The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Barefoot Micromain 27 vs. Adam S3A shootout!!! Read all about it!!!
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

Barefoot Micromain 27 vs. Adam S3A shootout!!! Read all about it!!!

Deleted.
Old 8th November 2005
Hey Tet,

Really nice review.

Like any speaker until you bring it home and try it in your own enviroment do you really know its for you.

But besides that you've peaked my interest.

Is there a guesstimate price for a pair?
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

Around the same price as the ADAMs. Maybe a tiny bit more.
Old 8th November 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness
Around the same price as the ADAMs. Maybe a tiny bit more.

Wow that's pretty good.

I am going to have to start saving the pennies and get inline for next year.
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

I know. I've been firting with the idea of backing his company. I might do it. I'm going to crunch the numbers.
Old 8th November 2005

Quote:
He wanted to make some final calibrations to the MM12s.
thanks tetness, interesting review. Only thing is though I was wondering what "final calibrations" meant? And I assume the Adams didn't have "final calibrations" done to them?

thanks
narco
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

The final calibrations were done on the MM12s, which he is getting ready to send off to to a buyer. I asked them to bring those so that we could compare them to the Micromain 27s for kicks.
Old 8th November 2005
Quote:
I know. I've been firting with the idea of backing his company. I might do it. I'm going to crunch the numbers.

Man with all this new stuff around my gear budget for next year is already used up.
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

The 27s, have have subwoofers, two on each side; this creates an amazing balance within the cabinet. When you crank it, it doesn't even shake. I was so impressed with the 27s that I ordered my own pair right them and there. The studio engineer who allowed us to use his studio put in an order as well.
2 subwoofers on each side....can't wait to see the pics

Good spirited review, sounds like you really fell in love with them.
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

schweeeeeeeeeet !!!
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl
2 subwoofers on each side....can't wait to see the pics

Good spirited review, sounds like you really fell in love with them.
Sorry, typo, "one" subwoofer on each side.
Old 8th November 2005
Gear Addict

Thanks for the nice review Tetness thumbsup
Now I am really excited

Roundbadge, could you please post your pics and review.heh

Quote:
can't wait to see the pics
In the meantime, here is a pic that Thomas sent me 6 weeks ago.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachmen...id=11718&stc=1
Old 8th November 2005
NL5
Lives for gear

Dare I ask how much $$ for the 27's?
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

hmm....

I'm putting S3A's in my room. Crap...guess I'll have to do a shootout myself sometime soon.

Any release dates or are they available now?
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL5
Dare I ask how much $$ for the 27's?
Around the same price point as the ADAMs, maybe a couple hundred more.

Thomas is not taking order right now. He doesn't want to get backed up, making them one at a time, etc... He will be making a batch of twenty pairs. Once they are done, there will be no wait time. You buy, Barefoot ships. There will be phone support, warranty, all the normal stuff a real company will offer.
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

This is too bad, I JUST bought a pair of S3A's.
I had read your posts awhile back about barefoots,
so I tried to call them but got no answer.
How long before these micromains are actually available?
In the meantime, I love my S3A's.
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

curious what mixes you listened to as a ref?

what speakers were the ref mixes mixed on? NS10s maybe? wouldn't that be ironic if it was a Clearmountain mix or a Wallace mix done on NS10s.
drew
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516
This is too bad, I JUST bought a pair of S3A's.
I had read your posts awhile back about barefoots,
so I tried to call them but got no answer.
How long before these micromains are actually available?
In the meantime, I love my S3A's.
I love mine, too.
Don't sweat, things do not turn to crap overnight.

ruudman
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

And barefoot's not hyped?

By all means, they're probably awsome.
But I'm an atheist when it comes to monitors;
no one can save me. I'll have to learn bit by bit, and make life good in the end..

ruudman
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

If these news are true then they have been arranged by my personal voodoo.
Had contacted the Adam people whether they could come over and help callibrate my monitors. They first sort of agreed for this week ( for no cash, just for cake´n coffee and a trip to the restaurant afterwards ) which had me really obliged, and then they cancelled, saying they couldn´t really help me.
Guess they came to realize that I´m no name to care about. :O/

Now there is another name to care about. he he

Ruphus

PS: Would be nice if Thomas Barefoot wouldn´t follow the route of Focal and thelikes in making fantasy prices once the fish bite. The **** is settled more than expensive enough already. - And I´d like to get my hands on such too one day without first marrying an oil princess like Bush´s doughters or such.
Old 8th November 2005
Gear Addict

I had a chat with Tetness today and he mentioned that the midrange of the Minimain is superior to that of the Micromain (marginally and not enough for him to upgrade to the MM12). I am curious to know if this is a product of the Bryston power amps on the Minimains. It would appear that the minimains crossover @ 110Hz (mid/sub), so it left me thinking that the power amp may be the culprit and that it does make a sizable enough difference (assuming the amps in the Micromains are of high quality). Perhaps its time for Thomas to chime in. Or anyone else, for that matter. Hell, I don't even have a studio or Barefoot monitors anymore and these things still captivate me.

BTW, Tetness mentioned that he was quite kind to the Adams in the review. heh
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

I give it 3 years before a new speaker comes out that beats the barefoots in a head to head test and everyone NEEDS to have that speaker!

This is a very funny industry.

