The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tracking/mixing with the Trident/Radar
Old 8th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Tracking/mixing with the Trident/Radar

Hey Guys,

I know some of you have a Trident console, and thought I would solicit some advice for tracking/mixing procedures.

I'm taking delivery on a Radar24 to hook up to my Trident 80C in a few weeks, and I'd like to know how you all would approach tracking/mixing with this setup.

I was thinking to connect the radar simply like a 2" to the 24 multitrack in/outs at the patchbay via the tuchels. I believe this will normal the recorder to the 1-24 busses.

Tracking should be as simple as selecting the appropriate buss group on each line/mic input to route to the corresponding track, I believe. Monitor through the split monitor section.

When it comes to mixing, I guess I will patch the multitrack outputs back to the main line inputs, so as to mix on the main section, and save the monitor returns for effects returns etc.

Seems like allot of patching. Is there a simpler way?

I should also mention this console has two stereo busses, any thoughts on extra uses for the extra stereo buss. Also it has the patching and monitoring capabilities for 2 24 track machines.

Lastly, there are no phantom power select switches on each line channel? Someone told me I will have to pull each line/mic strip to configure? Any suggestions there? Obviously, I will not need/want phantom power on all channels?

Thanx for the help.

Best,

Mack
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Tracking/mixing with the Trident/Radar

Quote:
Originally posted by dbluefield
Hey Guys,

I know some of you have a Trident console, and thought I would solicit some advice for tracking/mixing procedures.

I'm taking delivery on a Radar24 to hook up to my Trident 80C in a few weeks, and I'd like to know how you all would approach tracking/mixing with this setup.

I was thinking to connect the radar simply like a 2" to the 24 multitrack in/outs at the patchbay via the tuchels. I believe this will normal the recorder to the 1-24 busses.

Tracking should be as simple as selecting the appropriate buss group on each line/mic input to route to the corresponding track, I believe. Monitor through the split monitor section.

When it comes to mixing, I guess I will patch the multitrack outputs back to the main line inputs, so as to mix on the main section, and save the monitor returns for effects returns etc.

Seems like allot of patching. Is there a simpler way?

I should also mention this console has two stereo busses, any thoughts on extra uses for the extra stereo buss. Also it has the patching and monitoring capabilities for 2 24 track machines.

Lastly, there are no phantom power select switches on each line channel? Someone told me I will have to pull each line/mic strip to configure? Any suggestions there? Obviously, I will not need/want phantom power on all channels?

Thanx for the help.

Best,

Mack
All you have to do is to connect the Radar to the tape out/returns.
When you come to mixing all you do is flip the tape return buttons at the top of the console main strips and your tape returns will come back via your channels. Its many years since I have used a Trident 80 and I can't off hand remember if you also have to switch the monitors off the tape channels to prevent yourself getting two returns from the Radar. Certainly you don't need to repatch!

As to the phantom issue, as long as your mic leads are all properly balanced there is no problem in having phantom on channels not using capacitor mics, though I thought the Trident had individual Phantom switches on each channel.

Regards

Roland
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Tracking/mixing with the Trident/Radar

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland
All you have to do is to connect the Radar to the tape out/returns.
When you come to mixing all you do is flip the tape return buttons at the top of the console main strips and your tape returns will come back via your channels. Its many years since I have used a Trident 80 and I can't off hand remember if you also have to switch the monitors off the tape channels to prevent yourself getting two returns from the Radar. Certainly you don't need to repatch!

As to the phantom issue, as long as your mic leads are all properly balanced there is no problem in having phantom on channels not using capacitor mics, though I thought the Trident had individual Phantom switches on each channel.
I think the patchbay is set-up so that multi-track o/p 1-24 feeds both line i/p 1-24 and tape i/p 1-24, no re-patching necessary. For tracking, the input channels would be set to mic i/p, while the monitor channels can monitor either the group o/p or tape i/p (globally switchable in the aux section.) To mix, just select line i/p on all the input channels and something besides tape i/p 1-24 on the monitor channels, such as the group outputs. To assign a sub-group to the main mix it has to go through a monitor channel anyway, unless you patch it back into an input channel. You can patch your effects outputs into the second set of 24 track i/ps, and assign those to the main mix via the monitor channels not used for returning sub-groups.
The phantom switches are on the input module's cards, so they do have to be removed to change them. If you want to play it safe, just leave it disabled on a few dedicated channels for tube and ribbon mics. HTH
Old 9th June 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
The phantom power switches are internal on the 80 series desks. You can either leave them all on or set up a handful of channels that are either on or off and repatch as needed.
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Maniac

thanx for the replies, so far. The manula is kinda sketchy. I'm sure it will make clear sense, once I get going

Any other tips?

Best,

Mack
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

Here's my tracking tip,

Quote:

Don't send the mic channels to the RADAR via the group busses. Patch the insert send of each mic channel directly to the RADAR inputs. This bypasses the insert return buffer, the fader buffer, being knocked down to a low level bus signal then re-amplified by the group summing amp, the group insert return and group fader buffers. If you have to combine mics to a track you can run it that way, but otherwise keep the path short and direct. HTH

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search