The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Coolest Animal Sounds
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

Coolest Animal Sounds

I nominate The Hawk.

There's one flying around in the fog outside right now, calling to it's mate.

That's one of my favorite sounds.

More. Go.
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

I always kinda liked an elephant roar reversed... Insta-star wars.
Old 8th June 2003
Here for the gear

there's a goose that lives in the dam next to me. It's got this unearthly scream/call. I want to record it one day when I get the right gear. Don't what what the hell I'll do with it, but it'll be fun.

"squeak"
Old 8th June 2003
The inner city foxes round here sh!t me up, when they cry out late at night it always sounds like a baby being murdered
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

Guatemalan howler monkeys... I think I've got about an hour of them on DAT somewhere around here.

-dave
Old 8th June 2003
Mindreader

I'm with Jules. scary.
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

Coyotes howling in the distance...doves cooing....ditto the hawk...owls (sidebar: what did they call barn owls before barns were invented?)...in essence: desert sounds.

Perhaps the most unique I've heard lately: my pit bull growling when he feels threatened (usually by a turtle, dove, or something else completely harmless - he's kind of a dumb dog... ) I haven't scoped it, but I SWEAR he's got some subsonic stuff happening...
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
Guatemalan howler monkeys... I think I've got about an hour of them on DAT somewhere around here.

-dave
You mean the ones at the Zoo or did you go to Guatemala?
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
sure i understand having some extra scratch drum track lying around, but i've never been able to say "let me just grab that howler monkey dat i have lying around". ya got me beat there.

how about whale sounds? pitching down big animal sounds can make some wonderfully surreal soundscapes.
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

My big black mutt, Rufus, when he's deep in a doggie dream: has a wide variety of sounds - from snuffling/whimpers, to cries that sound uncannily human...

OT - as I was out catching dinner on the lake yesterday, the sound of the lake's ice candling as it melts is very cool - reminicent of a zillion ice cubes tinkling as it slowly melts - wish I had brought my portable to record it, but alas, missed the chance. However, the consolation prize was a couple of beautiful lake trout for supper!

Have a great weekend!
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
I went to Guatemala. Beautiful place... Years ago, I won a traveling scholarship from the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, and went with my portable DAT and some microphones to Central America. I've got recordings of howler monkeys at sunset near Tikal, plus some wild turkeys, cicadas, thunderstorms, wind, fish-salesmen, and on-bus snack vendors... etc, etc, etc from Guatemala, Belize and parts of Southern Mexico.

The howler monkeys are probably the most impressive wild animal sounds I've ever personally committed to tape. It's a hell of a sound to attract the opposite sex .. I suppose it's the howler monkey equivalent of "how you doin'?" ie: howler monkey walks into a bar and says "hhHHHNNNNGAAAAAAAAAAAOOOHHHHHHCCHHHhhpphhh!!!" .... I guess chicks dig that .

-dave
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
The inner city foxes round here sh!t me up, when they cry out late at night it always sounds like a baby being murdered
I had a similar experience with what we think turned out to be a peacock.

One evening about 13 years ago, I and about 5 friends were just relaxing with beers in the back yard at the house where I was living in Newton, Mass.. In the woods around us we heard what we were sure was a woman crying for help.

Several of us darted into the brush, calling out such heroic stuff as "WE'RE COMING--HELP IS ON THE WAY!!", "LEAVE HER ALONE!!" and such. One of my friends ran into the house to call the police. When they arrived, we hadn't heard any more sounds and worried we might be too late.. so we all stopped, and listened intently.. hoping to still be able to save a life ..... After about 5 minutes of everyone "shush!"-ing each other, we finally heard it again....

The cops burst into laughter, and in their inimitable accent called us "frickin' ree-taahds" and told us that it was a peacock mating call.

-dave
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

a cat purring is one of the most relaxing sounds that i can think of. i plan on encorporating some of that into future compositions.

i haven't tracked it yet, but my neighbor has a cat that's kind of an outside cat which visits me often and is very vocal as far as felines go. i just got one of the RNP's, so i'll use it when tracking. this cat kind of invites herself in to my house a lot, so i'll just pet her a bit in front of a mic and voila - original animal sounds.
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Nut

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pounce
[B]a cat purring is one of the most relaxing sounds that i can think of.

Interestingly, one of the worst sounds is a cat being sprayed by a skunk. That'll keep you up all night.
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

so really, we can rate sounds on a "cat" scale - from purring being the best to the being sprayed by a skunk worst extreme, which i think i can imagine and it ain't pretty.
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

I once put the mpc into record and got my cat to run across the keyboard, does that count? It made avant-garde fusion of the highest order
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Nut

Seagulls may be nasty creatures, but they sound damned cool. Especially on a stormy day, just before the storm hits, it's a spooky melancholy sound if I've ever heard one.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaseed
Seagulls may be nasty creatures, but they sound damned cool.
If one more of them craps on my boat your seagull recordings may become far more valuable. (Recordings of extinct species usually are...)
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

peacocks since they sound like dying babies

/edit

looks as someone already beat me to it
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear