The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Songs with the most obvious use of autotune Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 9th November 2005
Gear Head

Songs with the most obvious use of autotune

Autotune is one of those things once you notice it for the first time you always notice it from there on. I would like to know which songs people have heard that have the most noticable use of autotune. I know there are some people that use it for effect, like Daft Punk, or that Cher song from quite a few years back. I'd like to know which songs it's easy to recognize, but wasn't intentionally used as effect. There are quite a few salsa songs I've heard that are incredibly obvious, but I don't have any I know by title. The song by Lit, My Own Worst Enemy had blatant autotune in the chorus. Any others?
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Uncle Kracker, Follow Me
I can't stand listening to that one - the vocal is compressed to crap and autotuned out the *$$.
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

The're autotuning salsa now?

Oh man

I so HATE that sound now... it's going to ruin about 15 years of recorded music... a lot of people just put it on automaticaly now... and a lot of kids think your music doesn't sound done ti'll its autotuned to death.

I even hate it as any kind of effect now.

the only time I'd use it is on single notes on a track i can't get into tune.

But still, imagine sinatra or ANY other classic singer with autotune on ALL their recorded works.

F**k it, lets not have musicians anymore, just cut n paste, edit, autotune, quantise. Hell, just write a damn computer program that writes and records the music, and we can get back to the more important things in life, like counting my money.

I'm no luddite, but sheesh, what are we DOING to music? Is it really better like this?

Even f**king punk bands are autotuned these days.

The out of tune bits are where the emotion is goddamnit.

/end rant of the week
Old 9th November 2005
Gear Head

I agree, auto-tune oftentimes leaves a pretty obvious signature once the sound is learned.

Although, there have been instances where I have chosen a less "perfect" track over another due to the fact that a vocal riff was nailed so good that it sounded tuned. That's my *big* question. How many of you guys have opted not to use a particular sung word, riff, phrase, etc. due to the fact that it sounded like it had been tuned, even though it hadn't.

Didn't mean to derail any intent of the thread...just wanted to throw in a question that I have had on my mind.

Best! -Tweed
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Great post. I need to compile a list.

One that comes to mind is Jo Dee Messina, the song Stand Beside Me off the I'm Alright album.

Everytime my wife would listen to it, it would drive me nuts. I hear the massive autotuning on many country releases.

How do the country producers making these records not hear how bad it sounds?

Todd F.
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

I remember watching a Ricky Martin show (NYC, I think)
He had danced and sung and gotten really tired.
They put more and more AT on the vocals.
In the end it was almost 100% saw waves....

ruudman
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Arvil Levine. Complicated. So terrible.
Old 9th November 2005
Gear addict

Nickelback! I don't have any of their albums but was tempted to buy the latest one after hearing that Shipshape had done a couple of mixes and the rest are Randy Staub. Had a listen at the record store but the auto tune was killing me!
Old 9th November 2005
Gear addict

..and Craig David when he does his little scale run thingos, they sound so drawn in.
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Any Kenny Chesney or Kieth Urban...and man is Tim McGraw stuff hienously abused.

It is SO accepted by the fans as natural that it is completely overdone.

It's bound to happen that someone on the road crew screws up the vocal chain and the auto-tune gets out of line or the wrong setting is used!!

It's fun as hell using an arabic scale and watching the look on the someones face!
Old 9th November 2005
Gear nut

Audio Slave

One of the best rock singers ever tuned to crap.
Superunknown is one of my favorite records ever and the audio slave I hear on the radio keeps me from buying it because of the tuned vocals.
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldswirlo
Audio Slave

One of the best rock singers ever tuned to crap.
Superunknown is one of my favorite records ever and the audio slave I hear on the radio keeps me from buying it because of the tuned vocals.

Audioslave? Really? That's sad. Your not talking about the song where the music cuts out at the end, and his voice is pitching shifted up and down are you? That's more of an effect I think. Are there other parts where you can hear the autotuning? Is so, that's a little depressing. Chris Cornell has always been one of my favorite singers, and I wouldn't think he should require too much autotuning. He does sound like he could stand to quit smoking though.
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

... the new single from Falllout Boy, "Sugar We're Goin Down". Good song, great rock mix, but the autotune is quite annoying.
Old 9th November 2005
Pretty much any of the New Metal bands.. Lincoln Park...Alien Ant Farm, LIT

Its all over the Red Hot chilli Peppers. IMHO, the singer has turned 'over cooked' leaf blower L2'ed & Auto Tuned vocals into his own, Cyber Pop signature sound.. So full credit to him for it.

Leaning on the Auto Tune controls a little too hard became / has become ? a "production value' for hard rocking corperate wanabe music genres..

Like it or not...

IMHO
Old 9th November 2005
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddF

How do the country producers making these records not hear how bad it sounds?

Todd F.
Unfortunately we don't always have a say in what we do to what we record. If the label wants it tuned you'll tune it or you wont get paid. It a sad state of affairs when the hottest trend in popular music is crazy brickwall limiting and auto tune. Some of these country guys even use racks of auto tune live. each one tuning the vocal a little more than the last to try and preserve the natural sound.
Old 9th November 2005

T. Pain "I'm Sprung" is the absolute worst use of Auto-Tune you will ever hear!
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDrive
Audioslave? Really? That's sad. Your not talking about the song where the music cuts out at the end, and his voice is pitching shifted up and down are you? That's more of an effect I think. Are there other parts where you can hear the autotuning? Is so, that's a little depressing. Chris Cornell has always been one of my favorite singers, and I wouldn't think he should require too much autotuning. He does sound like he could stand to quit smoking though.

