The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is the MLB adding in sound effects to games? Drum Pad Controllers
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Is the MLB adding in sound effects to games?

So ya, who's excited for baseball?! So I was watching the Braves game and every time a pitcher threw a ball you could hear the ball rocketing through the air, it was really loud and obnoxious... I figured it had just been a while since I had watched baseball and just tried to ignore it, but it was SO loud. Then I started switching the channel to a few other games and realized that it was just the Braves game that was doing it.

I wish I could find a video clip, but did anyone else notice this with the Braves game or any other game? I'm pretty sure it was too loud to be them just boosting a mic that the umpire had or something along those lines, it also sounded so consistent and just rocket like, I swear they were adding in FX for the pitches....
Old 7th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
So ya, who's excited for baseball?! So I was watching the Braves game and every time a pitcher threw a ball you could hear the ball rocketing through the air, it was really loud and obnoxious... I figured it had just been a while since I had watched baseball and just tried to ignore it, but it was SO loud. Then I started switching the channel to a few other games and realized that it was just the Braves game that was doing it.

I wish I could find a video clip, but did anyone else notice this with the Braves game or any other game? I'm pretty sure it was too loud to be them just boosting a mic that the umpire had or something along those lines, it also sounded so consistent and just rocket like, I swear they were adding in FX for the pitches....
I think just the fact that you were watching a Braves game brings up other issues that should be focused on more.
(Just kidding Mets fan here).heh

Each Baseball network approaches their micing feeds differently on the field. It is true there is more hyped up sound than what you normally hear if you were in attendance in person, but that is how they get viewers to subscribe.

So yeah it definitely is possible that some kind of sound effects are being added to enhance the overall vibe or feel of the game.
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Head

I know a guy that does sound for the Red Sox every once and a while, and usually you are hearing a combination of the shotgun mic pointed at the pitcher, and the one pointed at the strike zone. Usually the mic near the bat has to be a decent level because the execs want a loud bat crack when it happens.

But then again they might have started to add effects, but those might be added by those pesky video guys.
Old 8th April 2010
Vum
Lives for gear

Not being a snot, but, HOW would they add fx to an object going between 60-100mph for 60'6"? Is is just someone pressing a variety of "zoom" sound effects on an mpc?

And if you are the batter, the ball does make that sound. Could be a mic near the plate or on the umpire.

Steeeeeeeeerike!
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

mics within the bases as well as many, many spots around the field and along the outfield wall to give u that in person feel- supposedly.
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Addict

are the braves on tbs? i noticed the same thing on some of the tbs covered mlb playoff games...kind of annoying.
that could of just been the sound of your braves clobbering the heck out of my cubbies.
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Maniac

ESPN used to add sound effects to the crack of the bat. I have no idea if they still do.
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Okay, having actually worked with several sports broadcast crews, I can attest that they have several mics (in some cases parabolic mics with 2-4 + operators depending on the game / sport) just to capture these kinds of effects. I am not 100% sure, but would wager good money that nobody anywhere is sitting around a padKontrol with sports samples waiting for just the right moment...... thwack! No way, dude. Those guys in the trucks have got wayyyy too much other sh*t going on to worry about that. Especially since a lot of games are live or live-to-tape or have very minimal edit times. Good mic placement and good work by the A1, that's what you heard. thumbsup
Old 8th April 2010
Vum
Lives for gear

That's what I figured. Thanks for droppin' the science.
Old 18th May 2018
Here for the gear

I'm currently watching the Red Sox and the sound affect was annoying me so much I Googled it and found this post. The noise is absolutely added sound affects and get this, it's only when the Sox are pitching. Do not hear it when the away team is pitching. I wish they would stop it!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

These sound effects don’t stop on the ball going into the strike zone but has a whooosh sound when the ball is returned to the pitcher.its so annoying that I put the game on mute.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Necro thread!!!

There is NO WAY networks are adding bat-to-ball sfx in-game.

YouTube

FF to :28

You think someone is going to sit there and press a button as the ball is a few feet from the plate? Well, yeah, they could, but they'd have to know whether or not the batter is going to make contact ahead of time. They obviously can't press the button after they make contact; it has to be before. So, they press the button as the ball is a few feet from the plate - and the batter swings and misses. Or maybe doesn't swing at all. Then what?

Same with the sound of the ball hitting the catcher's glove. The guy doing sfx would have to know if the batter was going to swing, swing and make contact, or swing and miss - in advance.

