The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stereo Mic Suggestions Condenser Microphones
Old 6th April 2010
Stereo Mic Suggestions

I'm looking for a stereo mic as a gift for a producer/musician that I work with. I want a mic similar to the AKG C34, or C422, Neumann SM2, but I can't afford them. I Know Peluso makes one as well as Avant, any others come to mind? I do not want a pair of mics, I already have matched pairs (Neumann, AKG, Sennheiser, Royer, etc.) I want a single body mic that can do X-Y and possibly Blumien, for acoustic guitar and perhaps drum overhead. I'd like to have about 4 choices so I can evaluate and make an informed decision.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Head

Sontronics Apollo.
Old 6th April 2010
I already have a Royer SF12, I'm looking for a sdc single point.
I would think that some of the guys that sell this stuff might chime in, it is appropriate in this thread.

Steve
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Check out the Shure VP-88.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

I know nothing about these but Cascade has the X-15 stereo ribbon and AT has some lower-end models, as well as the AT4050ST. Since the AT4050 seems to get respect around here, for a little over a grand, the stereo version begs investigation. Also, as mentioned above, the VP88 is a pretty cool option, with an on-board matrix for a lot of stereo decoding and imaging options. On the cheap, there's a stereo version of the MXL V67, the V67Q. I've been tempted many times to pull the trigger on that one considering how much love the V67G receives here but there is next to nothing as far as reviews of it so you'd be going in blind (deaf?)
Old 5th April 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
I know nothing about these but Cascade has the X-15 stereo ribbon and AT has some lower-end models, as well as the AT4050ST. Since the AT4050 seems to get respect around here, for a little over a grand, the stereo version begs investigation. Also, as mentioned above, the VP88 is a pretty cool option, with an on-board matrix for a lot of stereo decoding and imaging options. On the cheap, there's a stereo version of the MXL V67, the V67Q. I've been tempted many times to pull the trigger on that one considering how much love the V67G receives here but there is next to nothing as far as reviews of it so you'd be going in blind (deaf?)
My understanding of the V67Q is it really has no little relation to the V67G since it uses the capsules of the 603, not two V67G capsules. I am also seeking a single point stereo condenser mike, preferably with a larger diaphragm.
Old 5th April 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsonage View Post
Sontronics Apollo.
Yes, this is supposed to be very nice.

I hear great comments from users.
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

I would suggest the AT4050st as well - Just used a pair of the AT4050's for OH's and was just thinking it would be easier to get the stereo mic version . They sound great as OH for drums as well as a room mic and on Acoustic gtr etc .
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

Rode NT4 is an option...
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

I have used the heck of the Shure VP88 and highly recommend it. I used it to record a rehearsal of a wind ensemble once on 20 minute notice as a favor for a friend, which later became "the" recording that got published. I would have brought Neumanns if I would have known, but the recordings sounded great anyways.

A stereo mic is cool because it is really fast to deploy.

Tim
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

I have a Nevaton 48 that, to my ear, sounds absolutely fabulous. Great stereo mic, nice and warm, and I also really like it as a vocal mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search