Oh, and sign me up for a pair! haha.
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
JAll I can really say is that we all just sat back and listned to CD after CD on the 27s, and fell more and more in love with them. Once you get used to them, you don't want to hear anything else.
It would be interesting to hear from someone who actually mixed on them. I was going to send my S3A's back to Fletcher until I happened to listen in my car to a rough mix I had done on them--it was perfect and had only taken me about 10 minutes. Not trying to add to the Adams hype, cuz there's certainly already enough out there, but I don't think listening to a bunch of CD's really tells you all that much about how a speaker will work for you.

If a good proportion of those CD's didn't sound like crap then the monitors were lying to you, LOL.

-R
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

I want to clear some things up: I hate threads that create all kinds of hype and make you feel like you made the wrong purchase -- I apologize for that. First off, the ADAMs are great speakers!! I loved mine, and mixing on them is a no-brainer. Hit records were made with speakers that don't even touchs the ADAMs. Sometimes you need to put away your check book and just make music. Gear purchasing can be and often becomes a form of procrastination.

I will not pretend that I am an expert engineer with a golden pair of ears. I'm far from that. I am a hobbyist that makes his living by writing screenplays. So take my opinion of the Micromain 27s with a grain of salt. You can get excited when we go to Ocean way with a team of working engineers and really put the speakers to the test.

I don't want this thread to turn into a feeding frenzy of opinions about a speaker that has not stood the test of time. In my opinion, great products are proven products. And although the Micromain 27s (in my opinion) are great -- they're still not proven. And Barefoot is still a ways from being the company that I would like it to be. There have been undeniable problems having to do with customer support and communications. These problems need to be addressed immediately. Currently, I have no affiliation with Barefoot, except that it seems like an intriging venture investment, and I have an amicable relationship with Thomas. If I do enter a business agreement with him, I will respect Gearslutz and refrain from using this arena as a way to sell and make money.
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I want to clear some things up: I hate threads that create all kinds of hype and make you feel like you made the wrong purchase -- I apologize for that. First off, the ADAMs are great speakers!! I loved mine, and mixing on them is a no-brainer. Hit records were made with speakers that don't even touchs the ADAMs. Sometimes you need to put away your check book and just make music. Gear purchasing can be and often becomes a form of procrastination.

I will not pretend that I am an expert engineer with a golden pair of ears. I'm far from that. I am a hobbyist that makes his living by writing screenplays. So take my opinion of the Micromain 27s with a grain of salt. You can get excited when we go to Ocean way with a team of working engineers and really put the speakers to the test.

I don't want this thread to turn into a feeding frenzy of opinions about a speaker that has not stood the test of time. In my opinion, great products are proven products. And although the Micromain 27s (in my opinion) are great -- they're still not proven. And Barefoot is still a ways from being the company that I would like it to be. There have been undeniable problems having to do with customer support and communications. These problems need to be addressed immediately. Currently, I have no affiliation with Barefoot, except that it seems like an intriging venture investment, and I have an amicable relationship with Thomas. If I do enter a business agreement with him, I will respect Gearslutz and refrain from using this arena as a way to sell and make money.

Great post!
Old 9th November 2005
Here for the gear

I hope people don't buy into this Barefoot hype. Based on some guy listening to a few mixes.

No one ever said the S3As were the best sounding speakers in the world. They're just now widely believed to be one of the very best to mix on when it comes to getting mixes that work and translate.

I've heard dozens of speakers that sound better than the S3As. But until one of them becomes as widely regarded as a professional tool as the S3A is, it's all hype. You hear this same "sounds amazing" nonsense with the Lipinskis.

I'd like to see the credits page of the Barefoot speakers and see which legitimate hitmakers are actually using them.

Maybe the Barefoots will become a new standard, and maybe they will be fantastic tools. But anybody who knows anything about this business knows monitors that "sound amazing" are rarely the best monitor choice.
Old 9th November 2005
hbj
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChilds
I hope people don't buy into this Barefoot hype. Based on some guy listening to a few mixes.

No one ever said the S3As were the best sounding speakers in the world. They're just now widely believed to be one of the very best to mix on when it comes to getting mixes that work and translate.

I've heard dozens of speakers that sound better than the S3As. But until one of them becomes as widely regarded as a professional tool as the S3A is, it's all hype. You hear this same "sounds amazing" nonsense with the Lipinskis.

I'd like to see the credits page of the Barefoot speakers and see which legitimate hitmakers are actually using them.

Maybe the Barefoots will become a new standard, and maybe they will be fantastic tools. But anybody who knows anything about this business knows monitors that "sound amazing" are rarely the best monitor choice.
That's a great point. You could put this guy's silly review on a shootout between any moderately full-range monitor from Radio Shack and NS10s. It means nothing.
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Hey all, it feels good to be back. I'm extremely happy with the mm27 and I hope everyone gets a chance to hear it. It's not my place to comment on the "shootout" aspects of this thread, but I'm happy to answer any questions about my speakers.

Thanks!
Thomas
Old 9th November 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MChilds

By whom?

The majority of hits mixes are still done on NS10's.

I've tried the Adams and honestly i couldn' take to them.

I just couldn't get used to the way tweeter sounds.

To me it sounds seperated from the speaker.

And for me to fork out 5 bills just to find out i have to learn it is ludicrous.

Either it works for you or it doesn't.

I hear guys tell stories of fighting the speaker but sticking it out because so many people here rave about it.

Sometimes a speaker just isn't for you.

That's why the majority of my mixes are still done on NS10s.

And guess what i didn't have to fork out 5 bills to learn it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search