The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wiring the Live room
Old 8th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Wiring the Live room

I'll be setting up the wiring for my live room in the next month or so and I am seeking advice for what to include for Mic inputs/aux sends/and anything I might need.

Room is only 15 x 30', so I won't be tracking any full orchestras. Most likey small rythm sections/rock/jazz etc.

Console has 32 line channels/24 monitor split console (Trident 80c). I was thinking 16 mic inputs would be sufficient. Is that enough? Tracking drums/bass/guitars/paino/vocal situation. I was thinking of using half my mic/line inputs in the studio to save room for control room mic inputs, as well as 16 mor mic inputs for tracking in different parts of the house. Any thoughts?

Monitor/Headphones: A stereo out for the consoles "studio output" for the studio monitors. Extra outputs would for a "more me headphone system?" I wanted to offer either the aux4/5 foldback or let them tailor their own mix.

Anything I'm missing -- this is my first real install.

Thanx,

Mack
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

I'm in the on-going process of doing the same thing (a bit smaller room, though...) and I have found a couple of "gotchas"...

1. If you limit yourself to the number of mic feeds, you may need one more...if you have the dough, maybe a wall plate with 24 feeds...then patch the ones you want to the board from there...

2. Guitar players love to sit in the control room and have their amps in the tracking room during overdubs...you may want to add a couple of 1/4 feeds (or just use 1/2 of a TRS feed) go accomodate that.

As it turned out, I ended up getting a 16 X 4 50' stage snake and running that...this gives me 16 mics, 4 stereo hp feeds; or with some creative patching and dynamic mics 19 and 1 stereo feed going into a HP amp...also leaves open the guitar in CR option....so far this work very well for me.
Old 9th June 2003
One with big hooves

Depends on how many iso booths you have. I like to have at least two XLR lines from each iso and at least 16 in the main room. If the drummer has a huge kit I could very easily use 12 or 14 of them. You might want to think about doing 20 or 24 from the main room and doing some kind of mic level patchbay for other areas of the house. Don't forget about 1/4" guitar and speaker level lines.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear