The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just joined the Focal club
Old 14th April 2010
Just joined the Focal club

Solo6 Be's. Absolutely amazing. I feel like I am floating over here. heh

Big thanks to Simon at Focal and Warren at Zen Pro Audio.
Old 15th April 2010
.....dare me to lick the tweeter?
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Actually I just joined the focal club.

Just ordered a pair of Focal CMS 50's from Zen Pro Audio. heh

EDIT: adam>>>>>>>>focals
Old 16th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Congrats on your Focals! The Solos and Twins are the best monitors I have heard in 35 yrs in this industry.

Last edited by garryrobson; 16th April 2010 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Misread your model choice.
Old 16th April 2010
Gear Addict

Just picked up the cms 65's yesterday!

Helloooo Focal club
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Just ordered a pair of CMS65's. Wheee!
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

a fellow forum member has just shipped my twins today can't wait to get them but that damn volcano is slowing things down around here!
Old 20th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post

All the focals are getting lots of love. The make great primary monitors, then you can have some more run of the mills to a/b with and maybe even an a/b/c config.

But the focals can be the big daddys.

I think for smaller rooms the cms series will do great.
Old 26th April 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:

You're welcome, thank you!!!

War
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Have you tried the Twins? A few weeks ago, I bought both the Solo's and Twin's. Both fantastic monitors. I'm waiting for my CMS-Sub, due to arrive this week.
Old 26th April 2010

I'm ready to move on from ADAM P22's, don't get me wrong they are very cool monitors it's just time for a change. My control room is approximately 400 sq ft. Looking for something good and loud for rock. I was working in a room with SM8's and really liked the gutty sound.
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I'm ready to move on from ADAM P22's, don't get me wrong they are very cool monitors it's just time for a change. My control room is approximately 400 sq ft. Looking for something good and loud for rock. I was working in a room with SM8's and really liked the gutty sound.
A pair of Focal Twins with one or, possibly, two CMS-Subs could be good.
Old 28th April 2010
Best club I ever joined. thumbsup
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

I am currently eyeing the 65's. Looks like a great monitor for the $$$. It should be a nice step up from my current Yamaha HS80's.

Does anyone know how the 65's compare to the Solo 6's? The twins are a little out of my price range.
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79_Limited View Post
I am currently eyeing the 65's. Looks like a great monitor for the $$$. It should be a nice step up from my current Yamaha HS80's.

Does anyone know how the 65's compare to the Solo 6's? The twins are a little out of my price range.
The CMS is a great line, but nothing like the SM6 line. The CMS have less mids, more of a hi/fi sound. Some people like that. The Solo's are more natural and the mids, perfect. I can hear every detail and my mixes translate extremely well.

If you can afford the Solo's, I would say buy them.
Old 6th June 2010
Hey Dean,

When did you dump your Adams? I'm on Solo 6's and love 'em as well. Kind of a game changer when I added them to my workflow.

btw - saw Anika the other night at Paul's gig. Good hang!
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL2 View Post
Hey Dean,

When did you dump your Adams? I'm on Solo 6's and love 'em as well. Kind of a game changer when I added them to my workflow.

btw - saw Anika the other night at Paul's gig. Good hang!
Hey Thai,

Good to hear from you. I sold the Adams a few months ago. I was always having difficulties getting my mixes to sound right on the S3A's. I bought an Adam sub due to the lack of bass, but that made things even worse.

After trying a few brands, the Focal's sounded fantastic. I was so taken by the Solo's, I even purchased the Twins with a CMS Sub. The Focal's translate very well. I'm also getting the Avocet this week. Talk about a game changer!

Best to you.
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Best club I ever joined. thumbsup
How in the world did you afford Focals making $30/song?
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

mixing on the twins for 3 months. I am pumping out my best mixes ever ....
Old 8th June 2010
Jai guru deva om

I have to say there is something about the Twins that my brain likes. I see translation coming up a lot and it rings very true with me also. I admit I have put other speakers next to the Twins and said "wow" but at the same time I am having arguably the easiest translation in my life on the Twins so...

They are such a personal choice, monitors.

The CMS series I have to say there are things about it I dig, lately I am a big fan of monitors with waveguides and find that spacious high frequency dispersion to be a real plus.

War thumbsup
Old 8th June 2010
Gear Nut

I just got my solo 6's about four months ago and moving from the Mackie HR824's to these was a pleasure.
It cut my mix time down and everything translates well.I have a small home based studio that records mainly rock/metal,country, singer songwriter acoustic stuff so these were perfect.

Sterling Sound Studios
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerdude View Post
I just got my solo 6's about four months ago and moving from the Mackie HR824's to these was a pleasure.
It cut my mix time down and everything translates well.I have a small home based studio that records mainly rock/metal,country, singer songwriter acoustic stuff so these were perfect.

Sterling Sound Studios
The HR824 is one thing, but I could never get a grip mixing on the S3a. No bass. You'd figure a monitor that size should have enough bass reflection. I bought a Sub8, but that only made things worse.

I also bought a pair of A7. Too bright. Good thing is that they had more bass than the S3a.

The Focal's are second to none IMO. I'm sure the new Adams are nice, but I'm totally sold on the Focals. I'll take my mixes with me everywhere, and they translate perfectly.

Now the only thing I have to do is re-mix everything that was originally mixed on the Adams.
Old 9th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Landon View Post
The CMS is a great line, but nothing like the SM6 line. The CMS have less mids, more of a hi/fi sound. Some people like that. The Solo's are more natural and the mids, perfect. I can hear every detail and my mixes translate extremely well.

If you can afford the Solo's, I would say buy them.

Dean's right.
Old 9th June 2010
Came from Dyn BM15s to the Solo 6s. The change in my mix style was immediate. As someone else said, mix time went down and translation went way up. Beyond that, they're just a pleasure to listen on.

Welcome!
Old 9th June 2010
Gear Maniac

adam a7s up to solos. very, very happy indeed.
Old 9th June 2010
Here for the gear

Solo 6s are IMHO the best nearfield monitor I heard in a year's testing and A-B ing.

I love mixing on them.
Old 9th June 2010
Gear Maniac

And when the pennies start to come in and you all get bigger rooms, the Focal Twins are the absolute best. Seriously accurate, from below 40Hz to 40k. And beautifully made too - no reason a great studio monitor has to be in a dull black box.
Old 9th June 2010
Gear Nut

gotta say that the focal 65's are a nightmare to mix on compared to the genelcs that i used before i got the focals. but a nightmare in a goodway, cuz its hard to mix bad on them, cuz when you have a bad mix you'll hear that it's bad, and when your mix is good it will sound as good on whatever system you're playing your mix through. with genelecs your mixes will always sound good, but not as good on other systems. fuuck
Old 10th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryrobson View Post
And when the pennies start to come in and you all get bigger rooms, the Focal Twins are the absolute best. Seriously accurate, from below 40Hz to 40k. And beautifully made too - no reason a great studio monitor has to be in a dull black box.
The Twins are top notch! When I mix on the Solo's and switch to the Twins, it sounds identical but bigger. I've never liked a monitor as much as I like these, and with the CMS Sub in the mix, I mean, what else is there so say.
Old 10th June 2010
Lives for gear

...and I should add, I just purchased a Crane Song Avocet. The sound quality is absolutely breath taking. The Avocet's DA is fantastic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search