointing all around.

I would shit in my hand and eat it before I'd listen to that record all the way through again.
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post

After reflecting on this release from some time and letting it simmer.... I still don't love the production but it is growing on me in a strange way. I do love the songs now, I didn't like them the first time I heard the CD front to back. There are plenty of things to like about the CD actually.

What I think is funny is how people don't realize their own impossible expectations about music, or art or the world in general.

If Metallica would have released a CD full of Ride The Lighting era songs everyone would say they are washed up and they don't have anything left in the tank. If they release something different and new people complain that they didn't release something that sounds like Ride The Lightning......

In short people like to find fault with their hero's and St. Anger is no different.....
Nah, Opeth fans have high expectations, and everytime they release an album it's amazing and the fans generally love it. A great band should release something new and fresh that is ALSO great music.
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Nah, Opeth fans have high expectations, and everytime they release an album it's amazing and the fans generally love it. A great band should release something new and fresh that is ALSO great music.
Metallica could just re-play/release the first 4 records and I'd buy'm. Hell, I'd be impressed.

Old 15th February 2007
Nut
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
I disagree. A band should be able to do what ever the hell they like... I don't think there should be an obligation for a band to make anyone happy. They may choose to do so, as it'd be in their interests, but they don't have to do anything.
Old 15th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut View Post
I disagree. A band should be able to do what ever the hell they like... I don't think there should be an obligation for a band to make anyone happy. They may choose to do so, as it'd be in their interests, but they don't have to do anything.
thumbsup
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

You know, that list of Bob Rock's records up there - there isn't a single record on there that I would say is even close to being any of those artists best work. Aside from S&M, there isn't a record on there I own. Shit, Trivium is more Metallica than Metallica.

Someone needs to send Metallica out on tour with Lamb of God, Nile, Amon Amarth, Strapping Young Lad, Opeth, and Hatebreed.

And for the record, James Hetfield is the worst.lyricist.evar.
Old 15th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathMonkey View Post
You know, that list of Bob Rock's records up there - there isn't a single record on there that I would say is even close to being any of those artists best work. Aside from S&M, there isn't a record on there I own. Shit, Trivium is more Metallica than Metallica.

Someone needs to send Metallica out on tour with Lamb of God, Nile, Amon Amarth, Strapping Young Lad, Opeth, and Hatebreed.

You obviously haven't heard Porcupine Tree's lyrics.
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathMonkey View Post

The bottom line is a band that has 10 multi platinum records, 3 members with 100 mil in the bank each and 6 kids between them can't still be pissed off. I bet Cliffs estate alone is worth more than Lamb of God, Nile, Amon Amarth, Strapping Young Lad, Opeth, and Hatebreed's 'estates' combined

You need to pissed off to make good music. Even lightweight artists like Tom Petty and Springsteen made their best records when they were angst and pissed off. Metallica will never be good again. Rick Rubin will certainly not help them.

Metal and Rock and roll are all about hunger, attitude and agnst and Metallica has outgrown those important traits.

MONEY CHANGES EVERYTHING.......................

Another thing that has hurt Metallica over the years are all the bands that have milked the Metallica sound. What once was a unique sound is now just a parody played out by bands from Pantera to Trivium. The sounds gets watered down, and goes stale and loses its intensity after a while.

Same thing happened to Alice in Chains , Rage and Soundgarden. These bands were somewhat original
but all the copy bands after them have watered down thier respective sounds.
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post

I feel the same way.

The album actually grew on me a bit. They were going to get hated on no matter what they did, so at least, if anything, they continued to do what they always do, and that is play whatever it is they want (Load, Re-Load, S&M, Kill-em all). St. Anger has some really good parts to it. It's the same thing as saying 'Load' sucks to say St. Anger is terrible. If you actually listen to Load there is some hidden gem passages on there. Personally I think Rick Rubin can do jack s*** for them... the deciding factor of whether or not it will be a solid record will come from within themselves, not from some rick rubin "more cowbell"ing.

I have no expectations for this new record... if they flop, whatever, if they come through, whatever they're still old and semi irrelevant. I'm just here for the music =)

Excuse me while I go listen to Damage Inc.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear