The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sebatron VMPx000e users Condenser Microphones
Old 8th June 2003
Here for the gear

Sebatron VMPx000e users

hi. I'm looking at Preamps and I'm in Australia. I didn't want to spend much more than a grand AUD.

I can get an RNP (SS) for about that, or a VMP2000e (tube) for 1200ish.

The main thing I want to record via this preamp is male vox - probably with a Studio Projects C1, though the Rode NTK may also be a possibility (I have neither of these mics at the mo.) I have a BBE bass preamp with DI, but would like the option of the decent bass DI in this pre too. Other than that - a bit of piano and a small drum'd be the only things I was after - the rest I'd go via midi.

Unfortuantely, I can't really try out much of this stuff side by side. I know it's possible to get a 30 day money back guarrantee offer via Sebatron, but I'm not sure about the RNP.

I've seen the Great RIver MP-2 for about 1500, but that's a bit more than I want to spend (unless it's head and shoulders above the other 2 and I doubt that'd be the case).

This is my first preamp too, so diversity is quite important.

any users of this Sebatron product tried out some other pre's side by side with it? how's the Seb. compare. Reckon it'll suit my needs?

cheers,
Mouse
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

I have a sebatron, and I like it very much. If you can get a chance to try it, go for it.

I havent compared it to a RNP, but it holds its own in the company of V72's.

This week its been on amps, drums, vox and every time a winner.

The great river is also very good and that price if its AUS seems very cheap. If you dont go it let me know where it is.
Old 8th June 2003
Gear Maniac

I know just how you feel!

Us aussies can't get our hands on gear, without having to pay for it first. I live in Brisbane, which is useless as far as msuc gear goes, unless you like behringer, all of our banjo shops stock behringer! We have one fairly good recording gear shop here, but they have never even heard of Sebatron. What are we to do? Do we buy sight unseen, with only the recommendations of out gearslut brethren? Maybe we buy Behringer "toob" gear and save the rest of the dough for beer? If there is a retail store in Australia with a Great River 1-NV on display, I will catch a flight there just to check it out. Ditto for the Sebatron, RNP, Vintech, and a variety of other exotic bits.

Sorry for bitching. As far as advice goes, all are apparently very good. However I know a guy who is color blind, so we are not always getting the same picture, you know? Let us know which way you go, I need for personal testimony before I lay the hard-earned down.
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

perhaps their might be a studio in town that has the gear you want to try, either hire it or the studio and try it that way.

Anyway, serves you right for living in Queensland.
Old 8th June 2003
Here for the gear

hi guys - thanks for your posts.

Adam - you paint a good picture. That versatility sounds like what I need. The MP-2 is the new RRP price, so you could prolly get it cheaper. I found it at the wholesaler webpage. Email them for sellers near you http://www.innovativemusic.com.au/new.htm

(scroll down the page till you find it) That is the only Great River product they advertise, but I imagine they'll be getting in their other products too at some stage.

Supaheef - I'm from Brisbane too origanally, though currently a bit west of Toowoomba. I've found Music Lab to be the best for recording gear. They've just moved to Bowen Hills. The other shops have some good and some bad guys, but all in all I've just been fed too much crap by them to bother anymore.

If you guys are interested in the RNP, it's at www.frontendaudio.com.au in SA. The guy Mick seems pretty nice and has always offered me decent discounts when I've asked him (except to RNP). He's also got the Studio Projects line of mics.

thanks again for your posts and other Sebatron users, I'd be glad to hear of your experiences.

"squeak"
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

thats not a great river MP-2, its a A designs, Ive not heard anything about them.

The real Great River MP-2mh (from Fletchers site) is $1930US, closer to $3000aus and the rest for shipping and tax.

PS I will also recomend the C1
Old 8th June 2003
Here for the gear

eh? well there ya go - damn confusing labelling. I saw the A design part, but right underneath it they mention the GR MP-2, so I assumed it was that. OH well they say assume makes an
ASS out of U and ME - me in this case.

cheers for the C1 rap.

so the Sebatron would be a good pre to start wih you think? I know the answer's subjective, but IYO?

"squeak"
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

I think also that price in that review is also $US looks like to me. If Seb is offering you a money back deal if you dont like it, you have nothing to lose. I have met him personaly (he droped my unit off) and he is a straight up guy.
Old 8th June 2003
Here for the gear

thanks again Adam. YEah he's always been nice to me in emails. I was sold, until the RNP became available last week. then I started rethinking.

I'm getting my DAW built this week and all the rest will follow shortly. SX 2.0 should be out in 4-6 weeks (apparently), so will wait for that.

then it'll be hardcore learning time!

"squeak"
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

have the dual sebatron preamps been discontinued?,, sounds like that would be just my ticket! if anyone can help me track a unit that would be great!
Old 9th June 2003
Here for the gear

are you talking about the 2 channel one? They (the VMP2000e) is a rel. new product and as yet isn't up on the website. You can get one for about 1150AUD or with optional VU meters for about 1250AUD. (IMO it looks empty without the VU meters)

the 4 channel one (VMP4000e) is on the website for about 2500AUD

hope this helps,
Mouse
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

yeah i am talking about the 2 channel VMP2000e. Thing is I am in the us, so i'd like to get it here in a short time frame and also not have to pay to darn much. thanks for the help!
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

Can you sebatron users think of any better dual channel pre as a clean slate pre that is in the same price range as the seb? I am really thinking of taking the plunge on this one. Thanks!
Old 9th June 2003
Here for the gear

I have heard great things about the Grace101 in terms of an uncoloured pre. That's only a single channel though, but you'd get one for less than the VMP2000e. I've never tried one though, but the Grace has too many fans for it to be hype.

"squeak"
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Maniac

gear gods

Oi supa heef!
I am a fellow queenslander (gold coast) And rest assured that good gear is alive and well is brisvegas.
Go see a mr Joe Malone, jlmaudio.com
he builds marvellous stuff and really knows his ****. he's one of those gear boffins that knows everything. He talks in this funny language that only gear boffins understand.
I've got racks of JLM gear and am very happy with it, plus if anything goes wrong It can be sorted quickly and by someone you trust. Thgere is a lot to be said for that.
P.S I've heard nothing but cracking reports about the sebatron stuff too.
Seriously though, when in brisbane, see joe.
Either way, buying aussie stuff when in oz just makes more sense. The yank stuff is just too expensive out here once you do the conversion and add tax. Plus if anything goes wrong it takes AGES to fix. There is plenty of good stuff available here in oz. It is just a bit harder to find that's all.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

what do you mean by "cracking" ?
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Maniac

cracking = great.
Old 10th June 2003
Here for the gear

hey hammer - thanks for that Joe MAlone site. The guys in Music Lab were telling me about him actually - all good things, but I didn't realise he had a website. cheers for the address and I'll have a gander now.

"squeak'
Old 10th June 2003
Here for the gear

here's Joe's website: http://www.jlmaudio.com/index.htm

jmlaudio.com is an american co. :D dammit - I can't read.

"squeak"
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Head

Also, just a Gratuitous little plug for my company in Australia - GTA Music:

We distribute:
- D.W. Fearn
- Vintech Audio &
- Sebatron

right here in Sydney.

Let me know if I can help you Aussies out?

Cheers,
Wayne Gardner
GTA Studio Sydney Australia
Engineer | Mixer | Producer | Mastering
Ph 61 2 9975 6568
Mobile 0412 077748
Email: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.gtamusic.com
Old 23rd June 2003
Here for the gear

bump for others
Old 23rd June 2003
Here for the gear

bump for others
Old 23rd June 2003
Lives for gear

Self Promo Sux!

Wiggy
Old 25th June 2003
Here for the gear

piss off - I'm asking, not promoting.

what's with the paranoia surrounding some new products these days?

just cause I'm new, doesn't mean I'm in the employ of this guy.

"grumble"
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

Dude...

chill out..

That statement was in reference to companies that 'plug' thier wares, not users who are after genuine opinions on gear... which is why we are all here arent we? I just dont like to see these boards, especially this one where its like a nice little 'english village' community where we all get along well, hijacked by self serving comercial interests. I buy/sell/ import lots of stuff but refrain from mentioning and advertising on here as i feel its a conflict of interest (this is the first instance of me mentioing that).
I hope i have not caused you any offense and you can see where i am coming from.

By the way you should sheck out the sebatron stuff cos for the $$ its fantastic and competes with many of the big brands we all aspire to own. I have known Seb for about 7 yrs now and seen his products progress well in that time.

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 25th June 2003
Here for the gear

Thank you Wiggy - that's the kind of info I'm after.

I've just seen a few people bag this guy when questions have been asked on other forums and only advice was asked. I DO understand where you're coming from and I agree that self-promo is not good.

So sorry for getting annoyed - my previous experiences with asking about this product came into play there.

love, lentils and pink flowers

Mouse
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

Sweet mate..... keep them lentils to ur self tho! ..lol all is well! thumbsup
PEACE
Wiggy
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

Someone spammed a lot of forums and RAP a few months ago about sebatron... All where new users.
Weather it was a PR person, a mate or some over zealous user.. It has left a bad taste in a few peoples mouths...
The same thing was done with amplitude and a few other things recently. A lot of spam hype by new users with post #1....

Even though I live near by and have two people I know build them, personally I have not tried one.. Probably should you know..
With any product after the researching is done you are going to have to demo one for yourself. Places with money back (i think sebatron is one) are at least a safer bet.

Hope you understand where the paranoia has come from.
Old 25th June 2003
Here for the gear

I've heard in the past that Sebatron = Aussie Behringer. What are some sonic comparisons?
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

WTF, who said that.

Aussie Great River more like it (or something like that)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search