I love the guys voice but from what I have heard on the latest live stuff he is shot. I can imagine that because his throat is so bad they had to do something.

About the whole subject, two points....

1) For years it has been public perception that "studio tricks" were responsible for everything the audience heard on the record. I had people tell me 15 years ago that "the guy can't sing like that, they did that in the studio".... go figure.

2) There is a little bit of chicken and the egg here. The general public gets used to hearing really really good pitch (unnaturally so) and their ear gets used to it, they expect it so the engineer gives it to them thus reinforcing their need for more auto tune to achieve unnatural pitch.
Old 9th November 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Pretty much any of the New Metal bands.. Lincoln Park...Alien Ant Farm, LIT

Its all over the Red Hot chilli Peppers. IMHO, the singer has turned 'over cooked' leaf blower L2'ed & Auto Tuned vocals into his own, Cyber Pop signature sound.. So full credit to him for it.

Leaning on the Auto Tune controls a little too hard became / has become ? a "production value' for hard rocking corperate wanabe music genres..

Like it or not...

IMHO
It's because Anthony Kiedis thinks he's a "singer" now. (He isn't.)

Although really, if I were making that much money playing with a sock on my c0ck I'd autotune just for the fun of it!
Old 9th November 2005
Gear addict

[QUOTE= Although really, if I were making that much money playing with a sock on my c0ck I'd autotune just for the fun of it![/QUOTE]

THATS FREAKING FUNNY!!!!!!!
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

I used to think rock was bad.... I was flipping through the radio stations the other day, and landed on a country station.

The current crop of country music has the WORST auto-tune I've ever heard!

It was laughable... and EVERY song sounded like this. I wondering if there's a go to auto-tune guy in Nashville or something.
Old 9th November 2005
Gear addict

Anybody see that SNL with somebody playing Ashlee Simpson in the studio and they have this machine that they keep turning the knob and her voice keeps getting better and better..!!

Funny stuff!!
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
T. Pain "I'm Sprung" is the absolute worst use of Auto-Tune you will ever hear!
Just heard this song for the first time. God that's awful. They should have used more autotune on the chorus, and much less on the verse. Nothing but flat notes on the chorus, and the verse is just obnoxiously tuned. The verse sounds like it could have been a pretty emotional part if they wouldn't have ruined it that way. The whole song is terrible to listen to.
Old 9th November 2005
Gear addict

Turn on your radio to your local country music station. That song thats playing....yeah.....that one.
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene
Any Kenny Chesney or Kieth Urban...and man is Tim McGraw stuff hienously abused.
I'll admit I'm a bit of a McGraw fan, but there are a few songs that are so Auto tuned I can't even listen to them. A few great songs from him are totally destroyed in my opinion just from way to much over tuning.

What the hell are they thinking?

Shane
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddF

One that comes to mind is Jo Dee Messina, the song Stand Beside Me off the I'm Alright album.
Yep. Some great sounding tracks once again totally destroyed and ruined.

Shane
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan

Shane

SALES.
Old 9th November 2005
Gear maniac

"She Will Be Loved" Maroon 5

The guy can obviously sing so I'm assuming it's there for effect.
Takes away a lot of the humanity though.
Old 9th November 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
I love the guys voice but from what I have heard on the latest live stuff he is shot. I can imagine that because his throat is so bad they had to do something.

About the whole subject, two points....

1) For years it has been public perception that "studio tricks" were responsible for everything the audience heard on the record. I had people tell me 15 years ago that "the guy can't sing like that, they did that in the studio".... go figure.

2) There is a little bit of chicken and the egg here. The general public gets used to hearing really really good pitch (unnaturally so) and their ear gets used to it, they expect it so the engineer gives it to them thus reinforcing their need for more auto tune to achieve unnatural pitch.
Is it 'unnaturally good pitch' the posters here are hearing and complaining about? I thought it was artifacts from poor use of a tool and/or overuse of an imperfect tool. So which is it?

I posted a song in the mp3 section a while back, "Father Of Our Son", where I used autotune all over both the vocals and the lead guitar. Nobody mentioned overuse of Autotune. Does this mean that I am good with Autotune, or that instead I simply didn't understand how to use it enough to make things have 'unnaturally good pitch', or that simply enough of the right people didn't listen to it?

Thanks.
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail
SALES.
True.

Shane
Old 9th November 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan
I've heard plenty of stories about singers showing up, singing it once or twice, and then leaving it for the Pro Tools Guy "fixed." Perhaps they have a 11am tee time and and an appointment with their financial adviser they just can't miss. fuuck

Anyhow, the thing I hear with blatant auto tuning is not just artifacts but the way the voice lands RIGHT ON the note and stays nailed there. Intonation is a big part of emotion and vibe and when every note is dialed dead on is starts to sound like a midi patch of a singer.

I have worked on projects where the producer wanted things tuned...and then tuned again. And possibly a third time retuning the already tuned stuff. Total souless bull****e.

I'm not opposed to on the whole, just the knee jerk application of it.

-D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search