The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any interest in DIY monitors?
Old 9th June 2003
Here for the gear

Any interest in DIY monitors?

Seeing as there seems to be a very limited amount of plans for real studio monitors around, I thought I would offer some.

First plans would be passive monitors for those on a tight budget.
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Nut

re

Yeah, I'd be interested in that. Especially because I hate near fields and there seems to be nowhere to get cheap far field monitors.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

Have a look at Manger.
The have some DIY monitors.
Old 10th June 2003
There is only one

the problem with DIY monitors are the tools needed to create the cabinet... they arent cheap, most people dont have access to proper tools, and "cabinetry" is an artform unto itself. well, thats just the tip of the iceburg really.

its not like going out an buying a soldering iron.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg II.
Have a look at Manger.
The have some DIY monitors.
That's at least a pretty interesting driver concept they're making (their "MSW"). Has anyone actually heard one?

-dave
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

If you're in the UK, Wilmslow Audio sells kits with which you can build your own ATC SCM-50 or SCM-100 monitors.. I haven't heard the results, nor do I know of anyone who's tried, but it is out there.

Me, I just let the obsessive Germans at Klein + Hummel build my monitors. heh

After all, there's only so many things that I want to be really good at, and building monitors is not on that list right now. Good luck to all ye braver souls.

-dave
Old 10th June 2003
Here for the gear

alphajerk,
Oh, come on the cabinet is the cheapest part of building a speaker (I was going to say the simplest but that depends on you skill) and you can always have someone else cut the wood for you, then it would be a matter of buying the parts from a list and putting it together, it's not rocket science...it's speaker science, and that would be done for you... you'd be shocked at how cheap, cheap, cheap the parts in your current speakers are, but they do have to pay for advertising, R&D, shipping...or should I say you have to pay for it!
Old 10th June 2003
Actually, the enclosure is by far the most expensive part of a good monitor. If you're trying to build NS-10's, then go for it, but if you want a really good sounding monitor without lots of enclosure coloration, the enclosure will cost a lot more than the drivers and crossover combined...
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ds21
... you'd be shocked at how cheap, cheap, cheap the parts in your current speakers are, but they do have to pay for advertising, R&D, shipping...or should I say you have to pay for it!
No, I'm usually shocked at how little DIY'ers who think they're saving a fortune must value their own labor--apparently around $0.30/hr.

If you enjoy making making speakers as a hobby, by all means, go nuts, but that doesn't mean that we're being ripped off by buying off-the-shelf, or that you can build mastering-quality monitors in your basement. I've seen people try that one before, and the results weren't pretty.
Old 10th June 2003
There is only one

the cabinets are the most essential part of the speaker and the hardest to build RIGHT, and not exactly CHEAP either... well at least MY time its not cheap. for ME to build a set of cabinets PROPERLY and CORRECTLY, it would easily cost me $7500 in my labor time alone, and i have TOOLS [and lots of woodworking experience... just MY plans for a cabinet is very time intensive]

and you cant just build a cabinet and expect to throw any ole drive in them, you have to choose the drivers and build the cabinets around those and what frequencies they are going to handle.
Old 10th June 2003
Here for the gear

OK, you guys are right about making "Mastering quality far-field monitors", but people on a budget which I thought this catagory was under, wouldn't have the room to support that type of speaker, I not fooling my self into thinking that my room/studio can support this type of speaker. It's my fault for not being clearer, this would be near-field type monitors (I save mid-field for paying customers), and for that type of monitor, or I still say, even for far field, the cabinets are the cheapest part, unless your using some sort of composite (which I do for some of my baffles, thats the front part of the cabinet where the drivers sit), and I never said your being "ripped-off". And I don't know how much you make per hour but if you can make $7500 in two days what are you doing "Between a rock & a hard place"

Hey those ADAM's are on my list to copy, nice speakers

P.S. I've been dong this "hobby" building speakers since the mid 80's.
Old 10th June 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by ds21
OK, you guys are right about making "Mastering quality far-field monitors",
I'm talking about speakers in general. I, too, have been building speakers since the 80's...