What SC started doing, and I find this highly annoying, is bat-to-ball sfx in replays. So, they show a slow-mo replay of the last hit, and as the batter makes contact, crack. Which is ridiculous, but technically possible.

Cheers.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I think there is definitely someone there who is opening these mics as the ball is thrown. You can often hear the crowd noise come up with the whooshing sound and then get lower until the next pitch.

when the crowd is noisy, it can be annoying, as it almost sounds like the crowd is "whooshing" themselves.

The sound effects idea, like most conspiracy theories collapses under the weight of some very simple tests. One such test is the "Henchman Payroll" test. How many people need to be employed in order to pull off (and cover up) a seamless conspiracy and what real advantages are the Illuminati getting for this money?

Quote:
The guy doing sfx would have to know if the batter was going to swing, swing and make contact, or swing and miss - in advance.
So the games are rigged, is that what you are saying?

I have read people in the comments section who are convinced that such-and-such a batter had the ability to deliberately hit the ball to an exact certain part of right field where an Amoral Henchman at that exact spot in the stands would deliberately interfere with fielder.

Last edited by joeq; 1 week ago at 09:18 PM.. Reason: for
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
So the games are rigged, is that what you are saying?
WHAT?!?! Where the hell do you get that from?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
WHAT?!?! Where the hell do you get that from?
sorry, forgot to add this:

Surely for the Illuminati - who control Everything after all - it would be child's play to determine ahead of time which batters will swing and which will make contact.

I mean if we are going to have a conspiracy where the networks are adding sound-effects to a ball game, let's make it a real conspiracy - where they are actually rigging the game, down to balls and strikes, so that they can add their sound effects!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think the last time I really watched a baseball game was 10 years ago when I made this thread, haha!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Surely for the Illuminati - who control Everything after all - it would be child's play to determine ahead of time which batters will swing and which will make contact.

I mean if we are going to have a conspiracy where the networks are adding sound-effects to a ball game, let's make it a real conspiracy - where they are actually rigging the game, down to balls and strikes, so that they can add their sound effects!
Ok, you are drunk.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Couldn't they automate it so that when a threshold is reached on the batters box mic signal, the sound fx play? I don't know how they would know to trigger a 'bat' sound vs a 'catcher's glove' sound tho. Maybe realtime spectral analysis?

Also, there is a substantial delay between the radio and TV broadcasts. I'll listen casually to the radio broadcast with the TV turned down, and after something happens, I'll look up at the TV with plenty of time to see the pitch and whatever happened.

I doubt they add effects to the live feed, but I don't think it would be so difficult as to need more than one extra person, if that. I'd love it if they did add sounds, but got the fx samples scrambled so you hear them at the wrong times.

A couple of NFL teams got busted for piping in fake crowd noise when the visiting team was trying to call plays. Not the same thing, but it was a crackpot conspiracy theory until someone got 'caught'. MLB is especially concerned lately with attracting non-octogenarians, and they definitely goose the mics, but who knows whether they add artificial sweeteners? I don't think they're above doing it...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I know it's ridiculous, but I just have to mention it... I was a Communication major in college, it was generally considered the "jock" major as it didn't require many credits. I was working in a recording studio all through college, so I was one of the only guys in that major at the time with any real tech knowledge. Having interned at different places during school, you would be surprised by some of the mundane jobs other people in my major were given at events and internships if they weren't too bright.

I REALLY wouldn't put it past one of these networks to sit a college kid down and say "push this button during each pitch to make a sound". I know it's really unlikely, but all you guys saying something like that is "crazy" have clearly never had to deal with an intern pool full of frat guys who got jobs at TBS because the owner was in the frat. Just saying...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I REALLY wouldn't put it past one of these networks to sit a college kid down and say "push this button during each pitch to make a sound".
So, what sound is produced by hitting that button? Bat hitting ball? How would they know the bat is going to hit the ball before it happens?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, what sound is produced by hitting that button? Bat hitting ball? How would they know the bat is going to hit the ball before it happens?
Just to be clear, I made this thread 10 years ago so I have no frame of reference or remember what I was hearing. It sounds like I was hearing the sound of the ball going through the air after the pitcher threw it. I have no dog in this fight, but it wouldn't be ridiculous to say a network is blending in additional sound effects like that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just to be clear, I made this thread 10 years ago so I have no frame of reference or remember what I was hearing.
Understand that!

At the same time, I wasn't responding to what you said 10 yrs ago; I was responding to what you said 1 hour ago.

And it wouldn't be ridiculous to say a network is blending in additional sound effects - no. I don't think they are, but it wouldn't be ridiculous to think that.

But it is ridiculous to think that they are blending in ball hitting bat and ball hitting mit sfx.

Cheers.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Necro thread!!!

There is NO WAY networks are adding bat-to-ball sfx in-game.
I've been seeing/hearing) added sfx in network NBA games off and on for a long time. They'll do a slo-mo replay of a jumper and fire off a "bottom-of-the-net" sample.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
In those cases they're not triggering samples, they're yanking the feed from a parabolic mic up and down. With zero finesse, most of the time.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Understand that!

At the same time, I wasn't responding to what you said 10 yrs ago; I was responding to what you said 1 hour ago.

And it wouldn't be ridiculous to say a network is blending in additional sound effects - no. I don't think they are, but it wouldn't be ridiculous to think that.

But it is ridiculous to think that they are blending in ball hitting bat and ball hitting mit sfx.

Cheers.
I agree, it would be a lot harder/impossible to trigger a bat sound. I don't think I ever said that, I'm still talking about the sound of the ball going through the air when the pitcher throws it. That's one's at least predictable and somewhat constant.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hilarious Joe!
Chris
Old 1 week ago
I'm sure I'm not the only guy old enough to remember when away games were 'recreated' by the club's broadcast team at home, from telegraphed or teletyped descriptions, often using prerecorded sounds like the crack of the bat and crowd sounds. This continued into the 1950's.

Here's a remembrance of it and an interview with one of the practice's most notable participants:

Only the Game Was Real: The Aesthetics and Significance of Re-created Baseball Broadcasting | SABR Baseball and the Media Research Committee
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Understand that!

Cheers.
The bat/glove noise thing came from me I think, playing devil's advocate wondering if they COULD even do that accurately. Some of the broadcast delay isn't physics and tech - they give themselves time to edit obscenities or switch cameras in case of a wardrobe malfunction. I have no idea how hard it would be to add sounds during that time. Maybe the intern could be watching both the live feed from the center field camera and the delayed broadcast feed, and gain some reaction time by only needing to add the sample in sync with the delayed feed?

I'm not claiming that they actually do this. I think they probably DON'T add fake bat/glove sounds. It's just, when I read people write that it's impossible, I wonder if and how it could be done. I have no idea whether my scenario is actually feasible to do live, with how the networks have things set up. I doubt they do it because... wouldn't the interns screw up noticeably sometimes? It might be possible to attempt, but just not worth that risk, especially with social media watching like a hawk and ready to pounce.
Old 1 week ago
I haven't watched baseball in forever (and am actually hoping against hope my gullible town that never met a boondoggle it didn't fall in love with doesn't build a new stadium for one of the teams clustered around the major market hub of LA that's looking for new suckers) but my thinking here from what's been written (and the fact we live in an era when even some high end auto nameplates put sound effects generators under the hood to simulate 'satisfying' engine growl) is that the stadium sounds probably are managed and enhanced -- though I think it would be much easier to simply enhance the existing sounds as a number of folks have suggested (rather than some kind of sample replacement type strategy... MLB ain't modern metal, eh? )
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
With zero finesse, most of the time.
not about anything but hearing what is there .. shove up all the faders and then pull out what is bad !! try doing that on a DAW with a Mouse during a live event !!! yahoo !!

unless the Event is tied to a Playback Device (video with audio following) .. there are many many channels in sports that are just Faders up to an FX bus and there might be 60-70 channels of this .. most likely coming in digitally (MADI or AES) and triggered by the Video Switcher ..

then the Live MIc's ... i have worked a couple of high level college football games, and it was all Live Mic's and Fast Creative Mixing .. and sometimes you miss stuff !! oops .. Sports has a bit more Latitude for missing things .. not Announcers or Package Roll in's but the FX mic,s and things ... there is a lot going on .. Baseball, i was asked to do San Diego Padres and i was told it was 120 channels .. about 70 of FX triggered by switcher, once it is routed, no need to think about it unless something is wrong ..

blah blah ..

so, now i will be listening a lot more during baseball season !!!

to the OP .. thx for bringning this up ... interesting subject ..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search