Quote:
this would be near-field type monitors (I save mid-field for paying customers), and for that type of monitor, or I still say, even for far field, the cabinets are the cheapest part, unless your using some sort of composite (which I do for some of my baffles, thats the front part of the cabinet where the drivers sit),
Well, then you are building poor cabinets. The amount of time required to build the cross-bracing alone is substantial...

Like I said above - if you're looking for highly colored monitors, go for it. But if you want even handed nearfileds, it's still going to be expensive to do it right.
Old 10th June 2003
Here for the gear

it's still just wood.
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Addict

I don't know where you're getting that, because they're nearfields, somehow the construction is cheap or easy. If that's your belief, I wouldn't have a lot of faith in the designs.

Plenty of us are using mostly nearfields--I know I am--but that's independent of the build quality of the monitors.
Old 10th June 2003
Here for the gear

well it will be out there if anyone's interested, I'm not here for debate. true it will be up to the persons skill level, which is just basic anyways, if you don't think your up to it...don't try it.
Old 11th June 2003
There is only one

two days to complete a pair of speakers? more like 7 days. and its not really wood, its sawdust and glue. cabinets should be made of at LEAST 3/4 MDF, preferably thicker [the better]... finish surfaces should be wood veneer or synthetic material covering the MDF.

i dunno. a pair of tannoy reveals seems cheap enough to compete with any hobby speaker project. drivers alone are $300 for a two way system.
Old 11th June 2003
Here for the gear

just keep talking
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Addict

ds, try getting Kev interested at recording.org's Tech Talk forum. He's done some speaker building in his time and has some experience in the waters you're looking to dive into. Also, at prosoundweb.com, Harvey Gerst has a thread stickied at the top of his forum about monitors and the various tradeoffs that go into different designs. It might be instructive to look into that.

A lot of the reticence here is that it's easy to build monitors, but it's just as easy, if not more so, to do a crap job of it. The best reason to embark on this DIY is to learn to do it again better the next time and so forth. Personally, I dare not to tread here, but you might have more adventure in you.

Bear
Old 12th June 2003
Here for the gear

Gone Fission,
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out, In the 20 year I've been doing this I've learned a lot, but aways willing to search for more info. Oh I agree that it's not easy designing speakers, I've seen so many people looking for some kits/plans on the web, they ask if this or that will work not thinking about the different crossover or shielding that's required in nearfield monitors ... which is why I'm going to offer plans ( strange how some people almost seem threatened be this), without the proper testing/measuring equipment your just guessing at what your doing, even then it takes years to kind of know what will work and what won't, gee kind of sounds like recording, I remember getting the first 4 trk cassette recorders and thinking it doesn't get better than this...
Old 22nd September 2003
Here for the gear

great idea! could you please email me some details?
Old 25th September 2003
Lives for gear

I have a friend who makes very inexpensive monitors that sound absolutely killer. Very functional. Just eminence & motorola parts in some handbuilt cabs. He's built and sold a few hundred of them now. I have 3 pair.

They're very powerhungry, and of course you need a suitable amp to run them.

I geek out on lots of spendy gear, but when something works this well and completely meets my needs, why mess with it?

BTW, I have heard a few slight variations on the speaker placement within the cab, and it makes a tremendous difference. Basically he got lucky one day and stumbled onto something by mistake that really works really well. A slight deviation from that, and it sounded like junk. I don't think it would work well to just make one pair- a lot of trial and error would probably be involved. And luck!
Old 26th September 2003
Gear Head

Time alligning them would be hard. I have heard some DIY monitors at a local studio and I was not really impressed. Just go buy some dyn's
Old 26th September 2003
Here for the gear

where are all the tech-cats?....glenn phoenixs of the world please feel free to join this thread. ;-)
A good friend has been dyn-HiFi-developer and now doing his own speaker designs. He has built me some custom dyns(passive) with some soundneutral EQ-switches to my specs in terms of size/chassis. In the meantime I have lots of experience with cabinet-construction and damping.
The hardest part could be the crossover-layout and things like time alignment. I believe that there is no perfect monitors fitting each listener-but each listener using custom monitors
could work best. Lots of people say westlakes are the most usefull mixing monitors... never worked on them...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear